ROCKPILE REVIEW - Just Another Patriots Game

Shaw66

On 11/1/2020 at 10:50 PM, Shaw66 said:

The Bills don’t look like an elite team, but they’re building.  

To me, it looks as if they're starting to stagnate. 

They look like the 2019 team in terms of potential. 

The offense is better because Moss is better than Gore. But obviously, our group of linebackers are terrible. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

The offense is better because Moss is better than Gore. But obviously, our group of linebackers are terrible. 

Diggs makes the O much harder to defend then it was last season IMO. Beasley has become practically unstoppable. Add the down hill running of Moss as a change of pace and running style of Singletary. While the D seems to have regressed a bit from last season the Offense of the Buffalo Bills has made big improvements IMO. 

Oline needs to get and stay healthy...

Edited by Figster

1 hour ago, Figster said:

Diggs makes the O much harder to defend then it was last season IMO. Beasley has become practically unstoppable. Add the down hill running of Moss as a change of pace and running style of Singletary. While the D seems to have regressed a bit from last season the Offense of the Buffalo Bills has made big improvements IMO. 

Oline needs to get and stay healthy...

I don’t think it’s going to be that easy.

Beasley is a possession WR and not a true difference maker, as much as I like him.

Diggs, true, but where has he been? He’s been out there and he’s become a 70 yard WR.

Moss is an upgrade over Gore, but no way that moves the betting line of an NFL game, same with Offensive Lineman. 

The offense really comes down to Allen making plays. If the zone defense is now the accepted excuse as to why the scoring has come down, then when does that change?

Defensively, you knew a regression was coming. No way are you going to keep holding teams to 17 ppg year after year. It looks like the decisions to not retain Phillips, Lawson, and the retirement of Alexander (replaced by Klein) out weight the personnel decisions, although those decisions in the long run probably don’t alter the course of the franchise.

I think being at 6-2 again this season, forces the fundamental question here: how much do you believe in Josh Allen to get the Bills to the next level (winning A Playoff game this season). 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I don’t think it’s going to be that easy.

Beasley is a possession WR and not a true difference maker, as much as I like him.

Diggs, true, but where has he been? He’s been out there and he’s become a 70 yard WR.

Moss is an upgrade over Gore, but no way that moves the betting line of an NFL game, same with Offensive Lineman. 

The offense really comes down to Allen making plays. If the zone defense is now the accepted excuse as to why the scoring has come down, then when does that change?

Defensively, you knew a regression was coming. No way are you going to keep holding teams to 17 ppg year after year. It looks like the decisions to not retain Phillips, Lawson, and the retirement of Alexander (replaced by Klein) out weight the personnel decisions, although those decisions in the long run probably don’t alter the course of the franchise.

I think being at 6-2 again this season, forces the fundamental question here: how much do you believe in Josh Allen to get the Bills to the next level (winning A Playoff game this season). 

Beasley has been a big difference maker in several games and seems to keep rising to the occasion know matter how big the play. 3rd and forever guess who Allen is looking for, thats right Cole Beasley.  Its not just about Allen, its about good ball distribution. Josh Allen has plenty of play makers around him to help carry the load IMO.

I'm a glass is half full kind of guy, yours is half empty. We both would like a fuller cup. I think If the team starts playing to its fullest potential the kool aid starts to rise for both of us.

9 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Really?  Nothing about the addition of Diggs?  Allen’s improved play? 

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Figster said:

Beasley has been a big difference maker in several games and seems to keep rising to the occasion know matter how big the play. 3rd and forever guess who Allen is looking for, thats right Cole Beasley.  Its not just about Allen, its about good ball distribution. Josh Allen has plenty of play makers around him to help carry the load IMO.

I'm a glass is half full kind of guy, yours is half empty. We both would like a fuller cup. I think If the team starts playing to its fullest potential the kool aid starts to rise for both of us.

I think part of Beasley's success is what we all expect when the Bills got Diggs.   Beasley isn't a better player this year than he was last year.   But he's more productive.  Why?  Because he gets lots of man coverage out of the slot with Diggs outside, and because the zones over play to keep track of Diggs.  I agree he's become more valuable - Diggs made him more valuable.  

I really want Brown to get back, because I think Diggs will make him better, too.   

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I think part of Beasley's success is what we all expect when the Bills got Diggs.   Beasley isn't a better player this year than he was last year.   But he's more productive.  Why?  Because he gets lots of man coverage out of the slot with Diggs outside, and because the zones over play to keep track of Diggs.  I agree he's become more valuable - Diggs made him more valuable.  

I really want Brown to get back, because I think Diggs will make him better, too.   

It's possible Shaw. But not totally for sure. Teams playing 8 like cover 2. Witch makes Cole really important in this offense.

1 hour ago, Figster said:

Cole Beasley doesn’t beat the Chiefs or the Ravens or the Steelers.

That’s what I’m saying. 

The bar now is win a Playoff game.

I like Beasley, but unless Allen can get this offense cranked back up this looks

like a Wild Card and out team.

The rotating cast is not enough to tilt this thing much better or much worse than 2019 in terms of ceiling. 

54 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

Really?  Nothing about the addition of Diggs?  Allen’s improved play? 

This is the key question - can Allen get the offense back in gear (and keep it there) against the good teams.

If yes, the Bills can win a Playoff game and take the next step.

If not, the 2020 Bills are the 2019

Bills with a limited ceiling. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

It's possible Shaw. But not totally for sure. Teams playing 8 like cover 2. Witch makes Cole really important in this offense.

Well, I don't know.  It's a complicated question, but KC is facing the same defenses, and it's having more success passing.  In part it's that they're running well, in part it's Kelce, but it's also their ability to take the top of the defense.  They force defenses to play deeper, I think, because they have the deep threats.  That, in turn, allows them to complete those little chunk plays - 20-25 yards.   

I think Brown healthy on the field, with the threat that Diggs is, pressures defense sin a way that isn't happening now.  

• Like (+1) 2

16 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I think everyones success on O, first and foremost Josh Allen can be attributed all in big part to the addition of Diggs.

On a side note: Myself personally,  someone I would like to see get some play time.  We finished the post season in Texas with a player starting to emerge that has been shuffled to the back of the pack with the addition of Diggs and Gabriel Davis in the draft.  It had appeared Allen started building a little chemstry with Duke Williams. It would be intersting to see him on the field with Diggs and Beasley IMO. I think he brings the feel of a pass catching TE security blanket when he plays that creates matchup problems for the opposition IMO.  

Edited by Figster
  • Haha (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Figster said:

I think everyones success on O, first and foremost Josh Allen can be attributed all in big part to the addition of Diggs.

On a side note: Myself personally,  someone I would like to see get some play time.  We finished the post season in Texas with a player starting to emerge that has been shuffled to the back of the pack with the addition of Diggs and Gabriel Davis in the draft.  It had appeared Allen started building a little chemstry with Duke Williams. It would be intersting to see him on the field with Diggs and Beasley IMO. I think he brings the feel of a pass catching TE security blanket when he plays that creates matchup problems for the opposition IMO.  

I think Davis is a better version of Duke.  A little better speed, equally reliable hands, etc. 

I was really hopeful about Duke last year, but if he were a difference maker in some way, I think he would have found himself some playing time by now. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Cole Beasley doesn’t beat the Chiefs or the Ravens or the Steelers.

That’s what I’m saying. 

The bar now is win a Playoff game.

I like Beasley, but unless Allen can get this offense cranked back up this looks

like a Wild Card and out team.

The rotating cast is not enough to tilt this thing much better or much worse than 2019 in terms of ceiling. 

This is the key question - can Allen get the offense back in gear (and keep it there) against the good teams.

If yes, the Bills can win a Playoff game and take the next step.

If not, the 2020 Bills are the 2019

Bills with a limited ceiling. 

Allen has been fine.  Coaching & playcalling to me has been very suspect.

Shaw66 I really do like your reviews and you do have an innate understanding both sides of the ball.

Where we continue to disagree on is coaching.  I know you won't convince me as I am stubborn, but I just am not thrilled with McD's coaching and as I've stated everywhere.  As happy as I was with the coaching & Allen the first 4 weeks, the last 4, I've seen regression and a lot of old habits and playcalling from the coaching staff.

The defense is an issue, but I won't question that side now.

What has McD & Dabol done in your opinion that really gives you confidence in their scheming and playcalling going forward?

Do you not also not expect a huge offensive performance the next two weeks, based on how weak Seattle's & Arizona's defenses are and if not does that not concern you?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

The play calling on Sunday was nothing short of abysmal. No creativity whatsoever 

My personal opinion is that it's impossible for fans to make any meaningful judgment about the quality of the play calling, except for an occasional play here or there.

What was it that you thought was abysmal about the playcalling?   And if it was abysmal, how did the Bills score 24?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Great job as usual Shaw.  Winning games in the NFL is difficult anytime you step on the field.

That's so the Dick Jauron way of thinking. Great teams have no issues winning a lot. The Chiefs, Steelers and Ravens say hi. 

11 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

That's so the Dick Jauron way of thinking. Great teams have no issues winning a lot. The Chiefs, Steelers and Ravens say hi. 

The point was winning is difficult.  Most games are difficult to win.  It's not that it's impossible. 

Steelers are 7-0.   Ask them if it was easy.   Four of the seven wins were by a touchdown or less.  

Winning in the NFL is difficult. 

• Like (+1) 4

15 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

The point was winning is difficult.  Most games are difficult to win.  It's not that it's impossible. 

Steelers are 7-0.   Ask them if it was easy.   Four of the seven wins were by a touchdown or less.  

Winning in the NFL is difficult. 

How many times are you going to repeat Winning is difficult.....  We get it.  

Until this year (and we'll see how the season plays out), the Bills seldom blow out teams, are blown out a fair bit of times, struggle to beat teams they should & have in the three years with McD, beaten 5 teams with records over .500 (and I think 3 playoff teams).  

I don't expect blowout wins the next two weeks.  I'd like to see wins, entertaining games & the Offense be more like weeks 1-4 (not 5-8).

I have little expectations from the defense against these two teams.

If also you want me to pick specific playcalling vs. NE, I'd say deep in our zone third quarter, 1st down lined up to run & NE knew it & a conservative call & 2 yards.  Second down in according to most blustery conditions a long pass incomplete & then a throwawy on third.  Kick, short field & NE scored. 

To me that first down play set the tone.