Heard this on John Clayton Interview

marck

I was listening to John Clayton this morning on the Mike and Mike show on ESPN Radio.

He stated that the Tampa Bay Buccaneers may be trying to manuever into position to select either Alex Smith or Aaron Rogers at QB.

Even though this makes no sense to me, Clayton is pretty wired into the most accurate of the NFL talk and this led me to think that maybe the Bills can make a deal with Tampa for Travis Henry.

I also know that Tampa may be making a move on June 1st to release Kenyetta Walker although this was in the Bucs team notes of April 11th.

Walker Ready To Tackle Next Level

Apr 08 - Kenyatta Walker already has inner peace. Now, he's seeking balance. Tampa Bay's fifth-year tackle has endured significant and very public growing pains since the Bucs traded up to draft him as a junior out of the University of Florida. Walker made strides in 2004, reclaiming the starting right tackle job from free agent acquisition Todd Steussie in Week 6. "What haven't I been through?" Walker asked this week during organized workouts at One Buc Place. "I think last year I gained respect. I feel that the year before, they didn't know who I was. I got better, and I'm ready to take it to another level. I was more consistent last year, but I'm looking to be great."

What makes this even more interesting is that the Bucs signed two tackles today, Matt Martin and Jeff Hatch. I know nothing about Martin, but Hatch was developing with the Giants a couple of years ago.

The point is this, it seems like their could be a market for a running back to end up in Tampa from an existing roster. That puts Travis Henry at the front of the list as he has the most managable contract of all the available running backs which would be a great benefit to cap strapped Tampa.

Might the Bills be working a deal where they send Henry to Tampa for Kenyetta Walker and Tampa's 2nd round choice. If so, I like this deal much better then what is being proposed with Arizona.

This would also work for Tampa in that they could go and select their QB by trading up with Miami, Travis would be happy to land in Florida and the Bills could get another option at OT. The only issue I see is Walker is a RT and I don't know if he can play the LT position. Also, the compensation may be a 3rd round pick since Tampa may have to give Miami a 2nd to exchange picks in the first round.

In any case, questions or comments.

>>>>Might the Bills be working a deal where they send Henry to Tampa for Kenyetta Walker and Tampa's 2nd round choice. If so, I like this deal much better then what is being proposed with Arizona.<<<<

NE got Corey Dillon, who is twice the back Travis Henry is, for the last pick of the 2nd round.

Do you think, under any conditions, that TB would give us more than this for Travis Henry?

>>>>Might the Bills be working a deal where they send Henry to Tampa for Kenyetta Walker and Tampa's 2nd round choice. If so, I like this deal much better then what is being proposed with Arizona.<<<<

NE got Corey Dillon, who is twice the back Travis Henry is, for the last pick of the 2nd round.

Do you think, under any conditions, that TB would give us more than this for Travis Henry?

302604[/snapback]

Dillon was also 31 or 32 years old at the time. Henry is alot younger.

I'd take Walker, he'd be good. I don't think he's ready for LT, but Big Mike is, leaving us only needing a RT.

Donahoe will get more for Henry than he is worth. This will either be a first day pick, or a player with a swap in the draft. It doesnt matter what he's worth, it what other teams are willing to pay for him.

302604[/snapback]

Well there's more factors at play to make a statement like that:

* Player's salary

* Depth in the draft (that is, a 2nd rounder this year isn't necessarily the same value as a 2nd rounder last year)

* Alternatives

And let's not forget that last year Dillon was seen as an aging (declining ypc), malcontent player coming off of a season where he didn't play much.

Even though this makes no sense to me, Clayton is pretty wired into the most accurate of the NFL talk and this led me to think that maybe the Bills can make a deal with Tampa for Travis Henry.

302590[/snapback]

:doh:

Clayton seems to get it wrong more often then right. He said there was no way TO wouldn't be a Baltimore Raven, plus others that I've forgotten. Didn't he recently say the Henry trade with Arizona would be completed by now, after he said it was off?

If we trade Henry for a draft pick, I think a third round pick in return would be realistic as long as Henry does not make demands for a new contract before reporting to his new team. He is probably worth more, but this is a tough year to trade a running back.

302604[/snapback]

Certainly. The first condition is that it has to be a different draft with a differet market. last i heard the 2005 draft is in a different year than the 2004 draft so the first condition is definitely met.

Its important to say this because your post seems to imply and many people seem to falsly think that because one player got exchanged for a certain level draft pick in one draft that this establishes a level of value or worth for in draft choices for a player at a particular level of skill.

This is simply wrong. A player at a designated level of skill can be reasonably traded for a pick and the next year a player at that same level of skill can be reasonably worth a higher or lower level pick than the first player at the same level as the market changes.

A great back in a lousy draft will generally be worth a higher level pick than the very same great back in a draft heavy with good RB talent.

Not only is this variable easily true across drafts, it is also true within a draft as picks are made.

For example, Chris Kelsay was predicted by some to be a 1st round level talent in the year he came ou. The Bills had a huge need at DE (prompted in my mind by us moving to the 4-3 from the 3-4 with a couple of years of losing Wiley to FA, Bif Ted and Bruce as cap casualties and Hansen to retirement).

Few would have blinked if TD and the Bills has used their #23 (ish or thereabouts) pick to take Kelsay in the 1st round after a run of 8 or so DL players being taken in that draft though folks would have wailed we should have traded and moved though they likely would have been the same whiners who hat TD and indict him for moving up to take Denney even though our DE need was even worse that year). However, TD read the market correctly and the Bills docs said WM was physically worth the risk as long as he was mentally diligent.

The result was we got a DE touted as a potential st rounder with out 2nd pick as the teams that wanted a DE had already taken one in the 1st round rush. TD led the Bills to getting a top 5 talent (before the WM injury) with a pick in the 20s in the first and still got the DE he would have gotten if he used the 1st rounder on him.

This year's RB market is far from static. The top 3 RBs (at least) are far better RB choices than Henry, but if a team picks him they will have to forgo other talent that is thinner. Teams like AZ are interested in Henry because if they use their early pick to get one of the RBs they will likely miss out on getting a CB who is ready to start. If they pick the CB they need/want with their first pick they run the risk that by the time their 2nd choice comes around they may end up with a talent at RB less than Henry or maybe they see some other need beside RB they can pick and their RB choice is then a 3rd rounder.

The same is true for TB. but their cap situation is more desperate than AZs (even though they do have more draft picks) but maybe it makes more football sense to use a trade of one of their draft picks to the Bills to get a former Pro Bowler in at RB in Henry.

Throw Miami into the mix who has no 2nd round pick but a huge football need to replace Wickey at RB (there is reasonable debate about whether former Pro Bowler Henry is good at all) but there is little debate that getting a former Pro Bolw RB would allow Miami to market the heck out of him (even if it is false hope) that this is a new era at RB for them.

It is quite easy to evision a world or set of circumstances within even this RB laden draft to imagine a world where Henry (regardless of what you think of his value as a player) could be worth subtantial trade value.

1. Team pros operate in a fuller world than us fans do seeing trade value as being beyond a mere player assessment but being driven by a marketing assessment.

2. Team pros make different (and in my view more informed) judgments of player assessment (there are clearly pundits and team pros who place a pretty good assessment on a player who suceeded in racking up over 1000 yards rushing in his brief carreer.

3. Team pros make player assessment not merely based on some static judgment of how good they think a player is, but instead on where he fits in to their team. Most teams would easily trade even a 1st round choice for an average vet who they think can make the difference for their team or he occupies a high value or marketable position with an affordable cap hit.

I can easily envision Henry commanding more in the market than Corey Dillon not because of an assessment of them as players, but because of an assessmentof this market right here and right now.

Well, Gruden has already had just about every available QB through the revolving door down in Tampa, why not another one.

To me it doesn't make sense. Griese did pretty good for them last year and Chris Simms has shown promise in his limited time....and for the life of me, I don't know what Gruden is waiting for with him. Pittman does alright for them when he's not in court and Alstott is getting banged up on a regular basis, so RB seems to be the logical choice.

Well, Gruden has already had just about every available QB through the revolving door down in Tampa, why not another one.

To me it doesn't make sense. Griese did pretty good for them last year and Chris Simms has shown promise in his limited time....and for the life of me, I don't know what Gruden is waiting for with him. Pittman does alright for them when he's not in court and Alstott is getting banged up on a regular basis, so RB seems to be the logical choice.

302684[/snapback]

I wonder if the Akron qb Frye will be the wild card in this year's draft.

Walker stinks and cannot play LT. We already have an expensive RT.

Trade for him ? Why not just consider him at the Vet minimum after he's cut ?

We need a LT. So TD either decides he wants Shelton or pops Teague back outside.

Meanwhile, if Travis doesn't bring Shelton, then pick up a 3rd round pick or hold onto him until someone has a shortage in camp, due to injury.

No panic moves are necessary.

Wasn't Gruden the guy who back in February, blathered " We don't just hand our QB job to a rookie, like Buffalo " .

So now he wants to Draft a QB and pay him big $$, with Griese and Simms already on the Roster ? :P

Hey Chuckie Hypocrite...STFU ! :doh: