Gore vs Yeldon

On 12/8/2019 at 11:34 PM, BuffaloBillies said:

Make active: Yeldon & Duke!

Make inactive: Any 2 of... DiMarco, Perry, Kroft, Lee.

I don't make Gore inactive, there are others less consequential options. 

Agree about Yeldon and still dressing Gore.

9 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

That's not really true. Since 2011 - a huge sample size - Gore has fumbled only 20 times on 2,356 touches. That's a 0.8 percent rate, which is pretty low.  And over the last four seasons, he has fumbled 6 times on 919 touches - a 0.65 percent rate. Over the last two seasons, he has fumbled once on 328 touches, for a staggeringly low rate of 0.3 percent. Basically, his fumbling rate has really gone down over the course of his career, and we shouldn't be factoring his seasons from 15 years ago into his rate now. Yeldon's rate is good too - 6 fumbles on 656 touches, which is 0.9 percent rate. 

By way of comparison, I randomly looked up a few other backs. McCoy has fumbled at 0.85 rate over the course of his career, Mark Ingram has fumbled at 0.97 rate, Derrick Henry at a 0.86 rate, and Christian McCaffery at a 0.81 percent rate. Zeke Elliott has fumbled at a high 1.16 percent rate. The real standout? Le'Veon Bell, who has fumbled at a very low 0.5 percent rate. 0.9 percent seems about average (which is where Yeldon is at).

There are players that come up big in games and win you games (like Brady has done over his career making clutch plays when it matters) and there are players that make costly mistakes at horrible times and lose you games (like Fitzy has done over his career).    I think the coaches rightly place Yeldon in the (more likely to make a big mistake that could cost you a game) category.   

On 12/9/2019 at 1:09 AM, ganesh said:

Gore will be gone next season.  They will draft that big back in the middle round in the draft or get through FA. Yeldon hasn't had a chance more due to Gore being the 3rd all time leading rusher.

We talkin' bout THIS season.

Gore handoffs are wasted plays. His games seem to go...a few carries that result in anything from a 2 yard gain to a 2 yard loss, and one decent run for 8 yards or something.

Edited by 32ABBA

17 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Then someone provided facts on his amount of fumbles and I changed my answer and said he should be active.....keep up

Keep up?

These "facts" have been posted here several times (every time someone makes this bogus claim actually) this season.

13 hours ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

he hasn’t been a top 50 run in years. 

he was horrible running in the preseason and his only savings grace was he could catch the ball. 

Well he's #25 in rush yds this season...and his 3.2 yd avg isn't even close to top 50...wow! Crazy and that's really rough for that % of cap!

11 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Keep up?

These "facts" have been posted here several times (every time someone makes this bogus claim actually) this season.

The bogus claim rate is actually only 0.24 bogus per claim (bpc), but that does jump up to 1.3 bpc in the five hours after a loss.

I was surprised, but the advanced metric bSpc supports this too. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, 32ABBA said:

Gore handoffs are wasted plays. His games seem to go...a few carries that result in anything from a 2 yard gain to a 2 yard loss, and one decent run for 8 yards or something.

And those 8 yard runs should be >20 yard runs for most NFL backs.  Great story, time to move on.

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, jlgarsh said:

Gore came into the league with a bit of a fumbling issue.  His last 10+ seasons he's fumbled 23 times, vs 22 in his first 5 years.  He's also been very durable during that 10 year span.

Interestingly, it appears that fumble rates overall have REALLY declined in recent years. Walter Payton's was 2.0 percent, Emmitt Smith's was 1.2, Barry Sanders's was 1.2, Thurman Thomas was 1.4, and OJ's was 2.4 percent, Eric Dickerson's was 2.4 percent, and Franco Harris's was 2.8 percent! My god, that's a lot. 1.2 percent is a very high rate these days, and most backs are under 1 percent.

Coaching, an increase in zero tolerance for fumblers,  reviews that show the knee was down, and less clotheslining and headshots probably have a fair bit to do with this.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, 32ABBA said:

I think that more substitutions and more passing have kept the RB's a bit fresher and that may have helped lower the fumble rate. The feature backs like Franco Harris and OJ used to be on the field almost every down.

I dunno. Jim Braxton and Rocky Bleier both put up substantial yardage totals in Simpson and Harris's most productive seasons. In OJ's best season (1975), Braxton had 823 yards rushing in a 14-game season. One thing that is true is that it was definitely a more brutal game back then. 

I've said this before. Yeldon looked much more explosive than Gore when he did touch the ball. He had a few fumbles and everyone thought he had that itis. But that's not really the case. Singletary also had 2 fumbles in a short span. No big deal. They happen and it's fixable. But I think the offense would be more explosive with Yeldon. I think he catches that ball was off Singletary's hands for a big gain. But Gore might be the safer option and that seems to be the way the coaches away right now. 

5 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

I dunno. Jim Braxton and Rocky Bleier both put up substantial yardage totals in Simpson and Harris's most productive seasons. In OJ's best season (1975), Braxton had 823 yards rushing in a 14-game season. One thing that is true is that it was definitely a more brutal game back then. 

Yeah, but both backs were still on the field, running, blocking...not standing around on the sidelines for a series. And again, more running plays.

Edited by 32ABBA