THE ROCKPILE REVIEW - Off and Passing

Shaw66

Nice post Shaw and you really nail it at the end there.

This felt like starters vs backups.

It felt like a preseason game in that respect.

When I saw a recent post identifying every Jets starter, I said something to the effect of "we better cream them!"

For all intents and purposes, we did. Next week will be a little tougher, though.

I'd actually say Buffalo was very fortunate with a pretty easy--relatively speaking--opening 6 games.

Shake off the rust and resolve the fumbling issues!

3 hours ago, Crayola64 said:

It is funny that when the team moves the ball, or scores, it is the "bills"

When they do poor, it is "allen"

At what point does "Allen" take credit for moving the ball without a run game?  he accounted for over 90% of the team's yards which is absurd.  Just an observation.

Yes, he can’t seem to resist throwing shade on Allen even though he claims to have seen Kemp & Ferguson play. 

🤦‍♂️

13 hours ago, y2zipper said:

I think we saw pocket awareness, quick decision-making and touch from Allen that we haven't seen in his first 2 years. Allen wasn't forcing the pass game, threw away once or twice, and his only misses were to receivers that were very wide open because most QB's can't roll to the opposite side then throw across their body. Nobody was covering Brown there because it's so uncommon to see a throw even go that way. As a passer, Allen was outstanding in a way we haven't seen before.

I'll start my rewatch soon but that was my major impression watching yesterday. I might remember it wrong but all I remember is Josh standing in the pocket and moving slightly whenever it was necessary, making Jets defenders miss him.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

I'll start my rewatch soon but that was my major impression watching yesterday. I might remember it wrong but all I remember is Josh standing in the pocket and moving slightly whenever it was necessary, making Jets defenders miss him.

There are many reasons I've been high on Josh since his rookie year, and this ability to move in the pocket is one of them.   He showed it as a rookie.  He's always had it.  What he hasn't had was enough experience to see and understand what's going on around him.  As he's learned more of the nuances of quarterbacking, this ability to move in the pocket, and his timing in getting out of the pocket, have been enhanced.  Yesterday he was superb at it.  

I've always compared him to Big Ben in that regard.  Ben slides in the pocket very well.   Both Ben and Josh are big enough that when a guy gets a hand on him, it isn't enough to bring him down, and both Ben and Josh move instinctively when they feel that hand.   

• Like (+1) 1

Great point Shaw - Josh is very slippery in the pocket, all while keeping his eyes downfield.

There was some sloppiness, but directionally, I love what this team showed. We saw the top notch defensive play we'd expect, but the offense clearly has taken a step forward, thanks to some creative play design, JAs improvement and adding a new playmaker in Diggs.

We let the Jets hang around too long, and "Bad Josh" did show up on a few plays, but I chalk some of this up to Week 1 jitters. We have the tools to win our division.

17 hours ago, Crayola64 said:

It is funny that when the team moves the ball, or scores, it is the "bills"

When they do poor, it is "allen"

Everyone has a job to do.  The nature of the beast is that if you do your job, that's what you're supposed to do.  If you don't do it, it's worth talking about.  

I just so happens that in yesterday's game, the obvious mistakes that hurt the Bills were made by Allen and Edmunds, so I commented on those.   In case you missed it, I also had praise for Allen.  

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

Everyone has a job to do.  The nature of the beast is that if you do your job, that's what you're supposed to do.  If you don't do it, it's worth talking about.  

I just so happens that in yesterday's game, the obvious mistakes that hurt the Bills were made by Allen and Edmunds, so I commented on those.   In case you missed it, I also had praise for Allen.  

Fair, but i think the person responsible for over 90 percent of the team’s yards “did their job.” 

your issue is the standard you hold Allen to is: did he do his job on every single play?  Rather than the standard you hold every other player to: did they do their job overall.  

23 hours ago, TonyBeets said:

Thanks for the write up.  The bills didn't get the run game going because Greg Williams basically said "Let Josh Allen beat us" and Josh Allen beat them. 

I think Gase had something to do with it.

Gase told Gregg Williams: "You think we can fool them into thinking they have already made playoffs?"

Gregg: "No"

Gase: "Well do your best to beat up the offense and I will tell them to beat up defense.  Maybe it will give us advantage at rematch."

--- After game ---

Gase: "My guys did a good job but yours didn't.  What are you waiting for?
Gregg: "Waiting for you to get letter to get suspended and I can take over team." 

On 9/13/2020 at 7:15 PM, Mickey said:

I am not sure I agree with the notion that those fumbles were "unforced". The first was a solid swat right on the ball from behind and on the second one, he got clocked, hard. It is not like he was waiving the ball around McCoy style and just lost his grip. 

The fumbles were forced, but Allen does wave the ball around McCoy style all too often when he’s on the move.  He makes me nervous.

2 hours ago, Crayola64 said:

Fair, but i think the person responsible for over 90 percent of the team’s yards “did their job.” 

your issue is the standard you hold Allen to is: did he do his job on every single play?  Rather than the standard you hold every other player to: did they do their job overall.  

No.  I hold them to the same standard they hold themselves.  Allen will tell you the same thing I said.  Two bad fumbles and two missed touchdowns. 

22 hours ago, Rk_Bills86 said:

J

6) I mentioned it in another post - but if Allen throws for even 62% completion I think we win most games. 70% completion imo is basically always a win except for maybe against KC/NO/SEA

I believe Allen is yet to lose a game where his completion % was 60 and above.