(OT) My dog

I have a black lab (Baxter) and it seems he's been scratching a lot lately....I use Advantix for fleas (never had any) but his skin is real dry...He's starting to get dandruff......any suggestions???? I was told to put an egg in his food....does that sound right???

Any help is appreciated.....

I tried switching foods but that has not changed anything.

My sister's dog had similar problems (yellow lab) and they started giving her fish oil pills. Cleared it right up.

I have a black lab (Baxter) and it seems he's been scratching a lot lately....I use Advantix for fleas (never had any) but his skin is real dry...He's starting to get dandruff......any suggestions????  I was told to put an egg in his food....does that sound right???

306803[/snapback]

My sister's dog had similar problems (yellow lab) and they started giving her fish oil pills. Cleared it right up.

306809[/snapback]

I failed to mention that I tried that also....only for a week though...maybe I should keep on that.....

Haven't had a dog in a long while. He was a Bernese Mountain Dog and would get a similar condition. We got a sulphurie stinky shampoo that helped. I think we did the fish oil thing too. IIRC there were times when his breath smelled like a tuna factory.

If you don't want to take him/her to the vet try a bottle of Selsun Blue or similar dandruff shampoo. Do you ever bathe you dog? If you don't, you're in for a real treat, though yours is a Black Lab and they like water. Berners don't unless it's solid flakes of water - if you get my drift, so-to-speak. :D

If you don't want to take him/her to the vet try a bottle of Selsun Blue or similar dandruff shampoo.

306813[/snapback]

Using human shampoo products on your dog's skin is a very bad idea. Talk to your vet and stop experimenting on your dog.

RTB

My old lady who works at a vet's office, pretty much says the same thing. Her recommendation was to put a tablespoon of vegatable oil on the dog food (teaspoon if he isn't full grown). She also said to make sure you are using a high quality dog food.

Also, regarding shampoo, she recommends using aloe and oatmeal shampoo, which most vets sell.

Using human shampoo products on your dog's skin is a very bad idea. Talk to your vet and stop experimenting on your dog.

RTB

306814[/snapback]

As a rule I agree - take the pet with its issues to the vet. That's what I did. There could be deeper problems brewing that the healthcare professional is best to advise on.

But on the other hand, regarding the OTC stuff - it only gets to the counter after years of animal studies are complete. :D

I have a black lab (Baxter) and it seems he's been scratching a lot lately....I use Advantix for fleas (never had any) but his skin is real dry...He's starting to get dandruff......any suggestions???? I was told to put an egg in his food....does that sound right???

Talk To the Vet - Just like humans - dogs also suffer allergies and excessive scratching is one symptom

WHATEVER YOU DO, do not follow the previous Selson Blue or fish oil posts. Horrible for a dog.

Other posts are right on though: use oatmeal or medicated tar shampoos from your vet. They'll cost a bit more but will work. Absolutely avoid any human grooming products on your pet.

For the food try changing your dog's diet to a lamb and rice formula or something rich and protiens and vitamins. Eukenuba or Science Diet are good but there are other foods that have even less preservatives and chemicals than these two.

Hope this helps and good luck!

I have a black lab (Baxter) and it seems he's been scratching a lot lately....I use Advantix for fleas (never had any) but his skin is real dry...He's starting to get dandruff......any suggestions????  I was told to put an egg in his food....does that sound right???

306803[/snapback]

I just got back from the vet for the exact same problem. They said that this is the time of year they usually see plenty of dogs start excessive scratching. In my dogs case he developed a hot spot on his lower back so it was becoming a major concern. The vet said the itching was most likely a result of allergies. While his test for fleas came up negative the vet said the most likely cause of his problem was being allergic to flea saliva.

I would see a vet, given his medication they should be able to rule out flea saliva and go from their. Perhaps it’s dietary? Bottom-line is it’s probably allergy related and the vet should be able to recommend shampoos, medicine, or food that could help the situation.

WHATEVER YOU DO, do not follow the previous Selson Blue or fish oil posts. Horrible for a dog.

Other posts are right on though: use oatmeal or medicated tar shampoos from your vet. They'll cost a bit more but will work. Absolutely avoid any human grooming products on your pet.

For the food try changing your dog's diet to a lamb and rice formula or something rich and protiens and vitamins. Eukenuba or Science Diet are good but there are other foods that have even less preservatives and chemicals than these two.

Hope this helps and good luck!

306913[/snapback]

Wrong, I have had 3 vets look at my dog 1 from a different office and all recommended fish oil. 2x per day, it has really helped out. I have also had a friend K-9 cop and 2 real good trainers who recommened it first. Checked with the vets before doing so.

We have also switched to Blue Max food.

Also do use the dog shampoo.

BTW I have a black field lab.

I'll add my concurrence to the fish oil suggestion - it really does work, and it's all natural and not the least bit harmful to the dog (but smelly). We got our pup from the pound, and her skin was in horrible shape. A few weeks of some good food, constant attention, dandruff shampoo baths, and fish oil did the trick - now her coat is in beautiful condition.

RTB

306814[/snapback]

Oh come on! If these products don't "hurt" mice, then what can it do to a full grown dog?

:angry:

306803[/snapback]

Taking him to a vet is the best advice I've read so far.