Titans-Steelers game postponed til later in the season...Titans now effectively have a bye week to prepare for Bills

Big Turk
Message added by Hapless Bills Fan

Please tightly restrict conversation in this thread to football and football-relevant matters.

Two Bills Drive no longer finds it appropriate to engage in COVID-19 discussion in our main discussion areas. (This includes your opinion about the incubation/infectious period, interval before a positive test, and infection control measures the NFL should employ, and this means YOU.) We are a Buffalo Bills fan community and we exist to serve fans of the Buffalo Bills and the NFL. Please use other communities and venues to discuss heath-related topics including COVID-19. 

Information about COVID-19 is available from many globally respected sources including:

Uptodate     |  British Medical Journal Best Practice   |      COVIPENDIUM    |    Our world in Data

The pinned topic: COVID-19 - Facts and Information Only Topic, located on the Off the Wall subforum, is also a resource.   Should these not meet your needs, many other sources of information (of varied accuracy) exist.

Thank you!

8 hours ago, dma0034 said:

NFL should have done two bye weeks for every team. Half the teams should have had a bye the 7th week and the other half the 8th week. They should have done the same for week 14 and 15. That would have put the Superbowl the day before President's Day. Also would have made changes quicker

I heard somewhere that there are contingency plans for a “Week 18” if games need to be postponed after the bye weeks. 

No way our game stands

this is a health risk now. Postpone our game also and suspend the league for 2 full weeks 

NFL knew what they were getting into. No control over players. 

in England football clubs wouldn’t even let players eat food outside their team picked meal plan 

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, CapeBreton said:

There's no way they could allow the Titans to miss two straight weeks right? They really should either have to field a team or forfeit.

Agreed.  

Postponed Steelers game is their mulligan.   If they have a full blown outbreak, they need to deal with it.  Can’t destroy the whole season because of one team.  

....and maybe this was all out of their control and the Titans did nothing wrong, but all I know is (so far) two teams have had COVID exposure.   One team (Falcons) followed the protocols and it was a non-issue.   The other team (Titans) are now a dumpster fire.  

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Penfield45 said:

No way our game stands

this is a health risk now. Postpone our game also and suspend the league for 2 full weeks 

NFL knew what they were getting into. No control over players. 

in England football clubs wouldn’t even let players eat food outside their team picked meal plan 

Very respectfully, I don’t think you shut down the league for two weeks based upon the outbreak with one single team. If they get it under control and exclude those people it’s not really a risk factor. However, I do agree with analyzing the remaining schedule and based upon what could happen possibly putting in a spare open week or two for everybody somewhere over the course of the season. I suggested it in one of the threads earlier, pick a random middle week and then a random later week to just leave things open for teams. Also, obviously just adjust the games accordingly.

Instead of moving teams/games around to accomodate the Titans the NFL needed to take a stance. Somehow the other teams in the league have managed to stay "clean" or close to it. With 15 people testing positive it's not as simple as someone contracting it by going home to child/spouse. They had to have either violated protocols of been cavalier somehow. Take a stance, set a precedent, and make teams/players realize that there are consequences. Instead they do the usual and treat them as victims and accomodate them. This isn't draconian, its simple common sense. How did the other teams manage it so far without problem?

7 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

Instead of moving teams/games around to accomodate the Titans the NFL needed to take a stance. Somehow the other teams in the league have managed to stay "clean" or close to it. With 15 people testing positive it's not as simple as someone contracting it by going home to child/spouse. They had to have either violated protocols of been cavalier somehow. Take a stance, set a precedent, and make teams/players realize that there are consequences. Instead they do the usual and treat them as victims and accomodate them. This isn't draconian, its simple common sense. How did the other teams manage it so far without problem?

what do you suggest?

2 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

How about forfeiture of the Steelers game? you?

If the Bills get hit, I'd much rather them reschedule the game. It doesn't seem to be that big of a deal.

3 hours ago, CapeBreton said:

There's no way they could allow the Titans to miss two straight weeks right? They really should either have to field a team or forfeit.

Rescheduling a couple games seems doable. One bye week and an extra week or two at the end of the season. 

If you need more than that, then yeah, just field your best team. Sorry.

One other salient point about the Steelers and Titans was they have been effectively robbed of their bye weeks.  In a bye week, you get the week off.  Since they went most of the week not knowing, they have been in team activities preparing to play Sunday.  Let's hope this doesn't happen to other teams.

I'm also curious how players are supposed to get treatment.  If you're rehabbing, or icing or doing whatever treatments you get throughout the week to feel better, heal or play, what happens now to the Titans?  Are players on their own for getting treatments for what ails them?

Edited by wjag
adding more

4 hours ago, SCBills said:

I heard somewhere that there are contingency plans for a “Week 18” if games need to be postponed after the bye weeks. 

How do you handle a week 18?  Lets assume the Bills Tenn game gets canceled next.  Both those teams likely could be int he playoffs or at a minimum in the mix for a spot at the end of the season.  So do the Bills and Tenn play week 18 while the remaining playoff teams basically get a weeks rest.  If that happened to me and I was the GM/owner of the team,  and I was already in the playoff, this game would just affect seeding I'd just announce OK, we're forfeiting the game.  I prefer a lower seed than playing against a team that just got a weeks rest when I had to play a game.

The only somewhat fair way to do it would have makeups maybe between weeks 15 and 16. So in my example above Tenn would play the Bills that week while everyone else is off.  But then everyone plays the next two weeks.  If any games need to be canceled the last two weeks, sorry but then it is a forfeit.  If it's involving non playoff teams, they could still play week 18 just for revenue purposes.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, RiotAct said:

The Steelers at Baltimore Ravens game will move from Oct. 25 to Nov. 1 at 1 p.m. ET.”

Did they both have a bye that week originally?

yea Baltimore had a bye that week [edit]

Hold on. 
Sunday, October 25. 
Baltimore Bye 

The schedule has been updated so unless we can see the original one it’s a ?

Edited by SlimShady'sSpaceForce

Not surprising that with more positive tests out of Nashville, the Bills game next weekend is in trouble.  I thought that on Monday when the news broke.  Bottom line- the NFL had 6 months to map out every possible scenario and I'm sure they did.  There are no hard and fast rules in the Covid era of sports. They can move games around, add games on at the end of the season.  What if instead of having the Super Bowl on Feb. 7th they just move it to Feb. 28th or mid-March?  What's stopping them?  There's no real rush. The NFL could tell the players that OTA's and preseason games in spring/summer 2021 would be curtailed as a concession.  Make it right and fair for everyone and all teams.