Erie County/Upstate New York Covid-19 Response (was: Erie Co Declares State of Emergency

Big Turk

What I found weird is that a lot of retailers are already opened for Curbside pickup. So I didn't know why that was included in Phase One.

The more I thought about it though, it might make it easier to go from Phase 1 to Phase 2 with that in there. If those stores are already open, it shouldn't affect the numbers drastically in this stage and might make a move to Phase 2 easier.

1 hour ago, Justin C said:

What I found weird is that a lot of retailers are already opened for Curbside pickup. So I didn't know why that was included in Phase One.

The more I thought about it though, it might make it easier to go from Phase 1 to Phase 2 with that in there. If those stores are already open, it shouldn't affect the numbers drastically in this stage and might make a move to Phase 2 easier.

At least around here (midwest) stores that are open for curbside pickup are only those defined as "essential" (hardware, food, restaurants, drugstores)

So the way I interpret it, the retailers who can now open for curbside pickup are the boutique stores, clothing, department stores, home good stores, electronics, specialty shops

Of course, there's an element of nonsense because if I wanted to buy (say) a new frying pan or a soap dispenser or some special soap, I could already buy from Wal-mart or Target if they have it because they sell groceries and cleaning supplies so they're defined as essential. 

But now every retail shop can open for curbside if they choose

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

2 weeks minimum before phase 2. Not sure about phase 3.

Same as the [National/CDC] guidelines. You have to prove you can stay at your level for two weeks before you move to the next one. 

[Hap Edit: it's my understanding that NYS basically is following the National guidelines on CDC website/announced at Task Force meeting.  It just seems unusual and harsh because many states are NOT following them]

• Like (+1) 1

So I wonder what happens if the “new hospitalization” rate holds steady where it is?

3 days ago it was at 20. 2 days ago it was 17. That’s an 18.5 average. If yesterday’s rate wasn’t below 15, we would technically fail the 1st metric, right?

So what happens then?

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

So I wonder what happens if the “new hospitalization” rate holds steady where it is?

3 days ago it was at 20. 2 days ago it was 17. That’s an 18.5 average. If yesterday’s rate wasn’t below 15, we would technically fail the 1st metric, right?

So what happens then?

Probably stay in phase 1 til it goes down. Its not going to be a quick process. You have to trust the process. Bills fans should be used to that by now. 

• Like (+1) 1

.....how low can people go?.....oops.....stupid question........

Homeland Security Investigations Buffalo seizes unauthorized test kits, face masks

WHECTV
Created: May 23, 2020 07:32 AM

BUFFALO, N.Y. (WHEC) — Homeland Security agents in Buffalo are reporting a major bust of unapproved masks and test kits for COVID-19.

Homeland Security Investigations Buffalo (HSI) says officers from U.S. Customs and Border Protection and the Niagara County Sheriff's Department, working with the U.S. Attorney's Office for the Western District of NY seized more than 22,000 non-FDA approved KN-95 masks and 1,000 non-FDA COVID-19 test kits on Friday. 

The masks and kits were seized from Sunbeam Labs in Lockport, NY.

HSI says the masks were mislabeled, seized for wire fraud, and were in violation of the Federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act. 

The bust comes as part of the department's initiative to investigate fraudulent merchandise related to the pandemic.

https://www.whec.com/coronavirus/homeland-security-investigations-buffalo-seizes-unauthorized-test-kits-face-masks/5738677/?cat=565

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Like (+1) 2

The link is a NY Times article by Trip Gabriel describing how some republican members of the PA. State House hid the fact that a republican member tested positive without telling the democratic members that they could have been exposed to the virus. While they privately got tested and quarantined themselves the democratic members went about their business and lives not knowing that they could have been exposed. It's a hideous exhibition of hypocrisy and deceit for the purpose of following a political and ideological agenda. 

If you click on the  8 minute youtube clip you can view the unadulterated anger of Brian Sims, a democratic house member.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/28/us/politics/andrew-lewis-brian-sims-pa-house-coronavirus.html?action=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

Anyone heard any info (or have any thoughts) on what action will be taken by the NFL the first time a player tests positive for covid?

Knowing that one are more players are likely to contract the virus, I’m really hoping the league doesn’t shut down like the NBA did...Covid is going to be around for a while, and if the league closes down every time someone tests positive, we could be without sports for years...

But it’s difficult to see how the league would have a separate standard than the rest of society, when it comes to contact tracers and quarantines...so fingers crossed...

Thoughts?

It’s still not 100% for sure that Erie County will move into phase two on Tuesday. It looks like we likely will, but there will be an will be announced on Monday confirming if we are or not.

You can see the guidelines each business needs to follow in the 1st tweet.

• Simon unpinned this topic