A Safe Space for Racists to Discuss Salmon and Other Recipes

2 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

I worked at one of the top restaurants in Beverly Hills in the early 90's.  We were famous for our meatloaf.  

As kids the best was warm meatloaf sandwiches with melted Kraft cheese the next day. 

Reminds me: As a kid, mom would make those frozen salsbury steaks in the aluminum tin. The steaks were devoured by us 5 kids then I'd come swooping in with a loaf of white bread to sop up that brown gravy.

See what I did there? :ph34r:

true story all the while.....

1 hour ago, 3rdnlng said:

Good job fellas, I thought for a moment there this thread was going to fall back into all that racist talk. 

I completely forgot. :D

8 minutes ago, inaugural balls said:

Love me some meatloaf. :thumbsup:

Meatloaf can be tricky.  I can never come close to what my mother did years ago.  Getting the right onion is an important part of getting it right.  If slicing does not make you well up like you were just hit by tear gas then chances are the onion is too weak.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, RochesterRob said:

Meatloaf can be tricky.  I can never come close to what my mother did years ago.  Getting the right onion is an important part of getting it right.  If slicing does not make you well up like you were just hit by tear gas then chances are the onion is too weak.

Hear that.

Mom's meatloaf made us all cry. Sadly, it wasn't because of the onion. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Cinga said:

Me and a brother have 26 hives, I would pay to see this.... brave.gif

Oh bother....:D

2 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I don’t cook, so I do not, but.,,,.

Is it pronounced ‘sammin” or “sal-mun”?  I’ve been going with option 2 and it drives my kids crazy.  

sal-mun is plural

sound too much like rural? 

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, billsfan1959 said:

Maybe we can get him to add some other topics (music, books, movies, etc.) in the title. I’d hate to think we are just confined to recipes

As Phil Rosenthal said, food brings everyone together.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, meazza said:

As Phil Rosenthal said, food brings everyone together.

Meals were always big in our house. My mother was first generation here and for awhile, when I was a kid, we would spend a few months each summer in Rome with my grandparents. Mealtime there was awesome: Every morning I would ride the bus to the market with my grandfather to pick out food for the day. My grandmother would prepare these amazing meals for lunch and dinner for about fifteen people

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, billsfan1959 said:

Meals were always big in our house. My mother was first generation here and for awhile, when I was a kid, we would spend a few months each summer in Rome with my grandparents. Mealtime there was awesome: Every morning I would ride the bus to the market with my grandfather to pick out food for the day. My grandmother would prepare these amazing meals for lunch and dinner for about fifteen people

Food is life.

Just now, meazza said:

Food is life.

Amen, brother. I still make homemade sauce once a month - but I can never seem to quite get the taste of what my grandmother made

2 minutes ago, Beast said:

That did make me laugh out loud.

Yeah, I’ll give props to Gary for that. Pretty funny ?

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, billsfan1959 said:

Amen, brother. I still make homemade sauce once a month - but I can never seem to quite get the taste of what my grandmother made

Same here.  My mom still makes my favorite pasta for my wife and I every couple of months.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, meazza said:

Have you been to Japan? I don't believe I've ever enjoyed a culinary experience like my trip to Japan.

I have not. But one of the best culinary experience I had was a three hour sushi fest at O Ya in Boston.  

• Like (+1) 2

40 minutes ago, inaugural balls said:

Hear that.

Mom's meatloaf made us all cry. Sadly, it wasn't because of the onion. 

Now that my mother has been gone for a while now it is very apparent just how good a cook she was.  Growing up I remember other kids dreading supper but for me it was the highlight of the day.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1