Erie County/Upstate New York Covid-19 Response (was: Erie Co Declares State of Emergency

Big Turk

8 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

No surprise there

I know teachers are still getting paid but does anybody know what happens to the kitchen staff, cleaning staff, bus drivers, teaching aids, etc...?

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

I know teachers are still getting paid but does anybody know what happens to the kitchen staff, cleaning staff, bus drivers, teaching aids, etc...?

I always said this is really a labor issue.

Lot of the places like drive thrus, etc... Do they really want to open back up?  They are still rolling in dough.  Do the schools really want the overhead.  Stay at home, learn via remote... All save a bundle. 

Just work a skeleton crew and run them ragged.

Slow march to total automation...

2 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

In VA it varies per school system. 

In Fairfax County School Systems they are inadequately covered by unions and while I know county discussed breaking contract (although not one for teachers) they decided to honor contract and pay thru end of year with managers required to work Fridays from home to ensure timecards are done.  They made a mistake however and forgot to account for personnel to prepare food for free and reduced meals which they are still preparing and tried to lure some back with incentives working in central kitchen which personnel are disinclined to do.

Janitorial staff are usually still employed and working since they have 12 month contracts. 

If schools are closed in fall except for elementary schools as some are recommending staying with online classes only I am sure they will not be paid for kitchen staff is usually first to have benefits cut / cost of living raises cut / reduced.  Union is saying Fairfax County may not rehire old food service workers because they could break ability for many employees to get pensions that way.

• Like (+1) 1

https://wbfo.drupal.publicbroadcasting.net/post/wanted-new-york-thousands-covid-19-contact-tracers

NY is looking for up to 17,000 contact tracers.

details if you’re interested:

https://coronavirus.health.ny.gov/get-involved-how-you-can-help

you would be working from home from what I understand. I heard the pay is alright too (but haven’t confirmed that).

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 1

https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/statement-secretary-governor-melissa-derosa-ny-pause-executive-order?fbclid=IwAR15A0tpADfBCxsaM1iNfTovOEdSWI5jcjciYKXCpTrIJQb3Mzt4GhmN_uA

"NY ON PAUSE was not extended to June 6.

"Yesterday's Executive Order extended the underlying legal authority for the Emergency Order, but did not change the text of any of the directives in NY ON PAUSE and so the expiration date of May 15 still stands until further notice. At that time, new guidance will be issued for regions based on the metrics outlined by Governor Cuomo earlier this week."

I am seeing some misunderstanding already on this reopening in NY (not here, in real life). 

Not all of NYS is in phase one. Counties that meet the gating criteria can move into phase one starting May 15th. Check your local county to see if it meets the criteria. If you are unsure call your county executive or health department.

And once we start opening, it’s going to be on us citizens to help monitor if businesses/employers are following guidelines. They can’t just reopen like normal.

They have to follow phase 1 criteria. If you’re concerned they’re not, talk to your boss or the business owner/manager. If all else fails you can report them to the county or N.Y. labor.

We have not beat this virus by any means. We’re going to have to be more vigilant than ever as we reopen, otherwise case numbers will spike and we’ll be back on lockdown. Nobody wants that. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So what's up with WNY not meeting the criteria for decline in hospitalizations and decline in hospital deaths?

Anyone know?

From wgrz.  We're behind in two of the seven categories.  We're getting there as far as hospital deaths.  Progress still needs to be made on decline in hospitalizations.

One category requires a 14-day decline in net hospitalizations (the Western region currently stands at 0), or having less than 15 new hospitalizations on average over three days, and right now our average is 28.

The other metric we're not meeting is a 14-day decline in hospital deaths (we've only four days right now), or fewer than five hospital deaths on average over three days, and right now we average nine deaths per day.

8 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So what's up with WNY not meeting the criteria for decline in hospitalizations and decline in hospital deaths?

Anyone know?

It makes me wonder how many are taking this thing serious around here. 

Personally, Ive seen multiple neighbors on my street gathering in large groups quite frequently. I’ve even seen multiple neighbors have big parties - for Easter, mother’s day. A couple had birthday parties. One house on mother’s day must have had about 10 cars parked out in the street. Even the ones that say they’re  “taking it serious”, like my neighbor a few doors down with CODP, aren’t really taking it serious. Like, for her birthday a couple weeks ago her family did one of those car parades. Has to be about 7 cars. They drive by, honk. Circle around, then about 1/2 of the cars park in front of her house. They get out of the car, go right up to my neighbor and they all start HUGGING HER. No masks on anyone. Same thing on mother’s day. I was left wondering what the point of the car parade even was...lol. There’s 2 houses in particular, one right next door and the other a few doors down, that constantly have people over. Like, almost every day. My neighbor on the other side just had about 5 people over when the weather was nice last week. They all hung out shoulder to shoulder in his yard drinking beers. Then when it cooled off they all crowded into his small shed and hung out there all night.

Went to watch the fly over at the park near my house 2 days ago. It was absolutely packed. I couldn’t even find a spot to park. I’d say maybe 1/2 (or less) were wearing masks or tying to social distance. It’s not the 1st time I went to walk in that park and there were lots of people crowding together. I’ve drove by restaurants and seen crowds standing outside waiting for food (with very little mask wearing and social distancing). I see many people in public without masks. Many who don’t social distance. I’ve had people standing 

Most of my friends I talk to are out and about almost every day. 

I think I told you about my friend who told me how serious he was taking this, then tells me how he’s running to the stores every day (no mask). He’s having groups of friends over for card parties (but he wore gloves! ?‍♂️ and had just come back from picking his sister up at the airport...). 

Maybe this is just my experience though? I know that many around here are following the guidelines. Maybe it’s just my neighborhood... lol