Titans-Steelers game postponed til later in the season...Titans now effectively have a bye week to prepare for Bills

Big Turk
Message added by Hapless Bills Fan

Please tightly restrict conversation in this thread to football and football-relevant matters.

Two Bills Drive no longer finds it appropriate to engage in COVID-19 discussion in our main discussion areas. (This includes your opinion about the incubation/infectious period, interval before a positive test, and infection control measures the NFL should employ, and this means YOU.) We are a Buffalo Bills fan community and we exist to serve fans of the Buffalo Bills and the NFL. Please use other communities and venues to discuss heath-related topics including COVID-19. 

Information about COVID-19 is available from many globally respected sources including:

Uptodate     |  British Medical Journal Best Practice   |      COVIPENDIUM    |    Our world in Data

The pinned topic: COVID-19 - Facts and Information Only Topic, located on the Off the Wall subforum, is also a resource.   Should these not meet your needs, many other sources of information (of varied accuracy) exist.

Thank you!

Whatever benefit the titans get from extra rest for players with minor or lingering injuries is massively outweighed by not even being able to use their facilities, to say nothing of how most of the players who tested positive likely won't be cleared to play against the Bills.  The actual concern with this game is the bills catching corona from the titans.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Gambit said:

So the Titans would have 2 byes?

Unless the league make other adjustments (shortens the season or adds weeks at the end, before the playoffs) the Titans would essentially forfeit.

1 minute ago, TigerJ said:

Unless the league make other adjustments (shortens the season or adds weeks at the end, before the playoffs) the Titans would essentially forfeit.

I doubt it. 

They're more likely to cancel the game outright than force a team to forfeit.

First they'll try to delay it by a few days. Then they'll try to reschedule it. If neither of those efforts succeed for whatever reason, I believe game cancellations to be far more likely than forced forfeitures. 

If they prove that the titans are in this mess due to their own causes, I don't see why them forfeiting isn't the natural conclusion.. Hardly seems fair to opponents who are working hard to get the job done. 

1 minute ago, Logic said:

I doubt it. 

They're more likely to cancel the game outright than force a team to forfeit.

First they'll try to delay it by a few days. Then they'll try to reschedule it. If neither of those efforts succeed for whatever reason, I believe game cancellations to be far more likely than forced forfeitures. 

Man, I don't know.. Conference game, huge playoff implications (theoretically)... what do you do with that game? Where do you put it? If it just gets written off what does that do to the Bills standings?

2 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

If they prove that the titans are in this mess due to their own causes, I don't see why them forfeiting isn't the natural conclusion.. Hardly seems fair to opponents who are working hard to get the job done. 

Man, I don't know.. Conference game, huge playoff implications (theoretically)... what do you do with that game? Where do you put it? If it just gets written off what does that do to the Bills standings?

I don't know how to answer that. I think they'll make every effort to delay it or reschedule it.

If, for whatever reason, that can't happen, I stand by the notion that the NFL would sooner cancel the game outright than force a team to forfeit. I don't think the league forcing a team to forfeit due to an outbreak of a deadly virus would be a good look for them. 

Roger Goodell was asked right before the season started if it's possible we could see teams across the league playing different amounts of games due to COVID cancellations. He said that it was "a possibility". 

11 minutes ago, Logic said:

I don't know how to answer that. I think they'll make every effort to delay it or reschedule it.

If, for whatever reason, that can't happen, I stand by the notion that the NFL would sooner cancel the game outright than force a team to forfeit. I don't think the league forcing a team to forfeit due to an outbreak of a deadly virus would be a good look for them. 

Roger Goodell was asked right before the season started if it's possible we could see teams across the league playing different amounts of games due to COVID cancellations. He said that it was "a possibility". 

What if it's unquestionably their fault for failing to follow protocol? (which seems to be the way that it's going...) 

That's the difference maker for me. If the 10-5 Bills lose the division to the 11-5 Pats because the Titans didn't follow the protocols, doesn't that cause more issues with the sanctity of the game?

4 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

What if it's unquestionably their fault for failing to follow protocol? (which seems to be the way that it's going...) 

That's the difference maker for me. If the 10-5 Bills lose the division to the 11-5 Pats because the Titans didn't follow the protocols, doesn't that cause more issues with the sanctity of the game?

I'd tend to agree that if the Titans are found to have violated rules, then forfeiture should be on the table. Whether the NFL will agree, I cannot say.

As far as the tiebreaker scenario you laid out...all I know is that I'm fully preparing for this season to be messy and unfair, no matter what. More outbreaks are gonna happen, more games are gonna get postponed, and some may possibly be cancelled. Already, if nothing further changes on the schedule, the Chiefs are about to play three games in ten days. In this weird COVID affected NFL season, unfairness will abound.

Edited by Logic

1 minute ago, Logic said:

I'd tend to agree that if the Titans are found to have violated rules, then forfeiture should be on the table. Whether the NFL will agree, I cannot say.

As far as the tiebreaker scenario you laid out...all I know is that I'm fully preparing for this season to be messy and unfair, no matter what. More outbreaks are gonna happen, more games are gonna get postponed, and some may possibly be cancelled. Already, if nothing further changes on the schedule, the Chiefs are about to play three games in ten days. In this weird COVID affected NFL season, unfairness will abound.

I get that, and if it was an honest to goodness unavoidable thing that caused it my tune is different... 

My feeling is the titans were playing hard and loose with the rules (shocking that a Vrabel led team would) and that makes me angry. If they lose a couple games cause of it, the unfairness won't abound as much. 

• Like (+1) 1