AFC East Rookie Grades, from Gennaro Filice

MAJBobby

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001101269/article/afc-east-rookie-grades-class-gives-bills-a-boost-pats-swing-and-miss?campaign=Twitter_atn

Bills get a B, Pats D+

Falling into the Bills' lap at No. 9 overall, Oliver was widely regarded on draft night as the steal of the first round. And in the season-opening win over the Jets, he provided the type of interior disruption that validated the hype, recording five pressures and a QB hit. But he struggled over the next couple months and lost his starting job at midseason. To his credit, Oliver offered his most consistent play as a rotational piece in the second half of the season -- racking up four sacks during one three-game stretch -- and it's not hard to imagine a breakthrough Year 2. Thus far, Singletary has actually proven to be the biggest steal of Buffalo's rookie class. After dealing with a hamstring injury in September and splitting carries with the ageless Frank Gore in the first half of the season, the elusive rookie really came on down the stretch, eclipsing 600 yards rushing in his final eight regular-season games. Ford started 15 games, spending the vast majority of his time at right tackle, but the results were underwhelming, rekindling the question that plagued him prior to the 2019 draft: Would he be better served playing guard? Knox wasn't the steadiest producer over the course of the season -- which is nothing to be alarmed about, as tight end is one of the NFL's slowest-developing positions -- but he flashed enticing playmaking ability, most notably on a beastly 49-yard catch-and-run against the Bengals at a key point in the Week 3 win.

• Like (+1) 3

22 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Excellent write up,  authoer knows the Bills and I  agree with it all with one exception, Frank Gore is not ageless.  Author was generous stating "Knox wasn't the steadiest"  but it is also accurate that he had flashes of enticing playmaking.

Knox is a third round draft pick. 

If I am grading the picks after one year (based on impact in year one and long term potential) 

Ed Oliver- A: Rather obvious pick as he fell right into the teams lap and while I felt like Ed Oliver struggled at times in the middle of the season he finished the season strong. Really think he will ascend into a pro-bowl player in years 2 and be a possible All-Pro going forward. 

Cody Ford- B minus: Ford stepped in and played very uneven. He was outright bad at times but also played well at times, I think he finished the season somewhat strong. I think at worst he is able to kick into guard and be a borderline pro-bowl player or stay at tackle and develop into a solid player. I don’t think this pick will be looked at as a homerun but I think it will be a productive pick. 

Devin Singletary- A plus: Singletary far exceeded his expectations in year one, taking over the starting role and proving he can be a two down back and a threat in the receiving game. He reminds me of a very poor man’s Lev Bell (not as big or dynamic as a receiver as Bell but a similar type of player.) I can easily see Singletary handling the primary RB position for years to come at a pro-bowl level. Great value in round 3. 

Dawson Knox- B plus: Knox showed flashes of brilliance and looks the part of a tight end as an athlete. But he also showed signs of being very raw and in need of significant development. I think by year 3 or 4 he can be a top 10 player at his position. However for a 3rdround pick that kind of development timeline is hard to swallow and it is possible he never develops the full skillset needed to be more than a role player. Still to get a possible starter with great potential late in round 3 is a positive pick. 

Late round picks- B: The late round picks are mostly unproven players who were either on IR or riding the bench. But I think it is possible Joseph takes over the LB position in 2020 and the two Johnson’s could develop into effective role players or more. Not much if any impact in year one but some potential to help the roster in the next 2-3 seasons. 

Overall I would give the draft an A minus. It is a draft class that could produce up to 5 starters (Oliver, Ford, Singletary, Knox and one of the late round picks) which would be an epic draft. But even on the low end I think the draft will at least produce 2 high end pro-bowl caliber starters and is more likely to produce 3 starters with an outside chance at 4. But overall a positive draft hopefully with one more good draft this team will have a fully laid foundation to contend. 

53 minutes ago, ganesh said:

Knox is a third round draft pick. 

A late third round pick none the less. 

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001101269/article/afc-east-rookie-grades-class-gives-bills-a-boost-pats-swing-and-miss?campaign=Twitter_atn

Bills get a B, Pats D+

Falling into the Bills' lap at No. 9 overall, Oliver was widely regarded on draft night as the steal of the first round. And in the season-opening win over the Jets, he provided the type of interior disruption that validated the hype, recording five pressures and a QB hit. But he struggled over the next couple months and lost his starting job at midseason. To his credit, Oliver offered his most consistent play as a rotational piece in the second half of the season -- racking up four sacks during one three-game stretch -- and it's not hard to imagine a breakthrough Year 2. Thus far, Singletary has actually proven to be the biggest steal of Buffalo's rookie class. After dealing with a hamstring injury in September and splitting carries with the ageless Frank Gore in the first half of the season, the elusive rookie really came on down the stretch, eclipsing 600 yards rushing in his final eight regular-season games. Ford started 15 games, spending the vast majority of his time at right tackle, but the results were underwhelming, rekindling the question that plagued him prior to the 2019 draft: Would he be better served playing guard? Knox wasn't the steadiest producer over the course of the season -- which is nothing to be alarmed about, as tight end is one of the NFL's slowest-developing positions -- but he flashed enticing playmaking ability, most notably on a beastly 49-yard catch-and-run against the Bengals at a key point in the Week 3 win.

He did watch Gore run this year right? I wouldn’t say he was ageless, I would call him aged with slight goal line benefits. 

Also, B- for dolphins and a D for the Jets.

Happy to finally see that the Patriots don't get an automatic A anymore for things like this.

Thought their write-up on Combine and Free Agency was spot on as well.

Edited by MJS