Should the Bills play the Broncos?

Message added by Hapless Bills Fan

Please narrowly restrict discussion in this thread to the NFL and NFL policies about covid-19

Two Bills Drive no longer finds it appropriate to engage in COVID-19 discussion in our main discussion areas. We are a Buffalo Bills fan community and we exist to serve fans of the Buffalo Bills and the NFL. Please use other communities and venues to discuss heath-related topics including COVID-19. 

Information about COVID-19 is available from many globally respected sources including:

Uptodate     |  British Medical Journal Best Practice   |      COVIPENDIUM    |    Our world in Data

The pinned topic: COVID-19 - Facts and Information Only Topic, located on the Off the Wall subforum, is also a resource.   Should these not meet your needs, many other sources of information (of varied accuracy) exist.

Thank you!

5 minutes ago, Tenhigh said:

The tie for NE/Tenn is what people had in mind that had you so upset, lol.  A pretty simple schedule change could keep everything else moving forward on the NFL's existing timeline.  It's not a terrible option.  

Yes the tie has me flummoxed because NE/Tennessee do not play.  So you are creating a game on the schedule that does not exist and not just moving the Broncos game forward, but then having the Bills play them a second time totally outside of the schedule. 

So since both the Bills and Broncos were traveling- someone suggested a neutral site game and then keeping the later game on the road.  

Okay, but it becomes more difficult because Refs are not assigned based upon teams, but location - so we most likely have to find an open stadium around either NE or Tennessee as those Refs have been assigned.

I also did not understand why NE is being punished- they had positives, but appear to be following protocol.  They went so far as to split the team from close contacts on a separate plane and bus there and back.  If they are doing the right thing they should not be saddled if the issues created by the Titans.

5 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Why?  

There has not been once known case transmitted on the field.  

The individual positive tests in NE, KC, and Atl - the players were isolated and they identified close contacts and in NE - Gilmore became positive - now he is isolated and they will trace him.

The Raiders did not follow protocol and were lucky to have no positives from their gaffe.  The one positive has been identified and tracing is working that.

The Titans had multiple breaches of protocol and they have the monster cases.  

What I see is that following the protocol is of utmost importance.  Just like in MLB where it was identified that the Cardinals and Marlins broke protocol and cause all of the issues.

I have seen nothing that suggests at this point the NFL is in trouble.  The protocol was created to identify and trace and play on.  The teams that do not follow protocol should be punished and the teams that are should be able to move forward.

A positive test does not mean anyone broke protocol - the NFL was adamant that then knew there would be positives.  This was bound to happen when the NFLPA did not want to bubble, but if the teams are doing it right - you can contain and isolate and keep games moving forward.

There's a few reasons I can envision it going downhill fast. That doesn't mean I'm predicting it will happen.  

The number of players/coaches on each team make it more difficult to control in a few ways, particularly without a bubble. The more people you have the more likely someone will break from the protocols. The players/coaches interact with families and friends outside of the facility.. Throw in the close contact of a football game for three hours and the risk seems higher to me. You mentioned there hasn't been a known case of transmission on the field. Does that mean that we haven't had a player with Covid play on Sunday yet or that we have had a player with Covid play on Sunday but nobody caught it. The latter would be more predictive than the former for me.

One positive is that MLB had some cases early on and got it under control. Maybe that will happen with the NFL season as well. 

Schopp actually came up with a somewhat decent proposal:

Assuming no positive tests for the Titans, move Titans/Bills to Monday night.

Next week move Bucs/Packers to Thursday night. Packers are on a bye this week and the Bucs are already playing Thursday night this week so it isn't much of a disadvantage.

Move Bills/Chiefs to either Saturday night or the main 4:25 slot on Sunday on FOX. FOX doesn't lose out on the ratings of that game, and Bucs/Packers is a pretty decent replacement on Thursday. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

Does anyone know what the NFL's contingency plan was for postponed games?

Having the Bills play the Broncos this week just ensures that one more game gets played. The opening a slot in the schedule on December 20 doesn't necessarily help the rescheduling issues.

Spin in the bottle and blow the Patricheats and Brady.

they could say no football the next 2 weeks and games moved to January.