Are the Bills this year's unofficial "team nobody wants to face" in the playoffs?

eball

Just now, SlimShady'sGhost said:

Jesus.  You can’t count Sunday’s game against the NYETS because they rested every starter they could.   

And even then the game was close.  

not to mention that one of the losses was to the best team in football.  you knew there was going to be that guy, and there he is.

• Like (+1) 1

When the Bills were on the schedule to play Dallas I dont think a single pundit picked them to win and they proceeded to do exactly that. If anything it seems the team thrives on having that under the radar underdog status attached to them. The defense receives its accolades yes and rightfully so but Josh Allen doubters exist on a grand scale even amongst our own fanbase as well as consensus the team isn't being quite up to snuff due to wins against teams with losing records. Well guess what a team with a losing record beat the Pats yesterday in their own crib there is that..... SO in closing I  would almost prefer that the Texans assume we are soft then we go down there and smack em in the mouth. That to me would be very satisfying. Afterwards the team will have earned a more prolific level or respect but not before imo.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

Teams aren't concerned with the Bills, not their offense at least.  Buffalo was 1-4 against playoff teams, with the lone victory coming against a Titans team that wasn't yet QB'd by Tannehill.  Besides, the Bills scored all of 72 points in those 5 games against playoff teams and I can't see them suddenly improving in the post-season.

McD's team is defense first and, as such, as a small margin of error.  I can't see them really scaring anyone with that offense as a result.

Right, and how many points did those teams score against Buffalo? Their only double-digit loss of the season was to Philly over two months ago. 

In the playoffs every team has a small margin for error. Teams facing Buffalo have to account for the defense and even if you aren’t impressed by the offensive weapons teams have to prepare for Allen because of his ability to make things happen out of the pocket. You really think teams aren’t worried about Singletary, Brown, or Knox? Guess again. 

The premise of this thread presumes the top 2 seeds in each conference are the favorites. I’m talking about the lower seeds who are most difficult to prep for, and I think the Bills fit that category.

20 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

Jesus.  You can’t count Sunday’s game against the NYETS because they rested every starter they could.   

And even then the game was close.  

But Sunday's game did count and 2019 will forever be in the book as a 10-6 season. I also disagree with the decision to "rest" the starters. That's a cautious, conservative, "play not to lose" mentality. 

30 minutes ago, teef said:

not to mention that one of the losses was to the best team in football.  you knew there was going to be that guy, and there he is.

You missed the larger point, that there is little reason to think the Bills are the team nobody wants to play. 

9 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Their offensive strategy hopefully changes as they enter the playoffs.

I can't stomach them holding a slim lead and running Gore or Singletary into a wall while trying to milk the clock with plenty of time left in the game. 

We're going to learn plenty about McD and whether he opens it up or tries to batten down the hatches.  It's probably somewhere in-between, although how that works in the playoffs remains to be seen.

Houston is definitely beatable, although it's going to come down to how Buffalo's offense can score on the less than reliable Texans defense.  

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, eball said:

Right, and how many points did those teams score against Buffalo? Their only double-digit loss of the season was to Philly over two months ago. 

In the playoffs every team has a small margin for error. Teams facing Buffalo have to account for the defense and even if you aren’t impressed by the offensive weapons teams have to prepare for Allen because of his ability to make things happen out of the pocket. You really think teams aren’t worried about Singletary, Brown, or Knox? Guess again. 

The premise of this thread presumes the top 2 seeds in each conference are the favorites. I’m talking about the lower seeds who are most difficult to prep for, and I think the Bills fit that category.

I would have said that 3-4 weeks ago, but the offense has become so pop-gun level that I just don't see it now. They haven't scored 20 points since November. 

Edited by dave mcbride

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

I would have said that 3-4 weeks ago, but the offense has become so pop-gun level that I just don't see it now. They haven't scored 20 points since November. 

Agreed. Ironically, that's when they started their most difficult of the season.

McD said in the off-season they need to score 21 points per to have a chance at winning games.  That happened only 6 times this season, and only once against a team that finished .500 or better (Dallas).  

Scoring 17, 17, and 17 against Baltimore, Pittsburgh, and New England is not the way to head into the playoffs. 

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

Fair point, but we're really just talking about three games against three top five defenses (BAL, PIT, NE).  They lit Dallas up on Thanksgiving.

46 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I don't think there is an offensive skill player on the roster that defenses are really threatened by. The closest would be John Brown.

This is just patently not true.  Singletary is a threat.  You don't have to trust me, ask somebody like Charlie Weis or Pat Kirwan.

Knox is also a threat, and John Brown isn't "close" to being a threat, he is one.

But it really doesn't matter and I don't need to convince you.  We'll all see for ourselves beginning this weekend.

3 minutes ago, eball said:

This is just patently not true.  Singletary is a threat.  You don't have to trust me, ask somebody like Charlie Weis or Pat Kirwan.

Knox is also a threat, and John Brown isn't "close" to being a threat, he is one.

But it really doesn't matter and I don't need to convince you.  We'll all see for ourselves beginning this weekend.

Brown is a threat for sure.

Singletary might be. (Charlie Weiss??).

Knox is a threat to Josh's completion %.  He's not in the top 100 in targets (50 all year), yet he is tied for 4th in drops (he has dropped 12% of the passes thrown to him).