The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

6 hours ago, GG said:

Somehow I have a feeling the media may revisit the Hasids of Williamsburg cases, after a 6 month absence of stories.   Wonder why?

Israel is an outlier for me.  I fully expected them to have gotten through this unscathed but my nephew who works at a hospital in Tel Aviv tells me the Covid unit is swamped and they got hit hard back in March. 

8 hours ago, Tiberius said:

60% say they won’t take first generation vaccine. Don’t trust Trump 

8 hours ago, B-Man said:

Any vaccine that is released to the general public, will be one tested and approved by the FDA.

If you choose not to take it because of your President Trump distrust,

you expose yourself, not just to the virus, but as a fool also.

I won't get the vaccination, but it's not Trump that I distrust, it's the industry feeding him the info...

Also you are not a fool, it is your choice to do what you want when it comes to your health, in fact be my guest, have all my doses B-Man, you'll need more than one if you pay attention and take what the Pharm companies/Dr's say as gospel...

Edited by Sherlock Holmes

5 hours ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

I won't get the vaccination, but it's not Trump that I distrust, it's the industry feeding him the info...

Also you are not a fool, it is your choice to do what you want when it comes to your health, in fact be my guest, have all my doses B-Man, you'll need more than one if you pay attention and take what the Pharm companies/Dr's say as gospel...

Not anymore, it's vaccine or be shut out of everything, you'll see.

I listened to a radio interview with one of the top guys at HHS last week. It was fascinating. Did you know they already have about 200 million doses of the vaccines produced, stockpiled, and ready for deployment? They’re waiting for FDA approval on the trials. The federal government authorized the production out ahead of approval in order to speed up deployment. They’ll need about 700 million doses since some of the product is a booster shot and a second dose. They’ll have that by February. And....the strategy is to give it to the vulnerable population first, before you’ll ever need to stand in a line. 

15 hours ago, Tiberius said:

60% say they won’t take first generation vaccine. Don’t trust Trump 

or maybe, a vaccine is not needed for a sickness where 99.5% recover

8 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I listened to a radio interview with one of the top guys at HHS last week. It was fascinating. Did you know they already have about 200 million doses of the vaccines produced, stockpiled, and ready for deployment? They’re waiting for FDA approval on the trials. The federal government authorized the production out ahead of approval in order to speed up deployment. They’ll need about 700 million doses since some of the product is a booster shot and a second dose. They’ll have that by February. And....the strategy is to give it to the vulnerable population first, before you’ll ever need to stand in a line. 

they developed the vaccine at the same time they developed the virus

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, spartacus said:

or maybe, a vaccine is not needed for a sickness where 99.5% recover

they developed the vaccine at the same time they developed the virus

In what world do you develop a vaccine for a novel coronavirus in 4 months?

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, GG said:

Trump world.

From what I've hear the development is not the lengthy part, setting up distribution is. In this case they have been doing them in tandem to streamline and shorten the time.

Edited by Gary M

29 minutes ago, GG said:

It’s called SCIENCE!! There are actually six companies working on vaccines. They may ultimately roll out all six, or the FDA may only approve two or three of them. Trump isn’t making the vaccine, people! It’s being made by SCIENTISTS! Geez the stupidity is growing daily around here. I’m glad we’re not trying to get to the moon. Even JFK would’ve rolled his eyes at the Left Wing Mob.

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

It’s called SCIENCE!! There are actually six companies working on vaccines. They may ultimately roll out all six, or the FDA may only approve two or three of them. Trump isn’t making the vaccine, people! It’s being made by SCIENTISTS! Geez the stupidity is growing daily around here. I’m glad we’re not trying to get to the moon. Even JFK would’ve rolled his eyes at the Left Wing Mob.

SCIENCE doesn't bend time (unless you are Greggy)

Enlighten me how you go from starting the work on a vaccine for a novel coronavirus in March to having 200 million doses stockpiled in a warehouse in September?

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Good, it's settled then. You first...

2 minutes ago, GG said:

Enlighten me how you go from starting the work on a vaccine for a novel coronavirus in March to having 200 million doses stockpiled in a warehouse in September?

Are you in the manufacturing business? Don’t be an idiot! We’ve made millions and millions of masks. We’ve made a hundred million test kits. I’m quoting facts. You’re just invoking conspiracy theories. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, GG said:

Cutting back regulatory red tape. Typically they do the all the upfront science before committing to manufacturing,  here they did the development and manufacturing in parallel. The actual science required to drop in a vaccine target and develop a working vaccine isn't the rate limiting step, especially when its an all hands on deck situation, its the regulatory bureaucracy red tape that is. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, BillsFanNC said:

Cutting back regulatory red tape. Typically they do the all the upfront science before committing to manufacturing,  here they did the development and manufacturing in parallel. The actual science required to drop in a vaccine target and develop a working vaccine isn't the rate limiting step, especially when its an all hands on deck situation, its the regulatory bureaucracy red tape that is. 

Correct! The HHS official said that they directed them to start production. If the vaccine doesn’t get FDA approval, they’ll throw out the stockpile. The investment wasn’t that significant in the bigger picture.

1 minute ago, Reality Check said:

That's the spirit.

Once again, we try to have an actual conversation about an interesting element of the pandemic story....and it becomes littered with childish jabs and nonsense 

2 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Correct! The HHS official said that they directed them to start production. If the vaccine doesn’t get FDA approval, they’ll throw out the stockpile. The investment wasn’t that significant in the bigger picture.

Once again, we try to have an actual conversation about an interesting element of the pandemic story....and it becomes littered with childish jabs and nonsense 

Sorry Deek, but you overestimate the quality of said "conversation" to begin with. Anyone who wants to take the shot when it becomes available should do so. I will wait and watch while this global social experiment plays out to its conclusion.