If Trump loses and refuses to leave

5 hours ago, Kemp said:

Funny that Barrett isn't sure whether a President can postpone an election. I thought she's supposed to be an originalist.

Maybe some of the time?

Judges don't render judgments on things such as this without consulting the text of laws and related case law (if any) not to mention deliberation with other SCOTUS judges if she were one.  

14 hours ago, keepthefaith said:

Judges don't render judgments on things such as this without consulting the text of laws and related case law (if any) not to mention deliberation with other SCOTUS judges if she were one.  

There is nothing in the Constitution about postponing an election.

She's supposedly an Originalist.

If she goes on to say that a President can delay an election, she will be an activist judge, something Republicans supposedly are 100% against.

Who's shocked?

Absolutely no one.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, keepthefaith said:

The date for the election and the date for inauguration are in the Constitution

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/12/2020 at 6:38 PM, keepthefaith said:

Rest assured, there will be legal battles that commence right after the election regardless of who it seems won.  Trump's crew will probably have cause due to the volume and lack of custody of mailed ballots.  Biden's side will likely challenge counting deadlines.  That and it doesn't seem like a stretch that recounts in close states and precincts will happen.  Both sides have dozens of lawyers hired already. 

Yup. It’s going to be a ***** show either way. 

30 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Assuming he loses, if he tries to stay in the White House on January 20th he'll be removed by either the Secret Service or FBI.  Physically if need be. 

I hope you're right, but I sincerely doubt it.

7 minutes ago, Kemp said:

I hope you're right, but I sincerely doubt it.

The Constitution says the duly elected President is inaugurated on January 20th.  If that's Biden them Trump will be leaving the White House one way or the other.  I suspect all Republicans will support that, or else they'll lose their party for decades.

36 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Assuming he loses, if he tries to stay in the White House on January 20th he'll be removed by either the Secret Service or FBI.  Physically if need be. 

...but what if Barr agrees with Trump’s claim that he only lost because of possible voting irregularities ?   That is the cover Trump needs to give his claim legitimacy.  It appears to many, including me, that Barr has been finding a way to favor Trump’s causes.  This is Trump’s number one cause.  

So asking directly, will he have support of average Republicans if Barr claims we need to look into voting irregularities?

2 minutes ago, Bob in Mich said:

...but what if Barr agrees with Trump’s claim that he only lost because of possible voting irregularities ?   That is the cover Trump needs to give his claim legitimacy.  It appears to many, including me, that Barr has been finding a way to favor Trump’s causes.  This is Trump’s number one cause.  

So asking directly, will he have support of average Republicans if Barr claims we need to look into voting irregularities?

I would say no.  My guess is that the Senate will turn Democrat after the election, and if lame duck Republicans try to force this then Republicans will destroy their party for the foreseeable future.  The legal wrangling will be potentially crazy on both sides, but if Biden wins, say, Florida, on election night then any chance Trump wins is lost, and I think Republicans would go into self-survival mode.  

I also don't think the Supreme court will look upon this favorably.  Roberts is very cognizant of his place in history; he will not want the Roberts Court to be seen as giving an election to one who has not won it.  

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

The Constitution says the duly elected President is inaugurated on January 20th.  If that's Biden them Trump will be leaving the White House one way or the other.  I suspect all Republicans will support that, or else they'll lose their party for decades.

The Republican Party no longer exists, no matter how this plays out. They will try to resurrect it, but I think it's too late. They will either be forced to be remade as the Trump Party or fail to exist. When faced with that choice, they will become the party of Trump.

Just now, Kemp said:

The Republican Party no longer exists, no matter how this plays out. They will try to resurrect it, but I think it's too late. They will either be forced to be remade as the Trump Party or fail to exist. When faced with that choice, they will become the party of Trump.

I don't think so.  I think you'll see true republicans like Romney take the party back.  At least I hope so; having a Republican party that would go back to its roots as a party of true conservatism rather than the charade we see now would be good for the country.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I don't think so.  I think you'll see true republicans like Romney take the party back.  At least I hope so; having a Republican party that would go back to its roots as a party of true conservatism rather than the charade we see now would be good for the country.

It would be great for the country, but hardcore Trumpers want no part of that and they now represent the majority of Republican voters. The Republican Party of 4 years ago, is gone. It may come back. It might not.

4 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I would say no.  My guess is that the Senate will turn Democrat after the election, and if lame duck Republicans try to force this then Republicans will destroy their party for the foreseeable future.  The legal wrangling will be potentially crazy on both sides, but if Biden wins, say, Florida, on election night then any chance Trump wins is lost, and I think Republicans would go into self-survival mode.  

I also don't think the Supreme court will look upon this favorably.  Roberts is very cognizant of his place in history; he will not want the Roberts Court to be seen as giving an election to one who has not won it.  

Appreciate the reply. I don’t think the Senate comes into the discussion, short another impeachment.  They have shown no appetite to go against Trump.  The Supreme Court May eventually enter into it but for a long time it will be in dispute.  I have been surprised by how many Republicans don’t see Bill Barr as doing anything politically slanted up to this point. They claim the Mueller investigation found nothing largely owing to Barr, imo.  The Flynn and Stone case interference is rationalized by Republicans, because of Barr’s statements too.  I hope you are correct but I think Barr is that AG that Trump always wanted...a protector 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Kemp said:

It would be great for the country, but hardcore Trumpers want no part of that and they now represent the majority of Republican voters. The Republican Party of 4 years ago, is gone. It may come back. It might not.

Hardcore Trumpers are maybe 29% of the electorate.  They are not taking over the country as the AOC wing will never take over the party.  The Trump legacy will hopefully be that the majority of the country that are middle right or left will demand change.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, oldmanfan said:

Hardcore Trumpers are maybe 29% of the electorate.  They are not taking over the country as the AOC wing will never take over the party.  The Trump legacy will hopefully be that the majority of the country that are middle right or left will demand change.

We disagree.

I hope I'm wrong.

1 minute ago, Bob in Mich said:

Appreciate the reply. I don’t think the Senate comes into the discussion, short another impeachment.  They have shown no appetite to go against Trump.  The Supreme Court May eventually enter into it but for a long time it will be in dispute.  I have been surprised by how many Republicans don’t see Bill Barr as doing anything politically slanted up to this point. They claim the Mueller investigation found nothing largely owing to Barr, imo.  The Flynn and Stone case interference is rationalized by Republicans, because of Barr’s statements too.  I hope you are correct but I think Barr is that AG that Trump always wanted...a protector 

It will still come down to courts if that happened and I don’t see either state or federal courts acquiescing to an election being stolen.

Just now, Kemp said:

We disagree.

I hope I'm wrong.

I hope you are as well.

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

It will still come down to courts if that happened and I don’t see either state or federal courts acquiescing to an election being stolen.

All those Trump judges have been put in place for a reason.