Are we better off now than we were four years ago?

Notice the word “we.”  I say no.  Obviously no.  Too many unnecessary, avoidable deaths.  Too much insecurity.  Too much economic malaise in the middle and lower classes.  Not enough federal leadership.  What say you?

*And I acknowledge that if the word “you” was used instead of “we,” the answer might be different for some.  If you have the money to be in the market and you know what you’re doing, you very well may be better off now.  But that’s only a fraction of Americans, and we are all in this together. So, the question remains, are “we” better off now than we were four years ago?

• Haha (+1) 1

Record unemployment , deficit , many small businesses going under , individuals and businesses not paying rent , cost to the healthcare system.   I hate to think of the long term effects covid is still doing to the economy.

The state and local deficits are unreal and they have to balance a budget . 

Edited by ALF
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, ALF said:

Record unemployment , deficit , many small businesses going under , individuals and businesses not paying rent , cost to the healthcare system.   I hate to think of the long term effects covid is still doing to the economy.

The state and local deficits are unreal and they have to balance a budget . 

Don't you think that you are not fully addressing why those indicators are where they are at presently?  Governors (mostly Democrats) imposed their own Draconian measures to deal with COVID 19 with little regard to common sense.  Did NY's Southern Tier need the same protocol as NYC?

• Like (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Don't you think that you are not fully addressing why those indicators are where they are at presently?  Governors (mostly Democrats) imposed their own Draconian measures to deal with COVID 19 with little regard to common sense.  Did NY's Southern Tier need the same protocol as NYC?

Do you think the Republican Governors of Texas , Florida , Georgia , Arizona ... over reacted to dealing with covid ?

Lets not forget how the rest of the world reacted to covid

Edited by ALF
  • Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, ALF said:

Do you think the Republican Governors of Texas , Florida , Georgia , Arizona ... over reacted to dealing with covid ?

The Governors of those states are not going to drive my state income taxes up by a healthy fraction because sales tax collection needlessly flatlined in NYS.  Thank you Governor Andy!

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ALF said:

It will be almost impossible to MAGA like it was when Obama left office.

A stronger military then under Obama, better border security, better trade deals, NATO countries finally paying their fair share, getting out of the horrible Paris Accord and Iran deals

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, bilzfancy said:

A stronger military then under Obama, better border security, better trade deals, NATO countries finally paying their fair share, getting out of the horrible Paris Accord and Iran deals

Never has there been a better example of how to use then/than.

As DC Tom would say, you are an idiot.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Notice the word “we.”  I say no.  Obviously no.  Too many unnecessary, avoidable deaths.  Too much insecurity.  Too much economic malaise in the middle and lower classes.  Not enough federal leadership.  What say you?

*And I acknowledge that if the word “you” was used instead of “we,” the answer might be different for some.  If you have the money to be in the market and you know what you’re doing, you very well may be better off now.  But that’s only a fraction of Americans, and we are all in this together. So, the question remains, are “we” better off now than we were four years ago?

In liberal areas I am quite sure life is worse now than it was 4 years ago. Right now my life is better and so is my entire extended family not still in NY. NY probably it is worse.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, ALF said:

It will be almost impossible to MAGA like it was when Obama left office.

It's stupidass statements like this that makes me believe you're phoney. Obama couldn't get out of his own way. He was clueless when it came to the economy, among other things.

22 minutes ago, bilzfancy said:

I agree with the first three and probably the first four.  Disagree strongly with respect to Paris, and am sort of neutral on Iran (I didn’t like it to begin with, but it probably was the best of the bad basket of options.  Time will tell).  

But the question remains, as Americans, are our lives better than they were four years ago?  I don’t know about you, but the fact that my kid can’t go to school this year isn’t outweighed by the fact that Greece (I’m assuming it’s a NATO slacker) upped its contributions to NATO.  

So the question remains, those accomplishments/improvements aside, are our lives better than they were four years ago?

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

I agree with the first three and probably the first four.  Disagree strongly with respect to Paris, and am sort of neutral on Iran (I didn’t like it to begin with, but it probably was the best of the bad basket of options.  Time will tell).  

But the question remains, as Americans, are our lives better than they were four years ago?  I don’t know about you, but the fact that my kid can’t go to school this year isn’t outweighed by the fact that Greece (I’m assuming it’s a NATO slacker) upped its contributions to NATO.  

So the question remains, those accomplishments/improvements aside, are our lives better than they were four years ago?

Read the Paris Accord, would have cost the US trillions, yet it let's China and India continue to pollute, it really was a bad deal

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, bilzfancy said:

Read the Paris Accord, would have cost the US trillions, yet it let's China and India continue to pollute, it really was a bad deal

Since covid has cost us $trillions the Paris Accord is way too expensive now.  The stronger military is funded by more borrowed money . The budget control act of 2011 (scrapped now) limited the amount Obama could borrow hence less money for the military.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budget_Control_Act_of_2011

I'm for border security and fair trade deals. My job with many others went to Mexico due to NAFTA

Edited by ALF
  • Like (+1) 2

My life is WAY better than it was four years ago because four years ago I lived in CA; my taxes were through the roof, the power kept going out, and the public education system was (and remains) a schittshow. 

More to the point, though, one thing I love about leftists -- and we're watching this play out on a large scale with people like Ted Wheeler -- is that leftists make the incorrect assumption that all Americans are as stupid as they are.

American's are simply not so stupid as to hear this question and ignore the role COVID plays in their answer.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, IDBillzFan said:

My life is WAY better than it was four years ago because four years ago I lived in CA; my taxes were through the roof, the power kept going out, and the public education system was (and remains) a schittshow. 

More to the point, though, one thing I love about leftists -- and we're watching this play out on a large scale with people like Ted Wheeler -- is that leftists make the incorrect assumption that all Americans are as stupid as they are.

American's are simply not so stupid as to hear this question and ignore the role COVID plays in their answer.

It’s pretty tough to take your view that “leftists” are “stupid” seriously when you pluralize Americans improperly.  FYI.  

In any event, lots of crickets here, but plenty of time to post conspiratorial trash in other places.  Looks like the verdict is in: the lives of everyday Americans are not better than they were four years ago.  

Edited by SectionC3
  • Like (+1) 1