Houston Tailgate Official Info

5 hours ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

No one over the age of 10 should eat plain wings.  My 11 year old daughter stepped up to mild.  

My son used to order plain wings with the hot sauce on the side. I chastised him to no end! “You are bringing shame upon our family!”

He said the wing stayed crispier that way.....and there may have been something to that! STILL, I will NEVER stoop to that level! (As far as you know.) You order them plain, but they are not plain when you eat them, so it’s getting off on a technicality.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Augie said:

My son used to order plain wings with the hot sauce on the side. I chastised him to no end! “You are bringing shame upon our family!”

He said the wing stayed crispier that way.....and there may have been something to that! STILL, I will NEVER stoop to that level! (As far as you know.) You order them plain, but they are not plain when you eat them, so it’s getting off on a technicality.

A Bills fan down here in Houston used to order wings naked with sauce on the side. It was about the only way to enjoy a crunchy wing.  Its just not the same and its a sad state of affairs.  

2 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

A Bills fan down here in Houston used to order wings naked with sauce on the side. It was about the only way to enjoy a crunchy wing.  Its just not the same and its a sad state of affairs.  

Better overcooked and crunchy than undercooked and flabby. Why is that so hard for people to make a crunchy wing??? “Just right” isn’t rocket science!  Flabby wings are disgusting and should be, at least, a fineable offense! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Augie said:

Better overcooked and crunchy than undercooked and flabby. Why is that so hard for people to make a crunchy wing??? “Just right” isn’t rocket science!  Flabby wings are disgusting and should be, at least, a fineable offense! 

Most places will sacrifice quality for fast service.  They start with wet skinned wings, drop order after order without letting oil to come back up to temp, and then don't adjust timing to compensate for lower oil temp.  Thats my guess.  Never worked a day in the restaurant or bar business.

The only thing my daughter wanted for her Birthday was a Bills Playoff Game.  We are coming in from West Palm Beach to hang with the Bills Mafia.  I am hoping we can get adopted into a friendly tailgate.  I will pick up a case along the way.  GO Bills!!

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Augie said:

Making an excellent wing takes work and time.  I've done a lot of experimenting and finally decided that the double fry method works best for my tastes.

I know @Jauronimo has also tried a variety of cooking methods.

1 minute ago, Jauronimo said:

Most places will sacrifice quality for fast service.  They start with wet skinned wings, drop order after order without letting oil to come back up to temp, and then don't adjust timing to compensate for lower oil temp.  Thats my guess.  Never worked a day in the restaurant or bar business.

I think you are exactly right, and with no experience you know how to fix the symptom. The problem is they just don’t care enough. Sad....

There’s a nice little sports bar about a mile from my house. I used to go there for Bills games and occasionally get the wings, or even beef on weck. (One of the owners is from WNY.) They just don’t execute it well, so it doesn’t take off. When I had a serious hankering for the real stuff, I drove 80 miles round trip to a Duff’s outside of town. It was worth the trip! Same food, but done right. 

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

Making an excellent wing takes work and time.  I've done a lot of experimenting and finally decided that the double fry method works best for my tastes.

I know @Jauronimo has also tried a variety of cooking methods.

I know @plenzmd1 has a nephew who cooks great wings in a parking lot, but somehow he doesn’t get all the credit! 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

I’ve worked back of house for 15 years, everything from line cook to kitchen manager/executive chef. I would say it’s  more a combination  of rushing the orders out, cooking at too low of a temperature, and not using fresh oil.  Commercial gas fryers put out enough BTUs to not experience significant temperature drops even when dropping full baskets of frozen fish or fries.  Lots of places fry everything in 1 or 2 fryers, and most frozen food calls for temps of about 350°.  For a proper crispy wing you should really fry closer to 400°-425° and let it sit for at least a minute before saucing it.  Many kitchens also put cold sauce on hot wings, which is a recipe for a soggy wing.  

Just my two cents

Edited by Dirtyd415
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

Sometimes when I get wings outside of WNY, I will get them plain. Then I take them home and toss them in my own sauce. If I have some rapport with the place, sometimes I just bring my own sauce and ask the kitchen to use mine. Never been a problem. Then again, I make sure to bring plenty extra, so the cooks can try some, too.

6 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

Quite the lax dress codes down there.

image.jpeg.1c544853553e24b1af27aba8653432c4.jpeg

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Augie said:

I know @plenzmd1 has a nephew who cooks great wings in a parking lot, but somehow he doesn’t get all the credit! 

An artist has many methods, one just may be to have someone do the actual painting whilst one takes credit! The painting is still a masterpiece, that’s all that matters!

10 hours ago, Dirtyd415 said:

I’ve worked back of house for 15 years, everything from line cook to kitchen manager/executive chef. I would say it’s  more a combination  of rushing the orders out, cooking at too low of a temperature, and not using fresh oil.  Commercial gas fryers put out enough BTUs to not experience significant temperature drops even when dropping full baskets of frozen fish or fries.  Lots of places fry everything in 1 or 2 fryers, and most frozen food calls for temps of about 350°.  For a proper crispy wing you should really fry closer to 400°-425° and let it sit for at least a minute before saucing it.  Many kitchens also put cold sauce on hot wings, which is a recipe for a soggy wing.  

Just my two cents

425??? What you cooking in grape seed oil? 350-375 with Sams Club Canola works just fine, as long as enough oil and enough space for each wing to have its “

wiggle room”! 

• Haha (+1) 2