yard work

mead107

WARNING, BEWARE... Total LAMP BELOW: :unsure:

I am old school at home and at work... Everything gets done in-house. There is now way I am paying a middle-man to do my yard work.

At work it is the same... Old-school Army... EVERYTHING is done in-house. 22 acres of our installation is manintained 24/7/365 by the 10 personnel here that staff it. If it means mowing, snowplowing, or replacing the clutch on the Deere 1050... It all gets done in house! Quite a feat for today's Army where civ contractors for everything is the norm!

Middle-men cost money! Inefficient at times.

BTW... Actually sneaking in to post... since I have a load of bark mulch to lay. Trees are getting old around here... Taking the dead and damaged ones down and planting new ones....

"Jack of all trades, master of none!"

SHhhhhhhhhhhhh.....

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

WARNING, BEWARE... Total LAMP BELOW:  :unsure:

I am old school at home and at work... Everything gets done in-house.  There is now way I am paying a middle-man to do my yard work.

At work it is the same... Old-school Army... EVERYTHING is done in-house.  22 acres of our installation is manintained 24/7/365 by the 10 personnel here that staff it.  If it means mowing, snowplowing, or replacing the clutch on the Deere 1050... It all gets done in house!  Quite a feat for today's Army where civ contractors for everything is the norm!

Middle-men cost money!  Inefficient at times.

BTW... Actually sneaking in to post... since I have a load of bark mulch to lay.  Trees are getting old around here... Taking the dead and damaged ones down and planting new ones....

"Jack of all trades, master of none!"

SHhhhhhhhhhhhh.....

303991[/snapback]

Mulch around the trunk, but never pile mulch in contact with the trunk...it introduces a different class of organisms to the bark and can disease the tree. Folks do it all the time, but they are in error.

Mulch around the trunk, but never pile mulch in contact with the trunk...it introduces a different class of organisms to the bark and can disease the tree. Folks do it all the time, but they are in error.

304006[/snapback]

Thanks! Exactly. Around the trunk I make it bowl shaped to hold the water in... And slightly brush it away from the trunk exposing the soil.

Now I am countersinking the bolts on the machine pits... For some reason, they used normal hex headed bolts that stood higher than the diamond plate? It was a real pain to shovel them... Always catching!

Times are a changin'!

:unsure:

Damn squirrels. They wreck everything. I can usually keep them out of the bird feeders with the pepper mix, but man they dig up my front and back lawns all day long burying their nuts. Damn squirrels. They get into all my potted plants too. Kick dirt out everywhere. Dig tunnels into the mulch in my landscaping too. Damn squirrels. Can't keep anything nice. Damn squirrels. They're everywhere, there's a million of them. I can look out my window and see ten of them all at once easily. They're not shy either, you can almost walk right up them and stomp on them. Almost. I think they like to taunt me. Worst part about it is my freaking neighbor feeds them peanuts! What she doesn't know is that her redneck husband shoots at them with a bb gun when she's not home. I've heard of this from another neighbor as I've never actually seen him do this myself, nor do I condone it, but I do understand his dislike of squirrels. Damn squirrels. Okay, I'm done ranting.

just got done washing the deck, will seal it tomarrow . love the look when i get it done . wife says i had to do our deck before i did any more customers . the deck doctor has to have a good looking deck . [hope to get some nap time at GE tonight .lots to do on friday. :doh::blink:0:) ]

I have to seed my backyard because there's a few places that are just dead from the shade from the huge tree out back (which needs to be trimmed badly). I'll probably be doing that next weekend, as my in-laws are coming up tomorrow.

Hey Todd, is that the Griswolds' RV parked in your neighbor's backyard?  :D

306112[/snapback]

Yes. But those damn Norway Maples are coming down and we're replacing them with some ideally located Arborvitaes to block it.

I hate norway maples. They are so damn invasive.