MNF: Chargers at Saints

YoloinOhio

Thoughts following MNF:

1. As arguably the biggest Drew Brees fan outside the state of Louisiana it is painful watching him play. People are very hung up on the arm and whether he goes deep enough any more but it is not even that to me. I honestly think his reflexes have slowed down and he just seems to be late on so many of his throws. He was the most beautiful seam thrower I have ever seen and even on those routes now the ball just never quite seems where it needs to be.

2. I have been critical in the past of the amount of Taysom Hill in the Saints offense. I am not just being wise after the event given his touchdown tied the game but at half time of that I was saying "they need a bit more Taysom Hill."

3. This was the classic Chargers loss. Blown lead? Check. Injury to star player? Check. Missed kick? Check. It has lasted through at least three Head Coaches now and two different cities for crying out loud.... but they need a Sean McDermott in there yesterday. That organisation has a real culture problem.

4. Strategically for the Chargers their team is a story of two lines.... an oline that can't protect and a dline that is downright nasty. The latter is keeping them in games but they have to find a way to solve the former.

5. And if they don't..... then they are really taking a big risk with the development of Justin Herbert. His footwork and mechanics in the pocket have got worse each start and it is because of pressure. Not ragging on the kid at all he was their best player on the night and out there competing his ass off every down. But there were plays - even completions last night - that are really ill advised throws and where he is not setting his feet and it is because he is just trying to make a play. They just need to be really careful with his fundamentals because we all know those can become bad learned habits. The responsibility is not on Herbert.... it is on Anthony Lynn, Shane Steichen and James Campen (who is one of the best oline coaches in the business by the way) to get this figured out.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1