“Cancel” / Knee-Jerk Culture of 2020 and beyond

1 hour ago, 716er said:

Perfect, well here we see the right is allowed to have differing opinions, it's called free thinking.

As much as the left constantly chants the right is a trump cult, the left is not allowed different opinions...

look at this board good cultists just repeat the same 1 or 2 cnn/dnc messages over and over and over.

3 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Good Lord. We are NOT talking about going back through US history.  We are talking about it NOW!  And how it's coming mostly from the LEFT.  Do you agree or disagree that it's not only much more prevalent now but it's much more dangerous?  People are afraid to speak their minds for fear of losing their livelihood.  If you don't understand that then I can't help you.  It's not ridiculous.  

So add 719er to the list of those that has no idea what the Cancel Culture is all about.  

No, that's what you want to talk about.  What I want to talk about is that this whole cancel culture crap is just that - crap.  It is an invented phrase by butt hurt right wingers right now in some twisted attempt to get votes.  This kind of political pressure has gone on forever.  It is not more prevalent now nor is it more dangerous.  You're being ridiculous.  

Was it dangerous to the the players of the NFL when Trump was crowing about boycotting the league when players -gasp!! - exercised their constitutional right to protest?  How many vendors and such stood to lose their jobs over that.  Or at Disney when they - gasp! - decided to have a weekend a year at Disney World for gays.  What about that boycott - how many employees could have lost their jobs over that?  I can go on forever with this stuff.  

You are just butt hurt because those on the left wing have seen that they too can play the same game the right wing has played, and that it might have some effect.  and it is a game to be sure.  The people if this country need to realize that we all have rights to our opinions.  As I said earlier, two sides of the same coin.  But now you want to crow that it's dangerous and such just because it's being flipped to affect people or opinions you like.

Get over yourself.  

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Unforgiven said:

Perfect, well here we see the right is allowed to have differing opinions, it's called free thinking.

As much as the left constantly chants the right is a trump cult, the left is not allowed different opinions...

look at this board good cultists just repeat the same 1 or 2 cnn/dnc messages over and over and over.

The phrase cancel culture is a trite little ditty designed to inflame people like you.  The real issue is that people from all political spectra need to realize folks have differing opinions and that’s OK.  

Let’s see how Sen Ernst is treated for speaking the truth.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

No, that's what you want to talk about.  What I want to talk about is that this whole cancel culture crap is just that - crap.  It is an invented phrase by butt hurt right wingers right now in some twisted attempt to get votes.  This kind of political pressure has gone on forever.  It is not more prevalent now nor is it more dangerous.  You're being ridiculous.  

Was it dangerous to the the players of the NFL when Trump was crowing about boycotting the league when players -gasp!! - exercised their constitutional right to protest?  How many vendors and such stood to lose their jobs over that.  Or at Disney when they - gasp! - decided to have a weekend a year at Disney World for gays.  What about that boycott - how many employees could have lost their jobs over that?  I can go on forever with this stuff.  

You are just butt hurt because those on the left wing have seen that they too can play the same game the right wing has played, and that it might have some effect.  and it is a game to be sure.  The people if this country need to realize that we all have rights to our opinions.  As I said earlier, two sides of the same coin.  But now you want to crow that it's dangerous and such just because it's being flipped to affect people or opinions you like.

Get over yourself.  

Wow I sure riled you up. 

You're all over the ***** place.  It's crap, it's a myth, it worse that it used to be, it's left and it's right but it's mostly left. 

Is this your favorite album?  If not it should be.  

image.png.f04d9e72ed5dc1a127b8eec98eb89b68.png

If you don't think it's dangerous (for both sides) and that people have lost their livelihood buy simply expressing their opinions then you're not paying attention.  

11 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Wow I sure riled you up. 

You're all over the ***** place.  It's crap, it's a myth, it worse that it used to be, it's left and it's right but it's mostly left. 

Is this your favorite album?  If not it should be.  

image.png.f04d9e72ed5dc1a127b8eec98eb89b68.png

If you don't think it's dangerous (for both sides) and that people have lost their livelihood buy simply expressing their opinions then you're not paying attention.  

it is all of the above.  It is crap because it is a myth, the myth being that "cancel culture" is some new phenomenon.  As I pointed out, since the beginning of this country political advocates have tried to bend other people and businesses to do what they want.   The right uses it to try to pressure for things they like, and vice versa.  

Companies that get political pressure put on them make choices how to respond.  Welcome to capitalism.  And if someone loses a job because they happened to voice an opinion their boss doesn't like, then they have choices.  They can sue the employer, they can get another job, they can open up a competing business that is more friendly to folks of their political bent.  And so on.  

I'm not surprised you don't get this, and now want to say I'm all over the place.  It's your  MO when you don't have an argument against a stance someone else takes.

16 minutes ago, 716er said:

Who are these "people" you speak of? 

According to you the French Fry lost it's livelihood.  :rolleyes:

Gina Carano is the most recognized person to lose her livelihood when Disney let her go. 

And you can blame "At Will" employment for this.   

18 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

it is all of the above.  It is crap because it is a myth, the myth being that "cancel culture" is some new phenomenon.  As I pointed out, since the beginning of this country political advocates have tried to bend other people and businesses to do what they want.   The right uses it to try to pressure for things they like, and vice versa.  

Companies that get political pressure put on them make choices how to respond.  Welcome to capitalism.  And if someone loses a job because they happened to voice an opinion their boss doesn't like, then they have choices.  They can sue the employer, they can get another job, they can open up a competing business that is more friendly to folks of their political bent.  And so on.  

I'm not surprised you don't get this, and now want to say I'm all over the place.  It's your  MO when you don't have an argument against a stance someone else takes.

All of the above.  🤣

And no they often cannot sue their employer.  See my point about "At Will" employement.  

They can get another job.  Why the ***** should they have to?  

I have a great argument.  You just can't quit figure out yours.  

I've made my point.  You've agreed with it but for some reason you're still arguing.   Pretzel Logic.  It's a great album Old Man. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

According to you the French Fry lost it's livelihood.  :rolleyes:

Gina Carano is the most recognized person to lose her livelihood when Disney let her go. 

And you can blame "At Will" employment for this.   

All of the above.  🤣

And no they often cannot sue their employer.  See my point about "At Will" employement.  

They can get another job.  Why the ***** should they have to?  

I have a great argument.  You just can't quit figure out yours.  

I've made my point.  You've agreed with it but for some reason you're still arguing.   Pretzel Logic.  It's a great album Old Man. 

I do not agree with your point whatsoever, because you have made no point.  

This cancel culture crap is just that.  Crap.  Allow people to express their views regardless of political persuasion, then debate them on the merits of their argument.  Quit threatening individuals, quit threatening companies with boycotts.  And quit pretending it is only one side of the political spectrum responsible.

35 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Didn't you say "people?"

35 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

I have a great argument.  

You don't have one Jimbo.

1 hour ago, 716er said:

Didn't you say "people?"

You don't have one Jimbo.

Yup I said people.  These are in Academia only.  Yes the list goes back a number of years but there are 100 of them from a year or so back.  

https://www.nas.org/storage/app/media/New Documents/academic-cancellations-updated-may-6-2021.pdf

I have an argument.  You just don't agree with it and are not have success arguing against it. 

Edited by Chef Jim

3 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Yup I said people.  These are in Academia only.  Yes the list goes back a number of years but there are 100 of them from a year or so back.  

https://www.nas.org/storage/app/media/New Documents/academic-cancellations-updated-may-6-2021.pdf

Wow did you see the professor in line 1? Widely condemned by a student petition! That's cancel culture?

pathetic.

Line 2 - Cancel culture because the professor was widely condemned by students on social media.

Line 3 - Condemned in a university statement

These poor people's livelihoods! 

Really what you have linked are 172 examples of consequences for one's owns actions from 1975 - present.

1 hour ago, 716er said:

Line 2 - Cancel culture because the professor was widely condemned by students on social media.

Really what you have linked are 172 examples of consequences for one's owns actions from 1975 - present.

Did you not think that any of those listed lost their livelihood for having an opinion?  NOT ONE??  

1 hour ago, 716er said:

It's taken decades, but the right is FINALLY canceling teachers too.

All it took was a pandemic that allowed parents to see what their kids are being taught.

Just now, 716er said:

Seemed like a pretty ***** professor from the clip you shared. Why was she fired?

For being a ***** professor.