Blue Jays "Buffalo2020" thread

10 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Image may contain: 2 people, people standing and outdoor

And the fans have already packed the stadium to watch the game with 2 staples at the Rogers Centre in there seats

OK, I'll bite. Who the hell are those two people?

The king and queen of Canada, Eh?

(In case you are being serious and really not sure, Geddy Lee of Rush who is seen many times a season, and 'Home Plate Lady's who is seen at every game in Toronto sitting behind home plate. Geddy Lee is there once in a while with his score card watching them play)

48 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

The king and queen of Canada, Eh?

(In case you are being serious and really not sure, Geddy Lee of Rush who is seen many times a season, and 'Home Plate Lady's who is seen at every game in Toronto sitting behind home plate. Geddy Lee is there once in a while with his score card watching them play)

I was being serious. I know nothing of the Home Plate Lady and haven't seen a picture of Geddy since the 70's probably. Did he learn how to sing yet?

3 hours ago, The Dean said:

I was being serious. I know nothing of the Home Plate Lady and haven't seen a picture of Geddy since the 70's probably. Did he learn how to sing yet?

There were rumors that the 'Home Plate Lady' had won 2 tickets for life to the stadium when she was selected the winner of the 'Name the Stadium' Contest when the Skydome first opened. People have said she isn't that woman, she is just a wealthy woman who used to have seasons with her husband, when he died, she continued to get 2 seats and usually has a guest with her and she bought the seats directly behind home plate when they opened the premium seats down in that area. I think some local news have done stories on her in previous years, she also had some video make the rounds of her not even flinching as a foul ball came directly at her hitting the net, I believe you see others around her flinch/jump, but not her, she stayed cool and just continued what she was doing.

Getty Lee is usually there for the opener and the occasional games during the year, he is a few seats over towards first, I don't think hes usually there with someone, you see him sitting there and he sometimes has a scorecard hes filling out.

I know it will probably never happen but I always thought Buffalo should have a MLB baseball team of their own. I know its a small market but WNY has a great and passionate fan base which is obvious with the Bills and Sabres. Teams like the Marlins, Pirates, Royals don't draw that well. Buffalo would definitely do better than those teams. It would make for a nice rivalry with the Blue Jays.

42 minutes ago, Greg S said:

I know it will probably never happen but I always thought Buffalo should have a MLB baseball team of their own. I know its a small market but WNY has a great and passionate fan base which is obvious with the Bills and Sabres. Teams like the Marlins, Pirates, Royals don't draw that well. Buffalo would definitely do better than those teams. It would make for a nice rivalry with the Blue Jays.

well to be fair, everyone out draws the marlins, but thats what happens when you spend over 90% of your existence as a bottom feeder team selling off stars to keep payroll down til you make your occasional 1-2 year run. There have been times where the Bisons and other minor league franchises have had better average attendance.

I don't see an MLB team in Buffalo having better attendance numbers then any other team then Florida after the novelty wears off of having a new team. Baseballs attendance is low in most places because they have such a long season, with 80+ home games a year it takes alot to have decent attendance and alot of corporate support (Buffalos biggest corporate headquarters would be New Era? and they are already cutting sponsorships of the teams after a short time) to help fill this seats. Almost all football teams have good attendance numbers (minus the jags) because there are so few games and the games are considered events, many that go to Bills games consider the game 2nd to 3rd on the list of why they are there. Baseball isn't like that. As for Hockey, Buffalo is a border city to Canada where Hockey is the top sport, baseball isn't a top sport in Buffalo, The Bisons are supported, but mostly because its cheap/affordable.

5 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

well to be fair, everyone out draws the marlins, but thats what happens when you spend over 90% of your existence as a bottom feeder team selling off stars to keep payroll down til you make your occasional 1-2 year run. There have been times where the Bisons and other minor league franchises have had better average attendance.

I don't see an MLB team in Buffalo having better attendance numbers then any other team then Florida after the novelty wears off of having a new team. Baseballs attendance is low in most places because they have such a long season, with 80+ home games a year it takes alot to have decent attendance and alot of corporate support (Buffalos biggest corporate headquarters would be New Era? and they are already cutting sponsorships of the teams after a short time) to help fill this seats. Almost all football teams have good attendance numbers (minus the jags) because there are so few games and the games are considered events, many that go to Bills games consider the game 2nd to 3rd on the list of why they are there. Baseball isn't like that. As for Hockey, Buffalo is a border city to Canada where Hockey is the top sport, baseball isn't a top sport in Buffalo, The Bisons are supported, but mostly because its cheap/affordable.

With no salary cap and a lack of major TV revenue sharing, fielding a competitive team in Buffalo would be next to impossible, IMO. 

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, The Dean said:

With no salary cap and a lack of major TV revenue sharing, fielding a competitive team in Buffalo would be next to impossible, IMO. 

The economics of MLB makes it impossible for a city like Buffalo. And yeah, after the novelty wears off, I can see local fans getting pretty sick of being a farm team for the "haves," losing every good player because you can't afford to sign them. Heck it's true for bigger cities than Buffalo. We are fortunate to have the NFL and NHL here, but can't realistically afford much more.

So I'm going to enjoy this one fluke season. The Jays fit right in with that bullpen. They can't hold a lead.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1