The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

10 minutes ago, BillsFanNC said:

:lol:

@redtail hawk Quack MD

It's SCIENCE.  rarely settled but still extremely useful and the best we got

Except when we have a novel coronavirus pandemic. Then the science is settled in a few weeks.

Rarely settled.  I stand by that quote.  I'm not the one on this board rthat pushed unproven treatments based on limited, poorly done studies.  In fact, I said just the opposite...

How about those enlisted to give diplomas and publish papers from crappy institutions like Harvard,  Stanford and Oxford @redtail hawk?

Were you ok with this group being silenced?

Seems like they had a very well reasoned and scientifically sound way to approach the pandemic from a public health perspective. 

Do you have a true unquenchable thirst for information and knowledge....or not really?

https://gbdeclaration.org

The Great Barrington Declaration – As infectious disease epidemiologists and public health scientists we have grave concerns about the damaging physical and mental health impacts of the prevailing COVID-19 policies, and recommend an approach we call Focused Protection. 

Coming from both the left and right, and around the world, we have devoted our careers to protecting people. Current lockdown policies are producing devastating effects on short and long-term public health. The results (to name a few) include lower childhood vaccination rates, worsening cardiovascular disease outcomes, fewer cancer screenings and deteriorating mental health – leading to greater excess mortality in years to come, with the working class and younger members of society carrying the heaviest burden. Keeping students out of school is a grave injustice. 

Keeping these measures in place until a vaccine is available will cause irreparable damage, with the underprivileged disproportionately harmed.

Fortunately, our understanding of the virus is growing. We know that vulnerability to death from COVID-19 is more than a thousand-fold higher in the old and infirm than the young. Indeed, for children, COVID-19 is less dangerous than many other harms, including influenza. 

As immunity builds in the population, the risk of infection to all – including the vulnerable – falls. We know that all populations will eventually reach herd immunity – i.e.  the point at which the rate of new infections is stable – and that this can be assisted by (but is not dependent upon) a vaccine. Our goal should therefore be to minimize mortality and social harm until we reach herd immunity. 

The most compassionate approach that balances the risks and benefits of reaching herd immunity, is to allow those who are at minimal risk of death to live their lives normally to build up immunity to the virus through natural infection, while better protecting those who are at highest risk. We call this Focused Protection. 

Adopting measures to protect the vulnerable should be the central aim of public health responses to COVID-19. By way of example, nursing homes should use staff with acquired immunity and perform frequent testing of other staff and all visitors. Staff rotation should be minimized. Retired people living at home should have groceries and other essentials delivered to their home. When possible, they should meet family members outside rather than inside. A comprehensive and detailed list of measures, including approaches to multi-generational households, can be implemented, and is well within the scope and capability of public health professionals. 

Those who are not vulnerable should immediately be allowed to resume life as normal. Simple hygiene measures, such as hand washing and staying home when sick should be practiced by everyone to reduce the herd immunity threshold. Schools and universities should be open for in-person teaching. Extracurricular activities, such as sports, should be resumed. Young low-risk adults should work normally, rather than from home. Restaurants and other businesses should open. Arts, music, sport and other cultural activities should resume. People who are more at risk may participate if they wish, while society as a whole enjoys the protection conferred upon the vulnerable by those who have built up herd immunity.

• Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, BillsFanNC said:

Do you have a true unquenchable thirst for information and knowledge....or not really?

We, in the collective sense of scientists and clinicians, read it and overwhelmingly rejected it, noting it was funded by a libertarian extremist think tank and the science was at best, dubious

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Barrington_Declaration

The declaration was sponsored by the American Institute for Economic Research (AIER), a libertarian free market think tank based in Great Barrington, Massachusetts.[39][40] AIER has published controversial studies with dubious conclusions, such as downplaying the risks of climate change,[15][41] and arguing that sweatshops are beneficial to their workers.[42][43] Byline Times journalist Nafeez Ahmed has described the AIER as an "institution embedded in a Koch-funded network that denies climate science while investing in polluting fossil fuel industries".[15]

Signatories

While the authors' website claims that over 14,000 scientists, 40,000 medical practitioners, and more than 800,000 members of the public signed the declaration,[44][45] this list—which anyone could sign online and which required merely clicking a checkbox to claim the status of "scientist"—contains some evidently-fake names, including: "Mr Banana Rama", "Harold Shipman", and "Prof Cominic Dummings".[46][47][48] More than 100 psychotherapists, numerous homeopaths, physiotherapists, massage therapists, and other non-relevant people were found to be signatories, including a performer of Khoomei—a Mongolian style of overtone singing—described as a "therapeutic sound practitioner".[47] An article in The Independent reported that the false signatures put claims about the breadth of support in doubt.[48] Bhattacharya responded by saying that the authors "did not have the resources to audit each signature," and that people had "abused our trust" by adding fake names.[48]

Edited by redtail hawk

14 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

link(s)?  I've not seen this definitively stated by anyone but the fools here.

Almost nothing about Covid was settled science when it was raging.  And much still isn't.

Google “ breakthrough infection” and educate yourself. Or continue your science denying ways. 

Just now, redtail hawk said:

breakthrough infection is not equal to "the vaccine neither prevents infection nor transmission".  Not even remotely.  Try harder.  This is embarrassing.

You have convinced me. The vaccine stops covid dead in its tracks. Those that have partaken cannot get infected nor transmit. That makes you, me, and Rachel Maddow as the three people in the world that believe it. 

• Haha (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

breakthrough infection is not equal to "the vaccine neither prevents infection nor transmission".  Not even remotely.  Try harder.  This is embarrassing.

It must’ve “broken through” an awful lot then because everyone in my family who got it that last Christmas time had been both vaccinated and boosted.  But apparently not according to the internet. 

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

It must’ve “broken through” an awful lot then because everyone in my family who got it that last Christmas time had been both vaccinated and boosted.  But apparently not according to the internet. 

Dude, that could happen to 1000's of families and not disrupt the overwhelming population data to the contrary

There is no definitive data that people still get infected and transmit the virus after vaccination. Only magas believe that

-redhawk

1000’s of families can pass the infection around after being vaccinated. Means nothing. 

-redhawk an hour later

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JDHillFan said:

There is no definitive data that people still get infected and transmit the virus after vaccination. Only magas believe that

-redhawk

1000’s of families can pass the infection around after being vaccinated. Means nothing. 

-redhawk an hour later

you wanna date my first quote.  at the time there wasn't.  Science is not static...

2 hours ago, redtail hawk said:
2 hours ago, JDHillFan said:

The vaccine neither prevents infection nor transmission. The science is settled. 

"link(s)?  I've not seen this definitively stated by anyone but the fools here.

Almost nothing about Covid was settled science when it was raging.  And much still isn't."

this is what you quoted me as saying 2 hours ago:  There is no definitive data that people still get infected and transmit the virus after vaccination.

See the difference?

You must resort to intellectual dishonesty to compete....

2 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

this is what you quoted me as saying 2 hours ago:  There is no definitive data that people still get infected and transmit the virus after vaccination.

See the difference?

You must resort to intellectual dishonesty to compete....

It’s not intellectual dishonesty. It’s paraphrasing in a sarcastic way to shine a light on the ridiculous amount of flip flopping you are doing here. One minute you play dumb and the next you pretend it didn’t happen. As demonstrated last week with your epic own goal on climate charts, you don’t pay attention to detail even when it’s your own words. 

• Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1