Today's SpaceX/NASA launch

WhoTom

3 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

But to have it shown live?  Not sure.  I imagine there will be video of it. 

But landing on a ship??  That's ***** awesome regardless!! 

Yeah, it's nuts. Incredible precision to land on that thing while it's rocking out on the ocean.

12 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

But everyone in Mission Control is, and they're all wearing masks. I pointed that out to my wife and she said, "Not surprising. I'm pretty sure they all believe in science."

Uh oh........

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

They didn't show the first stage actually land on the pad... ?

Feed cut out and then the rocket was on the pad

Was Copperfield on the ship?  For his next trick will make stage 1 appear from nowhere. 

Just watched the replay, cool as hell. Could not see it from just east of Tampa today, there were too many clouds to the east.

16,000 mph is crazy... and they said the space station rolls at 17,000. 

I was doing a 12 story building on the causeway in Tampa when the Challenger went up. It was a very clear day and we could see it pretty well with binoculars. When things went wrong we were like this doesn't look right. So we went down to our trucks and put the radio on and that's when we found out what actually happened.

I was watching from Palm Beach Gardens, and saw absolutely nothing!  There were a bunch of folks in my neighborhood who went out.  We had a great view next to the lake in our community, and no one ever saw a thing.  Sunny day, clear sky, but some haze far on the horizon.  We were all bummed out.

On 5/30/2020 at 5:58 PM, T&C said:

Just watched the replay, cool as hell. Could not see it from just east of Tampa today, there were too many clouds to the east.

16,000 mph is crazy... and they said the space station rolls at 17,000. 

That's the speed required to maintain earth orbit.

The Apollo lunar missions would do that until the trans lunar injection burn, which got them to escape velocity, about 25,000 mph, to exit earth orbit.

After that burn, they would "coast" towards lunar orbit, losing velocity all the way, as earth's decreasing gravitational pull slowed them down, until entering the moon's gravity pull at about only 2000 mph. They would then accelerate and have to do another burn to slow down so they could land. 

Watching the ISS closely, if you get a night when it's visible for more than a minute or so, and especially three or so, you can actually tell the earth is rotating during the time you watch it, as it "drifts" due to not being in earth's atmosphere.