How to make your own homemade face mask videos:

BillsFan4

With more states recommending that people wear masks in public I wanted to put together a thread with some of my favorite homemade face mask how-to’s (feel free to add some of your own too). There are so many different videos out there. Some very easy to make, others more complex. Some with more protection, others less. So I wanted to gather some of each style.

Lets start with one of the most basic - a no-sew mask made with a piece of cloth. Anyone should be able to make one of these in minutes. All that’s required is a piece of cloth (and some extra filter material, like a coffee filter or piece of blue shop towel for ex.), a couple folds and 2 rubber bands or hair ties:

6CFA21F1-4394-4A50-837F-7AD1822CE365.png

Video on making this style of mask:

Edited by BillsFan4

Next is a much more complex mask. It’s probably not required for most people, but I wanted to share it anyway.

It’s made from a HEPA filter vacuum cleaner bag. I’ve read these masks are more for front line workers that don’t have n95 masks.

—————————————————————————

Here’s a super easy mask made out of paper towels, a coffee filter and 2 rubber bands.

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 1

No-sew mask from blue shop towels.

He uses paper shop towels. I would recommend using the polyester/hydro-knit version (like Scott’s Pro or Zeb’s or Toolbox’s brands. Look for hydro knit material, not paper).

2 layers of hydro knit material is supposed to filter up to 93% (which, if true, is pretty good for a homemade face mask)

Here’s another video using 2 layers of blue shop towel (which is what the business insider article recommended. Article linked below)

Article on why to use the blue hydro knit shop towels:

https://www.businessinsider.com/homemade-mask-using-hydro-knit-shop-towel-filters-better-2020-4

Edited by BillsFan4

Here are 4 different patterns requiring sewing, evaluated by a physician who sews.

She actually had the 4 masks FIT TESTED (it may be of interest to see the fit testing gizmo, @SDS: I never had a fit test that sophisticated myself, it was just a nebulizer sprayed around my face, but pretty cool) and one of them passed!!!!

• Thank you (+1) 1

And here is my favorite video about making your own mask.  I like it because she demonstrates how to fit to different size faces, how to use different size scarves, and provides a list of filter material tested and recommended in her country at the end.

We used a 5" 8" piece of shop towel as a filter.  The Crazy Ninja Sewist Ladies bought a particle tester and found them to work.

For our use, make it bigger than she says - cut a filter 5" x 8", and fold a bandana not quite in quarters. 

Place a pipe cleaner or piece of 18 gauge wire at the upper fold and use it to fit the mask over your nose - if you place it at the fold and have about 1/4" double layer of bandana above it, tuck that in against your cheeks face after donning the mask and it will help keep your glasses from fogging.

I used stretched-out hair ties scavenged from the kid's room.

I have compared this on walks to a hand-sewn pleated face mask with a filter pocket.  Both stayed in place comparably and were comparably comfortable.

This is more effective than just putting a scarf or gaiter over your face - We scent-tested both, and it does provide reduction, about comparable to the filter pocket mask (a scarf or gaiter DO NOT).  Neither make a tight seal, but both will stop most of what you exhale, helping to stop transmission chains.  If everyone wears one, life may be able to be closer to normal.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

547370AF-658E-4F46-94FD-A9C0B79342EB.jpeg

I came to post that. Disgusting. But since this is a pinned thread, perhaps not appropriate. 

But I bet it works!

Edited by The Dean

52 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

I wonder how good motorcycle helmets with face shields are compared to some of the home made masks.

It probably depends upon what you're trying to do.  My understanding is the point of a homemade mask is to protect other people from you.  The inner surface of the mask absorbs particles you exhale or cough out.  If everyone wears one, your mask protects ME; my mask protects YOU.

I think a face shield would probably do better at blocking other people's particulates from reaching you, but would deflect your own exhalations downward.

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It probably depends upon what you're trying to do.  My understanding is the point of a homemade mask is to protect other people from you.  The inner surface of the mask absorbs particles you exhale or cough out.  If everyone wears one, your mask protects ME; my mask protects YOU.

I think a face shield would probably do better at blocking other people's particulates from reaching you, but would deflect your own exhalations downward.

Quick question. Now that they are recommending anyone out in public wear a mask, I thought that was (at least partially) to protect you from the airborne droplets left after someone coughed/sneezed. I understand (when they were suggesting people who were well leave the masks for others) the main use for the masks is/was to protect others. But aren't these homemade masks meant to  protect you, as well? 

25 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

What I am trying to do is something that does not fog up my glasses and I remember wearing a helmet on my scooter and not having issues.  Asking me to wear eye protection (googles) and a face mask is not happening.

Make sure you have a mask that has something to fit it tightly against your nose - if it's a folded bandana, place about a 5" piece of 16 gauge wire, a doubled pipe cleaner, or even a heavy-duty folding tie (twist tie too heavy to twist) along the top edge.  If it's a mask, slide it between the layers and stitch in place.

Use that to shape the mask firmly over your nose about two fingers up from the end, and your cheeks next to your nose.  If it's fitted reasonably snuggly, your glasses should not fog.  If your glasses fog, it's a sign the mask doesn't fit well enough.  You can actually achieve this with a no-sew mask made from a bandanna.

1 hour ago, The Dean said:

Quick question. Now that they are recommending anyone out in public wear a mask, I thought that was (at least partially) to protect you from the airborne droplets left after someone coughed/sneezed. I understand (when they were suggesting people who were well leave the masks for others) the main use for the masks is/was to protect others. But aren't these homemade masks meant to  protect you, as well? 

They will def. some protection, especially if they are equipped with some kind of filter material that has been shown to stop particulates - 2 layers of shop towels, electrostatic filter material, HEPA vacuum bag material - and if they make a reasonably close fit (some kind of piece that bends over the nose).  If the mask pulls in to your face when you inhale and pushes out a bit when you exhale, you've got a pretty good fit and filtration is taking place.

The key piece is the social compact though - the homemade masks are much better at stopping stuff from getting out, than at stopping particulates getting in.  So if everyone wears a mask, you are protected by their masks and they are protected by yours.

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Make sure you have a mask that has something to fit it tightly against your nose - if it's a folded bandana, place about a 5" piece of 16 gauge wire, a doubled pipe cleaner, or even a heavy-duty folding tie (twist tie too heavy to twist) along the top edge.  If it's a mask, slide it between the layers and stitch in place.

Use that to shape the mask firmly over your nose about two fingers up from the end, and your cheeks next to your nose.  If it's fitted reasonably snuggly, your glasses should not fog.  If your glasses fog, it's a sign the mask doesn't fit well enough.  You can actually achieve this with a no-sew mask made from a bandanna.

They will def. some protection, especially if they are equipped with some kind of filter material that has been shown to stop particulates - 2 layers of shop towels, electrostatic filter material, HEPA vacuum bag material - and if they make a reasonably close fit (some kind of piece that bends over the nose).  If the mask pulls in to your face when you inhale and pushes out a bit when you exhale, you've got a pretty good fit and filtration is taking place.

The key piece is the social compact though - the homemade masks are much better at stopping stuff from getting out, than at stopping particulates getting in.  So if everyone wears a mask, you are protected by their masks and they are protected by yours.

Oh yes, I get that. 

Thanks.

Edited by The Dean

49 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Today was my first trip to the store with my new mask. Most people had them on, and I’d have felt badly if I didn’t. Partly for the other shoppers, but mostly for the cashiers. I know most of them by name as a ten year shopper at least 6 times a week. I owe that to them, and I admire their perseverance and positive attitudes. 

• Like (+1) 4

My wife used to be a professional tailor.

She made me a mask using three layers of shop towels wrapped in cloth (multiple layers).

They do not fog up glasses like commercial ones but this is cut to fit.

me-with-mask.jpg

She also has a hat for me using two layers cellophane wrap used to wrap gifts for face shield.

me-with-mask2.jpg

Ready for Wallmart shopping.

Edited by Limeaid
  • Like (+1) 2

This is the Olson mask.

The Olson Mask Pattern was designed by medical professionals to be used when other surgical and N95 masks are not available.

Here is step by step instructions, materials, etc: (this is for people who know how to sew (not me...)).

https://www.avera.org/app/files/public/76443/Olson-Mask-with-Pattern.pdf

Edited by BillsFan4

...stopped at Walmart yesterday for my usual Saturday grocery shopping.......wandered into the Paint Dept as I needed a razor blade scraper.......there on the bottom shelf were two 5 packs of painter's masks......think I'd better play the Lotto...SMH..........

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...stopped at Walmart yesterday for my usual Saturday grocery shopping.......wandered into the Paint Dept as I needed a razor blade scraper.......there on the bottom shelf were two 5 packs of painter's masks......think I'd better play the Lotto...SMH..........

Are you gonna keep 'em all or keep 1 per fam and call your local emergency room and first responders if they need donations?

16 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Are you gonna keep 'em all or keep 1 per fam and call your local emergency room and first responders if they need donations?

...as a widower living alone, I only need one for my weekly grocery trip and easily reused....my kids are all set....we have 200 construction workers in the field who are now required to wear them (NY).......our mask orders are either being redirected, delayed or notification that they will be short shipped...thus, the remaining nine will go to our employees.....

• Like (+1) 3

Not a video, but very valuable.

These ladies actually purchased a $2000 particle testing device from Grainger (a Portacount Pro) and set to work testing materials.  Shop towels tested among the best.

They then went to work testing mask designs.  They have released their mask design, along with actual particle testing results.

Please note that they are making masks to distribute to HCW, first responders, and essential workers. 

They are continuing to employ their workers to do this, and ask for donations to support the work

Here is a link to their design:
https://suayla.com/pages/suay-community-mask-coalition

Here is their test data of their design:

image.thumb.png.52f94b0e98bc0b17f04a698b4c256935.png

Here is an article about them:

https://www.businessinsider.com/homemade-mask-using-hydro-knit-shop-towel-filters-better-2020-4?op=1

• Thank you (+1) 1