Sign in to follow this  
qwksilver

Edge in the upcoming draft

Posted (edited)

The Athletic has us picking up Akers in the third:

"Round 3, pick 86: Cam Akers, running back, Florida State

"In recent years, the Bills have taken a liking to veteran running backs. So far, they haven’t addressed the position in free agency, leaving only T.J. Yeldon behind Devin Singletary in the backfield. At this point, maybe it’s fair to consider Singletary the veteran presence at the position. He’s already looking like a potential star who also sets the right example off the field after having a year to learn from Frank Gore.

"Both McDermott and Beane have talked about the need to have multiple backs. This is a deep class at running back, so it wouldn’t be a surprise to see them dip into the pool of talent at some point. While this may seem early to take a back, [my color and bolding] Florida State’s Cam Akers presents a lot of value. The Athletic’s Dane Brugler had him as a third-round pick in his latest mock draft and he may be too good to pass up there. His attacking style could be a nice complement to the shifty, patient Singletary."

https://theathletic.com/1700219/2020/03/25/bills-seven-round-mock-draft-how-free-agency-shook-things-up/

Now, see, this would make sense, if Akers is still there, which would be far from a sure thing. What really is all but a sure thing is that there'll be good value at RB in this draft through the 3rd, 4th and 5th round.

It's a good seven-round mock, OL Wanogho in the 2nd, and edge rusher Willekes in the 4th, among others. That would be sweet.

Edited by Thurman#1

7 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

The Athletic has us picking up Akers in the third:

"Round 3, pick 86: Cam Akers, running back, Florida State

"In recent years, the Bills have taken a liking to veteran running backs. So far, they haven’t addressed the position in free agency, leaving only T.J. Yeldon behind Devin Singletary in the backfield. At this point, maybe it’s fair to consider Singletary the veteran presence at the position. He’s already looking like a potential star who also sets the right example off the field after having a year to learn from Frank Gore.

"Both McDermott and Beane have talked about the need to have multiple backs. This is a deep class at running back, so it wouldn’t be a surprise to see them dip into the pool of talent at some point. While this may seem early to take a back, [my color and bolding] Florida State’s Cam Akers presents a lot of value. The Athletic’s Dane Brugler had him as a third-round pick in his latest mock draft and he may be too good to pass up there. His attacking style could be a nice complement to the shifty, patient Singletary."

https://theathletic.com/1700219/2020/03/25/bills-seven-round-mock-draft-how-free-agency-shook-things-up/

Now, see, this would make sense, if Akers is still there, which would be far from a sure thing. What really is all but a sure thing is that there'll be good value at RB in this draft through the 3rd, 4th and 5th round.

It's a good seven-round mock, OL Wanogho in the 2nd, and edge rusher Willekes in the 4th, among others. That would be sweet.

I would love to get Akers, but can't imagine him being available in the last 1/3 of round 3.  

11 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I would love to get Akers, but can't imagine him being ava find milable in the last 1/3 of round 3.  

As I find more about the RB's, I'm finding this knock on Akers.   Although he is a good physical specimen and got good production the fact that he played on a college team without a great QB and with a poor offensive line both hurts and helps the estimate of how he would do in the pro's.   Taking those views as two extremes: [1] imagine how much better he would have done with a real OL?  [2] he doesn't know how to run behind a real offensive line and maybe he can't learn.   ....  He may not have learned how to use good offensive linemen to set up their blocks to break loose and use patience to let plays develop before making his move.  Can he still learn this?   He may not take care of the ball well and has never had to learn to pass block- on a poorer team they didn't waste him doing that. ....  He might come with some risks. Remember EJ who on paper was a great QB for his college, but was a step slow in  processing information in the pros.  Could be great. Could be a flop/

35 minutes ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

As I find more about the RB's, I'm finding this knock on Akers.   Although he is a good physical specimen and got good production the fact that he played on a college team without a great QB and with a poor offensive line both hurts and helps the estimate of how he would do in the pro's.   Taking those views as two extremes: [1] imagine how much better he would have done with a real OL?  [2] he doesn't know how to run behind a real offensive line and maybe he can't learn.   ....  He may not have learned how to use good offensive linemen to set up their blocks to break loose and use patience to let plays develop before making his move.  Can he still learn this?   He may not take care of the ball well and has never had to learn to pass block- on a poorer team they didn't waste him doing that. ....  He might come with some risks. Remember EJ who on paper was a great QB for his college, but was a step slow in  processing information in the pros.  Could be great. Could be a flop/

I'm an FSU fan and trust me Akers is an absolute stud. He'd constantly be getting mugged at the line of scrimmage and get 2-4 yards. He usually broke a couple of big ones a game, which is what got him his majority of yards. He's also a great receiver out of the backfield. He's very comparable to Dalvin Cook in my opinion. If Cook went in the first and Akers goes in the 3rd its an absolute steal.

I could have told you EJ Manuel was gonna be a bust and probably did on these boards but everyone looked at his stats and said man he's got a really good shot. The thing about Manuel was he was a huge reason why Florida State went 12-2 in 2012. That is not a positive. That team was loaded and he cost FSU both games against NC State and Florida. If Jameis Winston started over Manuel as a true Freshmen I have little doubt that FSU would have been back to back national champions.

• Thanks! (+1) 1

On 3/27/2020 at 2:40 PM, gonzo1105 said:

I'm an FSU fan and trust me Akers is an absolute stud. He'd constantly be getting mugged at the line of scrimmage and get 2-4 yards. He usually broke a couple of big ones a game, which is what got him his majority of yards. He's also a great receiver out of the backfield. He's very comparable to Dalvin Cook in my opinion. If Cook went in the first and Akers goes in the 3rd its an absolute steal.

I could have told you EJ Manuel was gonna be a bust and probably did on these boards but everyone looked at his stats and said man he's got a really good shot. The thing about Manuel was he was a huge reason why Florida State went 12-2 in 2012. That is not a positive. That team was loaded and he cost FSU both games against NC State and Florida. If Jameis Winston started over Manuel as a true Freshmen I have little doubt that FSU would have been back to back national champions.

Glad to hear from someone who saw him a lot. Of the top 5, he is the most likely to be available at #54 or even (on maybe a quarter of the mocks) 5-10 picks below #54.

Posted (edited)

I really think they're done at DE. Hughes isn't going anywhere. Mario Addison was brought in to start on the other side. Quinton Jefferson was Seattle's most consistent pass rusher last season and will be first off the bench, at worst. Trent Murphy is still on the roster and I don't think Beane and McDermott are as eager to dump him as the fan base is. I could see him restructuring if push came to shove. And then there's Daryl Johnson who showed a lot of promise as a late round pick last season. 

That's 5. Traditionally, you keep 4 DE's. Even if they were to move on from Murphy, I think DE's all set.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

7 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I really think they're done at DE. Hughes isn't going anywhere. Mario Addison was brought in to start on the other side. Quinton Jefferson was Seattle's most consistent pass rusher last season and will be first off the bench, at worst. Trent Murphy is still on the roster and I don't think Beane and McDermott are as eager to dump him as the fan base is. I could see him restructuring if push came to shove. And then there's Daryl Johnson who showed a lot of promise as a late round pick last season. 

That's 5. Traditionally, you keep 4 DE's. Even if they were to move on from Murphy, I think DE's all set.

I think Jefferson is more a 'tweener', 3 technique or 5 technique in run situations (shaq role).  Not sure they see Jefferson as a true edge guy.  I think they have a couple guys on their radar for round 2 or 3, after that, I would be surprised if they went edge.  

A pass rushing edge, complimentary RB, and corner/safety depth will likely make the most impact this season.