Titans-Steelers game postponed til later in the season...Titans now effectively have a bye week to prepare for Bills

Big Turk
Message added by Hapless Bills Fan

Please tightly restrict conversation in this thread to football and football-relevant matters.

Two Bills Drive no longer finds it appropriate to engage in COVID-19 discussion in our main discussion areas. (This includes your opinion about the incubation/infectious period, interval before a positive test, and infection control measures the NFL should employ, and this means YOU.) We are a Buffalo Bills fan community and we exist to serve fans of the Buffalo Bills and the NFL. Please use other communities and venues to discuss heath-related topics including COVID-19. 

Information about COVID-19 is available from many globally respected sources including:

Uptodate     |  British Medical Journal Best Practice   |      COVIPENDIUM    |    Our world in Data

The pinned topic: COVID-19 - Facts and Information Only Topic, located on the Off the Wall subforum, is also a resource.   Should these not meet your needs, many other sources of information (of varied accuracy) exist.

Thank you!

40 minutes ago, CIrvine said:

And I don’t want their guys in our facility.

That’s kind of silly. Not sure you are being serious or not but I think it would be a lot easier to control what happens in your facility than traveling to one. It would also be easier to monitor cleaning after as well. 

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Vikes opened their facility today 

Interesting - I don’t think that was a the coach who was in the meeting. That coach didn’t test positive until Monday 

Another article I read said that the Titans didn’t even bother to mention those little details prior to the game. I guess Vrabel learned something in NE.

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Johnnycage46 said:

If this ends up being the Steelers and Titans bye week, I guess they can be thankful its week 4 and not week 1 like a few years ago when Tampa's game was moved to their original bye week due to a hurricane.  They basically got their bye, week 1 lol.

There was also the time when the NFL had 31 teams between the Texans expansion so there was 1 team that had to have a bye each week. So a team had a bye each week so a team had a bye week week 1 and week 17. I think that the NFL should have baked in 2 league wide bye weeks (push the start of the playoffs back 2 weeks) and any of these games that had to be rescheduled due to Covid could have been played during a league wide bye.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

There was also the time when the NFL had 31 teams between the Texans expansion so there was 1 team that had to have a bye each week. So a team had a bye each week so a team had a bye week week 1 and week 17. I think that the NFL should have baked in 2 league wide bye weeks (push the start of the playoffs back 2 weeks) and any of these games that had to be rescheduled due to Covid could have been played during a league wide bye.

That may still happen. 

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/sports/nfl-says-steelers-titans-game-delayed-until-later-in-season/2432543/?amp

The Titans are scheduled to host Buffalo (3-0) on Oct. 11 depending on the results of daily testing.

With the two new cases, the Titans’ total is now 12: five players and seven other organization members since last Saturday. Vrabel said he's very confident the Titans have followed the contact tracing protocol to identify anyone at risk from being close together.

18 minutes ago, iinii said:

That may still happen. 

It should already be in place. At least two league wide byes for rescheduled games would have given a lot of buffer for these types of outbreaks. Now the league and these teams have to scramble. It's a bad look on the NFL's part.

• Like (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/sports/nfl-says-steelers-titans-game-delayed-until-later-in-season/2432543/?amp

The Titans are scheduled to host Buffalo (3-0) on Oct. 11 depending on the results of daily testing.

With the two new cases, the Titans’ total is now 12: five players and seven other organization members since last Saturday. Vrabel said he's very confident the Titans have followed the contact tracing protocol to identify anyone at risk from being close together.

Number keeps creeping up.  

• Like (+1) 1

Doc, I don’t think there is enough free weeks to postpone unless an absolute necessity and then they have to forfeit the game.  I wouldn’t be surprised at the 11th hour a forfeit.  I expected it, as the NFL has done a ton to manage this positive testing issues, but there are only so many variables you can account, and manage.

1 minute ago, machine gun kelly said:

Doc, I don’t think there is enough free weeks to postpone unless an absolute necessity and then they have to forfeit the game.  I wouldn’t be surprised at the 11th hour a forfeit.  I expected it, as the NFL has done a ton to manage this positive testing issues, but there are only so many variables you can account, and manage.

Nah, they’ll extend out the season if necessary 

• Like (+1) 2

45 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

It should already be in place. At least two league wide byes for rescheduled games would have given a lot of buffer for these types of outbreaks. Now the league and these teams have to scramble. It's a bad look on the NFL's part.

Agreed. I was just trying to suggest they may have to “adopt” some sort of strategy akin to what you have suggested.

7 hours ago, nucci said:

a major advantage? Players are sick and the facility is closed? Where's the advantage?

😳

7 hours ago, nucci said:

it's possible more players are sick, they can't practice and just had a game postponed.....how is this a big plus?

6 hours ago, Your Brown Eye said:

Does it really though?

The Titans coaches spent all week gaming planning and watching film for the Steelers, now they have to scrap all that an do it all over again for the Bills. Not to mention the whole team is not allowed at the facility, so they cannot even practice what the coaches implement until they are cleared to go back and that might not even be till mid-week next week. Sounds more to me like a cluster-you know what than a strategic advantage. If it's an advantage, it's minimal in my opinion. 

😲

i think it’s clearly obvious. If I’m coaching, I immediately accept the decision and completely change gameplan to focus on Buffalo. Zoom each position group and send all video on the Bills including their intended scheme. As a player, I’d expect this, frankly. There’s nothing anyone can do to Change a League rule, but you can jump immediately into ‘what’s next?’

I’d be surprised if the Titans players aren’t force fed Buffalo data by tomorrow.

• Like (+1) 1

I. Just. Don’t. Care.

This is the best Bills team in 20 years and I don’t care if every opponent has a bye week.  Worrying about this crap is about the least productive thing a person can do.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

13 minutes ago, eball said:

I. Just. Don’t. Care.

This is the best Bills team in 20 years and I don’t care if every opponent has a bye week.  Worrying about this crap is about the least productive thing a person can do.

yeah, this is kind of how I feel.  It's hardcore BBFS otherwise.  Do you think the Chiefs give two ***** about things like this?  I doubt it.  If we're as good as I think we are, I doubt our team does either.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

😳

😲

i think it’s clearly obvious. If I’m coaching, I immediately accept the decision and completely change gameplan to focus on Buffalo. Zoom each position group and send all video on the Bills including their intended scheme. As a player, I’d expect this, frankly. There’s nothing anyone can do to Change a League rule, but you can jump immediately into ‘what’s next?’

I’d be surprised if the Titans players aren’t force fed Buffalo data by tomorrow.

Assuming the plan is to juggle teams bye weeks to get Tenn and Pitt to line up, both will now be playing 13 straight weeks assuming no other interruptions.  How's that different than every other team when they have a bye week?  The Bills will have 14 days to prepare for the Chargers game.  Tenn has already lost days this week, plus no players in the facility to believe I read Saturday.  Yes it sucks for the Bills themselves to be the team Tenn gets extra time to prepare for, but in no way do I see this giving Tenn and advantage season wise. 

Every week there are teams that get an extra week of prep  time coming of their bye, this is one of the few years up until now the Bills didn't have to face one of those teams.  Bills are just unlucky in this case.

The other option (and if this happens once a team already had their bye) would be to play the game at the end of the season.  Both Tenn and Pitt have a good chance of making the playoffs.  That would really suck for them if basically they move the start of the playoffs back one week so now week 18 Tenn is playing Pitt while all the remaining playoff teams get a week rest.  Not everyone gains something but would be a huge advantage for whomever plays those two in the playoffs.  So do think the idea of moving makeup games to the end of the season would be very unfair.  Maybe they play make ups week 15 and 16 as needed so all teams still play the last two weeks.

At the beginning of every season I enjoy looking for how many teams we get right after a bye week. It seemed we always led the league in getting screwed there.  At least this is novel.  🤷‍♂️

I still wish we could all meet up in Nashville again. 

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Augie said:

At the beginning of every season I enjoy looking for how many teams we get right after a bye week. It seemed we always led the league in getting screwed there.  At least this is novel.  🤷‍♂️

I still wish we could all meet up in Nashville again. 

2020, man...

NFL should have done two bye weeks for every team. Half the teams should have had a bye the 7th week and the other half the 8th week. They should have done the same for week 14 and 15. That would have put the Superbowl the day before President's Day. Also would have made changes quicker