2020 HOF Semi-Finalists announced

YoloinOhio

2 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Seems like Boselli, Faneca, Polamalu, and Willis would be near-locks

Without looking at his stats, in my mind it doesn’t seem like Willis really had that long of a prime in the league.  He kind of burst onto the scene and then Bowman really surpassed him and he dealt with a lot of injuries.  That’s how I remember it.

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/26/2019 at 4:37 PM, 947 said:

Yep.

It's close, but Ward has better career numbers in every category except yards, and he was a better playoff performer. Plus Ward is seen as a hard-nosed player while Holt was more of a finesse guy. If I'm voting for one the other, it's Ward. Holt will also be deserving when he eventually gets in.

Ward edges Holt in stats only because he played longer.  Pretty clear who the more talented guy was.

Holt had 8 straight seasons of 1,000 + yards.  The fastest receiver in history to 10,000 at that point in time.

Ward also never made an All Pro team.

32 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

Ward edges Holt in stats only because he played longer.  Pretty clear who the more talented guy was.

Holt had 8 straight seasons of 1,000 + yards.  The fastest receiver in history to 10,000 at that point in time.

stats mean very little in comparing WRs from prior to the 1990s

actually you could deduct 1/2 to  2/3 of their yards in the current QB-friendly era because until 1978 a DB was able to do anything he wanted to a WR, including knock him out cold or paralyze him for life.

33 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

Longevity is a big part of a HOF career. Ward also had 2 SuperBowl wins to Holt's 1, played a lot more playoff games, and had better per-game playoff numbers. Even Steeler haters loved the way Ward played, and how he'd jump up after getting smashed by a DB with a huge smile on his face.

It's just an opinion poll, I think we can all agree both belong in the Hall of Fame.

This list is so watered down. Polamalu is the only lock imo. Zach Thomas was great and will probably get in. Reggie Wayne was great. Edgerrin James? Lol. Dude was a cap casualty. 

Idk, this is the Hall of Fame, not Hall of Really Good. These players were damn good but idk if 90% of them deserve to go in this year. Steve Tasker is one of the few on the list truly deserving. He and Polamalu dominated their positions when they played. Zach Thomas was a tackling machine but not like Luke Keuchly is, more like London Fletcher was. And not to sound like a total dick but Sam Mills? Because he had cancer? Cornelius Bennett and, by far, Darryl Talley and Shane Conlan deserve it a long time before Sam Mills does; sorry, not sorry. 

If theres any year Tasker makes it....just look at this list. No Jerry Rice. No Marshall Faulk. Just guys like Fred Taylor and Simeon Rice; great players but not Jerry Rice great..and in this case not even Steve Tasker great. 

16 hours ago, 947 said:

Longevity is a big part of a HOF career. Ward also had 2 SuperBowl wins to Holt's 1, played a lot more playoff games, and had better per-game playoff numbers. Even Steeler haters loved the way Ward played, and how he'd jump up after getting smashed by a DB with a huge smile on his face.

It's just an opinion poll, I think we can all agree both belong in the Hall of Fame.

No doubt. Splitting hairs is the fun part.

gee, those WR have better stats these days, wonder why?

well, son.... these two plays were part and parcel of the game, a bit rough but nothing was called

the club and the hook at the neck were perfectly legal at any time, even after the pass went elsewhere

imagine doing that to a WR in today's game...

On 11/26/2019 at 1:40 PM, DrDawkinstein said:

Is it me or is that a surprisingly weak class? No one with a WOW factor when thinking about their playing days. Solid players all around for sure.

I guess Polamalu would be the leader of the pack? Would love to see Tasker get in with this class too.

Polamalu and Hutchinson are standouts for me.