Allen’s weapons relative to Tenn/KC

SCBills

2 minutes ago, TheProcess said:

Who said anything about hero? Is it too much to ask to expect a certain level of consistent play out of a guy surrounded with more talent than he’s ever had in his third year in the same offense? Dude didn’t crack 100 yards passing until late in the game yesterday in a game where offensive production was paramount. Make excuses for Allen all you want, but he’s not playing his best ball right now. And I’m an Allen fan. Of course it would be nice if someone else stepped up from time to time and the receivers would quit with the untimely dropsies, but you’ve got to look at this objectively. He’s not getting it done the last two games like he was the first 4, or even close to it. 

The premise of the thread was about offensive weapons. I intentionally left defensive criticism out of this (and noted so in my post) to focus on the intent of the thread - the offense. Of course the defense could play better. Who on this board would say differently? I’ve got news for you though - There are no saviors walking through that door to lift us back to a top 3 defense. It is what it is this year. Roll with what you’ve got. Offense will have to be our defense this year. And it’s ok to expect more out of Josh Allen in year 3. 

Allen was terrible last night, but where is all this talent you speak of?

I know Mahomes had Hill and Hardman scaring our DC to death, so much so that we focused on taking away the deep shots.  No worries, Mahomes still has Kelce.  Take away Kelce?.. No problem, just going to run down your throat with CEH for close to 200 yards.  

Allen has, currently, zero running game aside from he, himself.  

For all intents and purposes, John Brown did not play last night.   No Dawson Knox either. 

Diggs, Beasley and Davis is not enough talent to scare good teams. 

Again, Allen was terrible last night, but just because we all thought we were loaded on offense coming into the season doesn’t mean we still are when we haven’t gotten a running game going yet and are basically without Brown and Knox.  

6 hours ago, SCBills said:

Allen was terrible last night, but where is all this talent you speak of?

I know Mahomes had Hill and Hardman scaring our DC to death, so much so that we focused on taking away the deep shots.  No worries, Mahomes still has Kelce.  Take away Kelce?.. No problem, just going to run down your throat with CEH for close to 200 yards.  

Allen has, currently, zero running game aside from he, himself.  

For all intents and purposes, John Brown did not play last night.   No Dawson Knox either. 

Diggs, Beasley and Davis is not enough talent to scare good teams. 

Again, Allen was terrible last night, but just because we all thought we were loaded on offense coming into the season doesn’t mean we still are when we haven’t gotten a running game going yet and are basically without Brown and Knox.  

Diggs, Brown, Beasley, and Davis has got to be one of the top WR units in the league from a pure talent perspective. They certainly haven’t played like it the last two weeks. When you lose games, there’s plenty of blame to go around. And you’re right, the running game has been terrible. I just expect more from my franchise QB to steady the ship. He’s capable of covering for our weaknesses. He’s done it before, including weeks 1-4. I don’t need him to be a hero or throw for 500 yards per game. But I do need consistency. 

13 hours ago, whatdrought said:

I mean, they could try throwing to Beasely before the 4th Quarter.

This really has more importance then most realize. Why wasn't Beasley thrown to before the 2nd half in the Titans game? Why did they wait until the fourth quarter to utilize him in the Chiefs game.

Opposing teams realize what a threat Diggs is so they try and neutralize him as much as they can. I can tell you now its what the Patriots are going to do.  Cole Beasley is the underneath guy, the chain mover and should bee seeing a lot more passes his way.

On another note, it was a cold rainy day and the Chiefs came out and established the run to help their QB. The Bills just kept asking Josh Allen to carry the game and he probably would have if the sieve of a Buffalo defense could have made a stop with 6 min left in the game.

Time of possession Chiefs 37:45. Bills 22:15...WTF!

Aside from how poorly the Buffalo defense played. My biggest complaint is the offensive game plan. Where is the run game? When opposing teams blitz Josh why does the line have no answer? The guy moves around like a greased hog but he is still under constant pressure and especially on 3rd down. 

KC Chris Jones and Frank Clark are both in the top 10 in QB pressures with 16, 15 respectively. Oh, and BTW, Bills fans bitching about Ed Oliver, he has 7 QB pressures so far this season, Hughes has 8, Addison has 6.   

Edited by Nihilarian

38 minutes ago, TheProcess said:

Diggs, Brown, Beasley, and Davis has got to be one of the top WR units in the league from a pure talent perspective. They certainly haven’t played like it the last two weeks. When you lose games, there’s plenty of blame to go around. And you’re right, the running game has been terrible. I just expect more from my franchise QB to steady the ship. He’s capable of covering for our weaknesses. He’s done it before, including weeks 1-4. I don’t need him to be a hero or throw for 500 yards per game. But I do need consistency. 

Oh, I agree with you that our WR room is elite, but it’s not elite when you take Brown out of the equation.   He technically played against the Chiefs, but not really.... One of the reporters said he was only targeted 4x and was clearly hobbled when he was out there, getting no separation and limping to the sideline.  

I don’t think we have enough to beat elite teams, currently, if one of our top 2 WR’s goes down.  The Chiefs had zero respect for our running game, Knox was out and we had 3 healthy WR’s - Diggs, Beasley and Davis. 

It is absolutely essential to develop a running game, because Knox hasn’t made the jump yet and we are solely dependent upon our top 3 WRs staying healthy. 

Other AFC playoff teams, for the most part, have WR’s, TE’s and a running game. 

I know some people don’t want to hear that we are lacking weapons, but Brown getting injured sure as heck makes it seem that way.  Knox, Moss and Singletary can certainly turn into ones if we get the running game going and Knox gets more consistent.  Davis is very promising but I can’t declare him a “weapon” just yet.  

Tannehill loses his #2 WR and still has AJ Brown, Jonnu Smith and Derrick Henry.   

Mahomes loses his #2 WR and still has Tyreek Hill, Travis Kelce and CEH.  

Allen loses his #2 WR and has Diggs, Beasley and....?

Edited by SCBills

53 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Oh, I agree with you that our WR room is elite, but it’s not elite when you take Brown out of the equation.   He technically played against the Chiefs, but not really.... One of the reporters said he was only targeted 4x and was clearly hobbled when he was out there, getting no separation and limping to the sideline.  

I don’t think we have enough to beat elite teams, currently, if one of our top 2 WR’s goes down.  The Chiefs had zero respect for our running game, Knox was out and we had 3 healthy WR’s - Diggs, Beasley and Davis. 

It is absolutely essential to develop a running game, because Knox hasn’t made the jump yet and we are solely dependent upon our top 3 WRs staying healthy. 

Other AFC playoff teams, for the most part, have WR’s, TE’s and a running game. 

I know some people don’t want to hear that we are lacking weapons, but Brown getting injured sure as heck makes it seem that way.  Knox, Moss and Singletary can certainly turn into ones if we get the running game going and Knox gets more consistent.  Davis is very promising but I can’t declare him a “weapon” just yet.  

Tannehill loses his #2 WR and still has AJ Brown, Jonnu Smith and Derrick Henry.   

Mahomes loses his #2 WR and still has Tyreek Hill, Travis Kelce and CEH.  

Allen loses his #2 WR and has Diggs, Beasley and....?

Smith went lower in the draft than Knox. The Bills invested 3rd round picks In back to back years on rbs. They signed one of the highest paid Cs in the nfl. They just signed their LT to a nice payday. 

Who has better weapons? Allen or Darnold? Allen or Newton? Allen or Miami? Allen or Rodgers? Allen or SF? Allen or the Rams? Allen or Washington? Allen or the current Eagles? Allen or the Bears? Allen or the Ravens (look at their receivers)?

i don’t why it’s so hard to say Allen just wasn’t good enough on Monday.  Dude has been our MVP to start the year but in prime time, he and the offense crapped the bed.  But it’s a super talented group and I’m just so sick of the excuses.  Just be better.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Smith went lower in the draft than Knox. The Bills invested 3rd round picks In back to back years on rbs. They signed one of the highest paid Cs in the nfl. They just signed their LT to a nice payday. 

Who has better weapons? Allen or Darnold? Allen or Newton? Allen or Miami? Allen or Rodgers? Allen or SF? Allen or the Rams? Allen or Washington? Allen or the current Eagles? Allen or the Bears? Allen or the Ravens (look at their receivers)?

i don’t why it’s so hard to say Allen just wasn’t good enough on Monday.  Dude has been our MVP to start the year but in prime time, he and the offense crapped the bed.  But it’s a super talented group and I’m just so sick of the excuses.  Just be better.

Ive stated, repeatedly, Allen wasn’t good enough.  He was absolutely awful Monday and that was shades of Pats/Raven ‘19.  

I don’t know why it’s so hard to say we desperately need a running game, because without it, we need Allen to be Rodgers....especially when John Brown is hurt. 

As for the comparisons... The Niners, Ravens and Rams all have a run game, so I’m not sure what you’re getting at.  Ravens are built differently than anyone, and even them, I’m not sure it’s working when Lamar fails on the big stage over and over.  The rest of those teams are terrible sans Bears who seem flukey at the moment.. so yea, we’re better than them with just our WR’s, no TE, no running game.  

We just need a running game.  That shouldn’t be controversial.  You’re saying Allen needs to be Russ or Rodgers... because if Brown goes down, and with our defense as that all currently stands... that’s who needs to be for us to have a good season. 

6 hours ago, Chuck Wagon said:

We need a RB and they know it.  They were after Fournette before Bell.  If Etienne or Najee Harris are there at our pick it'll be tough passing on them.

There have been a lot of options. Since last season ended, to the draft to now. They drafted Moss...