Are there any high risk players worth a gamble?

HOUSE

8 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

I could see a deal similar to Kroft’s offered to him. Maybe a little more guaranteed and higher Avg yearly salary. 

well, consider he had 18 yards a catch last year, and consider who was throwing to him with Winston.  I’ve watched him since UCF as they are on all the time down here.  I would take a chance him for the right price.  So many people bring up we need a relatively fast tall WR who can jump up and catch the contested ball.  Well he can do that, and Allen would love throwing to him.  If they take him you might as well say goodbye to McKenzie and Foster, because there is no way we also don’t take one in the draft.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Beane signed an injured PED busted Murphy. Kroft had injury history and so did Morse.  Spencer Long as well. There is nothing in Beane history to say he would avoid signing Green if he is cleared to play.

I would not call Murphy, Kroft, Morse or Long  high risk.  Other than Morse, the other three were not huge dollar signings and therefore not much risk involved.  Guys like AJ Green aren't going to sign low cost contracts because some desperate GM will pay them.

10 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

They signed some injury risk players to decent money such as Trent Murphy and Kroft.

Not for big money.  Risk was fairly low.

11 hours ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

2 parts 

When has the last High Risk player turned out well?

What is the percentage of High Risk players that actually turn out well?

Cogs come to mind. Man could that line use a player of his caliber.

WRT DGB, he's got baggage and he can't catch a cold. His NFL career is over.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

They're apparently looking at signing Greg Olsen, who has an injury history perhaps not too dissimilar to Green?

Disagree about the similarity.

Missed games - in chronological order - in the last four years:

Greg Olsen: 0, 9, 7, 2, totaling 18, including two last season

AJ Green: 6, 0, 7, 16, totaling 29, including all of last season

18 hours ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

2 parts 

When has the last High Risk player turned out well?

What is the percentage of High Risk players that actually turn out well?

Drew Brees (shoulder), Peyton Manning (neck), Vick in Philly (something about dogs), Moss in New England (not a self motivator), Richie here (bullying concerns turning into mental concerns).

I suspect there's a much higher bust rate though.

Edited by Doc Brown