Houston Tailgate Official Info

14 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Is it okay if I come and park early Saturday and then come back a few hours later? I’d like to set up at 8 but I don’t really want to be out there until 11 or so. 

The only issue you may face is getting charged entry again at the walk in price of $10.  Not sure how they track who re-entry. I was thinking of doing the same thing.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, eball said:

I was wondering whether the roof at the stadium will be open Saturday (forecast is 68 degrees and sunny) and came across an interesting tidbit -- the roof at NRG has not been open for a Texans game in more than FIVE years.  A local news station "investigated" and seemed to arrive at a conclusion that the team believes a closed roof contributes to crowd noise and creates more of a home field advantage.  The article I read (dated November 2019) lists the various NFL stadiums with retractable roofs and notes they are open a considerable amount of the time.

Way to go, Texans.  Get the taxpayers to pony up big time for a fancy retractable roof and then keep it closed because you don't think your crowd is loud enough.

plus there will be a LOT of Bills fans there.

Maybe they can open it every time the Texans are on offense, and close it when our offense comes onto the field ;)

Edited by RiotAct

2 hours ago, eball said:

I was wondering whether the roof at the stadium will be open Saturday (forecast is 68 degrees and sunny) and came across an interesting tidbit -- the roof at NRG has not been open for a Texans game in more than FIVE years.  A local news station "investigated" and seemed to arrive at a conclusion that the team believes a closed roof contributes to crowd noise and creates more of a home field advantage.  The article I read (dated November 2019) lists the various NFL stadiums with retractable roofs and notes they are open a considerable amount of the time.

Way to go, Texans.  Get the taxpayers to pony up big time for a fancy retractable roof and then keep it closed because you don't think your crowd is loud enough.

The atmosphere is more like a basketball game in NRG in my very limited experience.  Texans fans are quiet until they are prompted to make noise with organized cheers from the PA. 

They need to contain as much crowd noise as possible.

Edited by Jauronimo

2 hours ago, eball said:

I live here and yeah, it's the stupidest damn thing to have a retractable roof that never retracts!!

This is my fear that if Buffalo goes ahead with a downtown stadium, they'll never open the thing!

On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2020 at 2:27 AM, Peace Frog said:

I recommend Pappadeaux Seafood Kitchen and order the salmon alexander.  Totally awesome.

Love me some Pappadeaux's! Sausage and Seafood Gumbo! DAMN - NOW I'M REALLY HUNGRY!

3 hours ago, eball said:

They get loud......

when their own QB gets hurt.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2013/10/texans-fans-schaub-injury

41 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Finally got the trip squared away, can't wait for the weekend and to meet up with a few peeps at the tailgate. What is going on late night Friday?

Christian's is open until 2am, which is when the bars legally need to shut down. Late night restaurants are House of Pies, Katz'. Whataburger for a fast food burger. I live in the burbs so @Jauronimo could probably answer that better. 

Edited by The Real Buffalo Joe
  • Thank you (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Finally got the trip squared away, can't wait for the weekend and to meet up with a few peeps at the tailgate. What is going on late night Friday?

The party at Christian's Tailgate on Bagby will be going long into the night.  I fully expect that you will be running into Bills fans at any bar in Midtown Friday night.  Lil' Woodrows on Brazos should be jammed with red, white, and blue as well.

3 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

The party at Christian's Tailgate on Bagby will be going long into the night.  I fully expect that you will be running into Bills fans at any bar in Midtown Friday night.  Lil' Woodrows on Brazos should be jammed with red, white, and blue as well.

With the Bills playing the Texans - in Texas - red, white and blue are safe color calls.

• Haha (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Awesome. Thanks. Looks like only a mile or two from Toyota Center. Going to see the Rockets/76ers early so will get a later start on the bars. 

1 minute ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Awesome. Thanks. Looks like only a mile or two from Toyota Center. Going to see the Rockets/76ers early so will get a later start on the bars. 

If you're looking to pre-game in style, the Xochi happy hour begins at 4.  Grab a cocktail or two and a dozen wood fired oysters.  Their drinks are tasty but fairly weak. 

Just now, Jauronimo said:

If you're looking to pre-game in style, the Xochi happy hour begins at 4.  Grab a cocktail or two and a dozen wood fired oysters.  Their drinks are tasty but fairly weak. 

Prefer a strong drink in a chipped glass. ;) They got any of those nearby? Thx for all the tips.

Just now, Kelly the Dog said:

Prefer a strong drink in a chipped glass. ;) They got any of those nearby? Thx for all the tips.

Dirt Bar fits the bill, is close to Toyota Center, but doesn't open until 6.  Sunny's is a longer walk but guaranteed to give you a chipped glass and stiff drink. $1 jello shots too.  Opens at 3PM.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Jauronimo said:

Dirt Bar fits the bill, is close to Toyota Center, but doesn't open until 6.  Sunny's is a longer walk but guaranteed to give you a chipped glass and stiff drink. $1 jello shots too.  Opens at 3PM.

Dirt Bar and Sunny's sound good. I was once kicked out of a bar named "Dirtbags" in Tucson, which is no small feat.

• Haha (+1) 1