Sean McDermott is a finalist for NFL Coach of the Year, will attend NFL Honors Ceremony in Miami the night before the Super Bowl

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

If I had a vote, I'd go with Harbaugh.

McDermott has (in my opinion) done a very good job with his "process," and we started to see the fruits of it this past season.

However ... a 10-win season with that schedules is on the unimpressive side.  The team was inconsistent for much of the season.

I think he deserves consideration and it's right that he's a finalist.  I'm still glad that he's the coach.

But Harbaugh simply did a better job.  He recognized what he had (and didn't have) in Lamar Jackson and he built a team and an offensive identity around Jackson's skillset.  Ego went out the door.  They were the best team in the regular season and that is primarily because Harbaugh didn't try to make Jackson something that he isn't.  

I agree mcdermott probably shouldn’t win. But I think I’d go shanny. Splitting hairs though. 

.... also we more likely than not have 11 wins if our starters played week 17. That “hot” jets team managed to scrape out a 13-6 win over our table scraps 

1 minute ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I agree mcdermott probably shouldn’t win. But I think I’d go shanny. Splitting hairs though. 

.... also we more likely than not have 11 wins if our starters played week 17. That “hot” jets team managed to scrape out a 13-6 win over our table scraps 

In their 3 year tenure as head coach since 2017

Which one achieved more overall success? 

McDermott Regular season: 25–23 (.521)

Shanahan   Regular season: 23–25 (.479)

Which one has done more with less?

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Yeah, week 17 was a throwaway game.  I think if we'd beaten NE (once) and BAL, I'd have been behind McD to win 100%.  And that was close to happening (and should have).

I also think Shanny is very deserving.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Yeah, week 17 was a throwaway game.  I think if we'd beaten NE (once) and BAL, I'd have been behind McD to win 100%.  And that was close to happening (and should have).

I also think Shanny is very deserving.

Maybe I should revise 25–23 to 25–23* 

Resting starters meaningless game

49 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

It’s not a 3 year award so I don’t really know how to respond to this in a “coach of the year” discussion. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

It’s not a 3 year award so I don’t really know how to respond to this in a “coach of the year” discussion. 

Of course it isn't.  It was just a reference point ... both have had 3 years of experience

Which coach, this season, achieved more with less?

On 1/31/2020 at 8:09 AM, SlimShady'sGhost said:

It is not a career award but a season award.

I think Shanahan will get award because QB was out most of last year meaning his team showed most "improvement".

That means Pittsburgh's coach will probably win next year.

48 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

It is not a career award but a season award.

I think Shanahan will get award because QB was out most of last year meaning his team showed most "improvement".

That means Pittsburgh's coach will probably win next year.

Shanahan would deserve it if he won just simply based on the team’s achievement this year. I agree that the whole “improvement” thing over last year with the Niners is overblown given the reason they went 4-12 is because the QB was out all year. 

On 1/31/2020 at 1:27 PM, SlimShady'sGhost said:

Of course it isn't.  It was just a reference point ... both have had 3 years of experience

Which coach, this season, achieved more with less?

It’s interesting...might have missed some but McDermott had SIX 1st Round Picks on his Defense this season.  That might be described as a embarrassment of riches.  And counting Allen that’s SEVEN 1st Round picks.

now someone else might have to add up the blue chip talent Shanahan had to work with (I think 3 offensive lineman are 1st rounders).  Not sure on defense.

but based on having that level of talent I’d say it might be pretty close if not a PUSH.