What's Up Bills Fans

TH's character is often much maligned HOWEVER

he was the only player on offense in 2003 amongst all those gutless losers

who showed up to play every week.

I think he'd do fine in Philly & would be an upgrade over what they currently have,

including Westbrook.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

TH's character is often much maligned HOWEVER

he was the only player on offense in 2003 amongst all those gutless losers

who showed up to play every week.

I think he'd do fine in Philly & would be an upgrade over what they currently have,

including Westbrook.

307959[/snapback]

Well, Westbrook caught 73 passes last year. An integral part of their offensive scheme, I'd think.

travis is a tough back

i'm not sure he's a West Coast Offense type back tho. His blocking isn't that great nor are his receiving skills.

he's not going to burn off long runs either. but he will give you consistent 4-5 on the ground with an occasional 10+

if you're looking for the next barry sanders or a prototypical WCO back, TH isn't it

but if you're looking for a hard running 3 yards and a cloud of dust back who'll move the chains and keep a drive alive, TH is a steal for the 36th overall pick

Couple of great ones, no doubt.

Here's the list of PSU ball-carriers drafted into the NFL.  Many hopefuls, but only a few had careers of any note.

2004 Sean McHugh FB - Titans

2003 Larry Johnson RB - Chiefs

2002 Omar Easy RB - Chiefs 

2001 NONE

2000 NONE

1999 NONE

1998 Curtis Enis RB - Bears

1997 NONE

1996 Jon Witman RB - Steelers 

Brian Milne RB - Colts

Stephen Pitts RB - 49ers 

Mike Archie RB - Oilers 

1995 Ki-Jana Carter RB - Bengals 

1994 NONE

1993 Richie Anderson RB - Jets

1992 Sam Gash FB - Patriots 

1991 Leroy Thompson RB - Steelers 

Gary Brown RB - Oilers 

1990 Blair Thomas RB - Jets

1989 NONE

1988 NONE

1987 D.J. Dozier RB - Vikings 

Tim Manoa RB - Browns 

Steve Smith RB - Raiders

1986 Tony Mumford RB - Patriots

1985 NONE

1984 Jonathan Williams RB - Patriots

1983 Curt Warner RB - Seahawks

1982 Mike Meade RB - Packers 

1981 Booker Moore RB - Bills

1980 Matt Suhey RB - Bears

Mike Guman RB - Rams

1979 Bob Torrey RB - Giants

1978 Steve Geise RB - Bengals

1977 NONE

1976 NONE

1975 Tom Donchez RB - Bills

1974 John Cappelletti RB - Rams

1973 NONE

1972 Franco Harris RB - Steelers

Lydell Mitchell RB - Colts

1971 NONE

1970 Charlie Pittman RB - Cardinals

1969 Bob Campbell RB - Steelers

1968 NONE

1967 Mike Irwin RB - Bills 

1966 Don Kunit RB - Cowboys

1965 NONE

1964 Tom Urbanik FB - Redskins

1963 Dave Hayes FB - Colts

1962 Roger Kochman RB - Cardinals

Al Gursky RB - Giants

1961 James Kerr RB - Redskins

Don Jonas RB - Eagles

1960 NONE

1959 NONE

1958 NONE

1957 NONE

1956 Lenny Moore RB - Colts

307896[/snapback]

fascinating.

they've done well recently with fullbacks (gash, anderson), and curt warner was a phenomenal player before getting hurt. i am also absolutely convinced that kijana carter would have been a great player if not for that unfortunate preseason knee injury he suffered at the silverdome in his rookie season. the same could probably be argued about curtis enis, who also tore up his knee badly early on. one just can't predict those things, and on top of it everyone is susceptible to that injury (not just a few players). the jury is still out on larry johnson, but he looked strong last year (although everyone seems to look strong behind the chiefs line).

Couple of great ones, no doubt.

Here's the list of PSU ball-carriers drafted into the NFL.  Many hopefuls, but only a few had careers of any note.

2004 Sean McHugh FB - Titans

2003 Larry Johnson RB - Chiefs

2002 Omar Easy RB - Chiefs 

2001 NONE

2000 NONE

1999 NONE

1998 Curtis Enis RB - Bears

1997 NONE

1996 Jon Witman RB - Steelers 

Brian Milne RB - Colts

Stephen Pitts RB - 49ers 

Mike Archie RB - Oilers 

1995 Ki-Jana Carter RB - Bengals 

1994 NONE

1993 Richie Anderson RB - Jets

1992 Sam Gash FB - Patriots 

1991 Leroy Thompson RB - Steelers 

Gary Brown RB - Oilers 

1990 Blair Thomas RB - Jets

1989 NONE

1988 NONE

1987 D.J. Dozier RB - Vikings 

Tim Manoa RB - Browns 

Steve Smith RB - Raiders

1986 Tony Mumford RB - Patriots

1985 NONE

1984 Jonathan Williams RB - Patriots

1983 Curt Warner RB - Seahawks

1982 Mike Meade RB - Packers 

1981 Booker Moore RB - Bills

1980 Matt Suhey RB - Bears

Mike Guman RB - Rams

1979 Bob Torrey RB - Giants

1978 Steve Geise RB - Bengals

1977 NONE

1976 NONE

1975 Tom Donchez RB - Bills

1974 John Cappelletti RB - Rams

1973 NONE

1972 Franco Harris RB - Steelers

Lydell Mitchell RB - Colts

1971 NONE

1970 Charlie Pittman RB - Cardinals

1969 Bob Campbell RB - Steelers

1968 NONE

1967 Mike Irwin RB - Bills 

1966 Don Kunit RB - Cowboys

1965 NONE

1964 Tom Urbanik FB - Redskins

1963 Dave Hayes FB - Colts

1962 Roger Kochman RB - Cardinals

Al Gursky RB - Giants

1961 James Kerr RB - Redskins

Don Jonas RB - Eagles

1960 NONE

1959 NONE

1958 NONE

1957 NONE

1956 Lenny Moore RB - Colts

307896[/snapback]

let's not forget lenny moore either - a seven time all-pro!!

Guest BackInDaDay
let's not forget lenny moore either - a seven time all-pro!!

307983[/snapback]

Absolutely, and I'm a PSU fan, but the fact is their most recently highly touted backs (Curtis Enis, Ki-Jana Carter and Blair Thomas) weren't able to make their mark in the pros. Beside FB Sam Gash, Curt Warner was their best pro in the last 20 years.

But just to stay on topic, Henry didn't go there, so don't hold that against him. :D

Also, I believe that the noted slip-ups that Henry had in the early part of last season can be attributed to his pressing, knowing that Willis was ready to take his job at any time. I also think that Travis is a good locker room guy. He mostly kept his unhappiness to himself during the regular season. His recent comments are more e product of the fact that he sees himself playing elsewhere next year.

the jury is still out on larry johnson, but he looked strong last year (although everyone seems to look strong behind the chiefs line).

307978[/snapback]

there is the true PSU RB curse. Paterno tends to build his offense around his line, not skill players. once in awhile he'll be blessed with a gifted skill player or 2 (like 95 with Carter/Collins/Brady). but he has a history of building around the anonymous guys up front and letting some average QB/RB/WR take all the credit

there is the true PSU RB curse.  Paterno tends to build his offense around his line, not skill players.  once in awhile he'll be blessed with a gifted skill player or 2 (like 95 with Carter/Collins/Brady).  but he has a history of building around the anonymous guys up front and letting some average QB/RB/WR take all the credit

308095[/snapback]

It was a shame about Carter and his injuries. I was here when CIN moved up a bit to draft him (made no sense - they had a healthy Garrison Hearst and passed over OT Tony Boselli). He would have been something, though.

In his very limited playing time in the league, he was a tough runner, had very good hands and blocking skills, and was one of those that had the ability to pound the ball over the goal line - he's one of the tops in carries for td's, for whatever that stat means.

Too bad. Decent citizen, also.

Putting Henry into a versatile offense with Mcnabb Owens, and a good O-line, he will get 1200+ yards no problem. He put up those numbers with a fledgling offense, Drew Bledsoe as QB, and an O-line in progress. I think he will be a bargain for you guys. Just my Opinion. He's a little bowling ball.

Putting Henry into a versatile offense  with Mcnabb Owens, and a good O-line, he will get 1200+ yards no problem.

If he were the featured back and stayed healthy, he'd get 1500 yards easily. However he'd likely be splitting time with Westbrook and/or Buckhalter, and staying healthy is the big question.

Travis was terrible last year but for the first six games everyone on offense was terrible. Virtually everyone. The offense was not learned yet. The line was banged up and played awful. Drew was extremely erratic. Moulds was dropping balls. Reed and Shaw were stumbling bad and dropping passes. Every play someone else would miss an assignment. Evans had yet to make it on the field much. The TEs were non-existent. Shelton hadn't hit his stride. The play-calling was erratic and suspect. Even Willis when he played was sluggish.

307776[/snapback]

But that doesn't excuse Travis....The same guy with a same lousy team

ran for 1300 yards the previous year with his starting WR injured, a non-existent

2nd WR and pretty bad OL.

If he were the featured back and stayed healthy, he'd get 1500 yards easily.  However he'd likely be splitting time with Westbrook and/or Buckhalter, and staying healthy is the big question.

308119[/snapback]

1,500 yards, "easily" no less? :D

So I guess that you consider him an all-time great, huh?

Kelly the Dog, are you reading this?

MBD, how many yards do you think WM will rush for, 2,000? I mean, why would the Bills trade a back who can rush for 1,500 yards easily, with a low salary to boot?

ran for 1300 yards the previous year with his starting WR injured, a non-existent

308231[/snapback]

It serves quite well to excuse him if each and every post/opinion is about being a homer.

308231[/snapback]

That's a bit over 80 yards per game over 16. You need not be a star back to do that. With the rule changes throttling the defense through the years, it's not a big deal. What still counts is the conversions and the touchdowns near the goal line. TH shines a little less, there.

It serves quite well to excuse him if each and every post/opinion is about being a homer.

308243[/snapback]

Bill, the total tonnage of garbage you post on this could fill the friggin' Grand Canyon. I post all kinds of things, both good and bad about the guy. I never said he was great, I never said he would get a #1 pick, I never said he was all around great back. I have acknowledged over and over his wealth of shortcomings as a blocker and a fumbler and lack of breakaway speed and penchant for being hurt and not being a smart guy and off the field problems. Those are what we call negatives. That is what people call being fair. You, on the other hand, refuse to even acknowledge that he should be allowed to be breathing on this earth. Who is being more reasonable?

Bill, the total tonnage of garbage you post on this could fill the friggin' Grand Canyon. I post all kinds of things, both good and bad about the guy. I never said he was great, I never said he would get a #1 pick, I never said he was all around great back. I have acknowledged over and over his wealth of shortcomings as a blocker and a fumbler and lack of breakaway speed and penchant for being hurt and not being a smart guy and off the field problems. Those are what we call negatives. That is what people call being fair. You, on the other hand, refuse to even acknowledge that he should be allowed to be breathing on this earth. Who is being more reasonable?

308261[/snapback]

Whatever. An unwanted Left Tackle (pretty rare, no?) and a swap of picks in the 2nd (or perhaps 3rd) round isn't exactly a windfall....this IF we get it.

You see fit to repeatedly take me to task for my low expectations in return for this misfit. This is of course your privilege. I dont see you taking exception to the Gallery, Jason Taylor, 2nd pick in the draft, etc. trades prposed here, nor the 1,500 yards rushing ("easily") predictions.

Why not?

Travis was terrible last year but for the first six games everyone on offense was terrible. Virtually everyone. The offense was not learned yet. The line was banged up and played awful. Drew was extremely erratic. Moulds was dropping balls. Reed and Shaw were stumbling bad and dropping passes. Every play someone else would miss an assignment. Evans had yet to make it on the field much. The TEs were non-existent. Shelton hadn't hit his stride. The play-calling was erratic and suspect. Even Willis when he played was sluggish.

307776[/snapback]

The above is excuse making and "homerism" at its absolute finest. Nah, Henry sliding on his stupid ass on crucial plays meant little to nothing. :D It was the rest of the team! Yes, the rest of the team... and on "every play."

As soon as Travis Gump was removed from the lineup, the Bills ran all over and Arizona and proceded to win football games. They were even able to play a little "smashmouth" as advertised. Henry had how many rushing TDs in 04?

You and others can try to wish him into being a valueable commodity, but he is simply not. A swap of picks and a garbage dump LT that nobody wants is far from high compensation, this if it even plays out as such.

We shall soon see.