Passer Ratings from Wild Card Weekend: Josh Allen is #1

BigBuff423

7 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That was pretty amazing.  Baker finished 21 of 34 for 263 yds, 3 TDs.  Played well, including a couple of key runs.

There was one point in the game - at the end of the first Q as I recall, where one of the announcers said in bemusement "it's hard to believe that the Browns are up 28 - 0 and Baker Mayfield has passed for less than 50 yards"

He did play well. No doubt the jumpstart the defense gave him did wonders for his confidence. He played with tremendous swag after that 1sr qtr.

Just now, billsbackto81 said:

He did play well. No doubt the jumpstart the defense gave him did wonders for his confidence. He played with tremendous swag after that 1sr qtr.

A 4 TD lead will do that for you.

2 hours ago, die hard bills fan said:

Allen vs Lamar hopefully will be a rivalry to last for years... but how will Lamar's game translate over the long haul.  How many years can he run like he does and if/when he slows down how effective will he be.  Josh is a passer, he can run but his run game is complimentary.  He could play for 10+ years--even if he loses some arm strength it should still be way above average. 

I much prefer Allen over Lamar.

I'm not offering to trade our QB to anyone for anything!  But both McDermott and Frazier stressed that the Ravens have added a lot to their offense this year. 

Part of that is, much as some folks here don't like to hear it, improved passing.  He had some struggles earlier in the season, 4 of his first 8 games were <60% completion and 3 of those 4 <55% completion.  But he seems to have worked on it and worked through it during the season and I respect that a lot; of the most recent 8 games, only 2 <60% and 1 right at 55%.  I could be off but to my eyes what he's gained during the season, is some improved ability to throw outside the hash marks particularly to the L.

I think it's possible that Lamar (and a number of QBs for that matter) will use the Josh Allen jump as motivation to work on their own throwing mechanics and see what they can accomplish in the off-season as well.

As far as Josh, what encourages me most is how he speaks about seeing what great care Stefon Diggs and others take of their bodies.  Perhaps he doesn't need to take it to a Brady-like extreme of having a "personal quack" or living on avocado ice cream and kale shakes, but IMHO what "did for" Big Ben vs. some of the "elder statesmen" at QB, Brady and Brees and Rodgers and even Rivers and Fitz, is that the latter have always, or have learned to, take super good care of their bodies and to really train and work on their conditioning and strength in the off-season.  Hopefully Josh heads down that path.

2 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

Right. The defense played well through the third quarter, particularly given the field position differential and time they spent on the field. That's why I felt the game was under control when the Bills went up 24-10 early in the fourth. I didn't at all anticipate the defensive drop off for that stretch in that 4th quarter. 

I am sure they will do all they can to ensure there is no repeat performance against the Ravens.

Sounds like we struggled when they switched to their up tempo Offense for some reason.

17 hours ago, CorkScrewHill said:

IMO. Baker is fine .. and he is no longer making bad mistakes. He will not win you a game, but doesn't look like he will lose it for you either. Against Pittsburgh most of his passes were short with YAC and with the big lead, Pittsburgh assumed rightly the Browns would mainly run .. so when the Browns did pass it was easier.

For the first 8 games of the year Baker worked with Alex Van Pelt to eliminate mistakes while offense contracted on running. 

When Baker showed he could follow reduced playbook they expanded playbook.