yard work

mead107

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

your own ? i  hired it out,  just no time . sending them to the apt house allso . . :lol:

303355[/snapback]

Do my own and am dam proud of it. :doh:

Seriously, hate doing it myself but have tried two diffreant guys here in Richmond, and they never did a job I thought was satisfactory. So, the only thing I farm out now is the core aeration in the fall. What sucks however is time spent in the spring getting the beds lokking good(but man they are awesome with all the azealas i have) and most of all raking the leaves. Besides that, the week to week mainteneance I find is pretty easy, about 1-1 1/2 hrs a week on average.

BTW, made a deal with my wife that if i did it, that would be my track money. Gives about $300 a month to play the ponies with. :lol:

I have a good size backyard and really enjoy landscaping and gardening. I look forward to it. It's called excercise,which I need.

303366[/snapback]

I agree with you. I have a self propelled mower that I walk behind; total time to mow the lawn is about 3 1/2 hours. I mow it in sections of about an hour each, a day or two apart. I also have a small vegetable garden (tomatoes, basil, cucumbers, pepper and eggplant) that is very low maintenance.

Others get on the treadmill, I walk behind a mower. :lol:

My "break" is an cold brew and a swim in the pool. :doh:

I agree with you. I have a self propelled mower that I walk behind; total time to mow the lawn is about 3 1/2 hours. I mow it in sections of about an hour each, a day or two apart. I also have a small vegetable garden (tomatoes, basil, cucumbers, pepper and eggplant) that is very low maintenance.

Others get on the treadmill, I walk behind a mower.  :lol:

My "break" is an cold brew and a swim in the pool.  :doh:

303377[/snapback]

Same page here Rockie - My motto is "If I can't take care of it, I have too much yard". Plus, the exercise for me (forced) is very important. I sit on my big fat yaknow typing on a keyboard all day (except for my daily jog of 3 1/4 miles). Once mowing season starts, I mow everyday about 30-45 minutes right when I get home.

Spring in new Jersey - actually, it's fantastic! (really!)

Unfortunately, wings have NOT been conducive to a trim waistline.

Oh, did I mention I like beer?

Dang! Now I want wings!!!!

plan on hiring out to have new landscaping done this fall .

303398[/snapback]

Alright, now your talking some big cash. Whole differant ballgame then doing the week to week. As much as some of these trees and plants cost, your gonna be disappointed when you cant smoke im

your own ? i  hired it out,  just no time . sending them to the apt house allso . . :doh:

303355[/snapback]

I actually enjoy it. I sit at a desk all day, so digging in the dirt is actually fun for me.

Our first year in our house I cut down eight 70-year-old ewe trees. The roots for each of them weighed about 100 lbs each, and I dug them out by hand. Last year I moved 8 cubic yards of new topsoil to create new planting beds - by wheelbarrow, and also removed a raised island garden. I had to rent a bobcat to take care of that.

Fun stuff. This year we're expanding our beds, so I'll probably need another 10 cubic yards of top soil. Planting is the fun part.

My house, my yard, my labor

That said, there is something holistic and cleansing about yard work. Especially spring clean up, it's like a rite of passage into summer.

And nothing beats leaping into the pool after you've mowed the lawn on a 90 degree day.

Me too! And I do it without a husband. Also clean my own pool. Great exercise and I love the tan.

But I've noticed this spring that those bags of top soil and mulch have gotten much heavier. :doh:

Alright, now your talking some big cash. Whole differant ballgame then doing the week to week. As much as some of these trees and plants cost, your gonna be disappointed when you cant smoke im

303404[/snapback]

Actually, we had a landscape design done and we're doing the actual work ourselves. That saves a ton of cash. The design itself wasn't cheap, but the work itself is the most expensive part.

My house, my yard, my labor :lol:

That said, there is something holistic and cleansing about yard work.  Especially spring clean up, it's like a rite of passage into summer.

And nothing beats leaping into the pool after you've mowed the lawn on a 90 degree day.

303380[/snapback]

I am not calling you a liar..... But 90 degrees in Syracuse??? has that even happened in the last decade or soo... or do you mean you cut your yard, once, when it got to 90?

:doh:

I do my own. As others have said, it is nice to get outside after working in an office all week long.

The most time consuming projects are preparing the vegetable garden and doing clean up each Fall and Spring. The rest is just weekly maitenance and small landscaping projects.

GO BILLS 2005!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

I actually enjoy it. I sit at a desk all day, so digging in the dirt is actually fun for me.

Last year I moved 8 cubic yards of new topsoil to create new planting beds - by wheelbarrow,

303428[/snapback]

Just did that this weekend with mulch. Dam, i thought that pile was never gonna end. 8 yds as well.

I have mine done year round. They do the lawn, the landscaping, edging, weed whacking and blow it all clean. Every so often when I am home when they arrive I tip each one of them $20 and tell them they are doing a great job and I appreciate it. The neighbors have to keep up with The Surfs.

Others get on the treadmill, I walk behind a mower.  :lol:

:lol: I had a neighbor who every morning religiously I could hear on his treadmill in the morning - thump thump thump thump - then come the weekend he'd climb onto his huge riding mower to mow his 1/3 acre lot :D . I actually like mowing the lawn - I'd rather being doing that and smelling the fresh cut grass than inside exercising or running on the road. There's just something about slicing through a thick bed of fescue that just does something for me ... :doh:

I have a decent 1/2 acre lot that we built a house on and was completely barren 5 yrs ago. I landscaped the backyard - and dug every hole, transported and planted every tree/bush/flower/shrub. I did the same thing with my previous house. I easily have planted well over 100 trees and shrubs this time - some trees with big rootballs probably close to 900 lbs. I'm the kind of person who derives great satisfaction from designing and planting/maintaining landscaping myself - rather than just paying someone else to do it. I can stand in my backyard now (which is beautiful IMHO) and take pride in the fact that I did it all. I also have a nice vegetable garden. It is a real nice peaceful break for me to be out back some mornings very early all by myself tending to my garden, watering my lawn etc. - just gives me some 'alone' time and helps me unwind.