The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

That IFR estimate is not the US number. Here's the footnote in full. Just FYI--still interesting. 

† These estimates are based on age-specific estimates of infection fatality ratios from Hauser, A., Counotte, M.J., Margossian, C.C., Konstantinoudis, G., Low, N., Althaus, C.L. and Riou, J., 2020. Estimation of SARS-CoV-2 mortality during the early stages of an epidemic: a modeling study in Hubei, China, and six regions in Europe. PLoS medicine17(7), p.e1003189. Hauser et al. produced estimates of IFR for 10-year age bands from 0 to 80+ year old for 6 regions in Europe. Estimates exclude infection fatality ratios from Hubei, China, because we assumed infection and case ascertainment from the 6 European regions are more likely to reflect ascertainment in the U.S. To obtain the best estimate values, the point estimates of IFR by age were averaged to broader age groups for each of the 6 European regions using weights based on the age distribution of reported cases from COVID-19 Case Surveillance Public Use Data (https://data.cdc.gov/Case-Surveillance/COVID-19-Case-Surveillance-Public-Use-Data/vbim-akqf). The estimates for persons ≥70 years old presented here do not include persons  ≥80 years old as IFR estimates from Hauser et al., assumed that 100% of infections among persons ≥80 years old were reported. The consolidated age estimates were then averaged across the 6 European regions. The lower bound estimate is the lowest, non-zero point estimate across the six regions, while the upper bound is the highest point estimate across the six regions.

Edited by shoshin

20 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

A millennial just asked at the Company meeting what we planned to do to help employees "acclimate" to being back in the office in 2021.   Apparently we need to create an employee training session for standing 6 feet apart.

You should see the procedure we have to follow at my office lol

5 minutes ago, meazza said:

You should see the procedure we have to follow at my office lol

The announced that we can return to work in October, but I can't use my office.  What's the point?

5 hours ago, Tiberius said:

This is a deadly thing, a real killer, a plague 

—Trump 

In public: It will just disappear by April

He knew and lied 

So it can't be both?  A killer AND gone by April? 

Of course it can.  

Next!  

52 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

A millennial just asked at the Company meeting what we planned to do to help employees "acclimate" to being back in the office in 2021.   Apparently we need to create an employee training session for standing 6 feet apart.

We've been back for three months now.  We figured it out.  Masks?  Check!  Work stations six feet apart?  Check!  Temperature checks? Check!  Daily questionnaires?  Check!  Deaths?  None yet but there is this one guy that's really getting on my nerves.............

Edited by Chef Jim

33 minutes ago, GG said:

The announced that we can return to work in October, but I can't use my office.  What's the point?

One of the only bright spots for me as a new parent in this period is getting to work from home. Wake up 2 minutes before a zoom call after pulling an all nighter.  

On 9/21/2020 at 4:08 PM, Magox said:

Edition #137 in Sweden got it right

Meanwhile, Europe is going through their second wave and are considering new lock downs.

This is now a settled matter, for those that doubted Sweden's approach, just come out now and say you got it wrong.

Funny timing. Sweden considering lockdowns too

Sweden has lots of Covid rules in place and a citizen base that complies with the guidance suggested by their CDC-equivalent. They are hardly "wide open," but they are more open than other places. 

Edited by shoshin

4 minutes ago, shoshin said:

Sweden has lots of Covid rules in place and a citizen base that complies with the guidance suggested by their CDC-equivalent. They are hardly "wide open," but they are more open than other places. 

That's not what the headline & story say.  Lockdowns are not being considered.

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, shoshin said:

sounds like Sweden has serious problem

27 people in hospitals for the whole country

2 in ICU

lock it down!