TNF: Colts at Texans

YoloinOhio

17 minutes ago, eball said:

I haven't read the entire thread so maybe this has been brought up, but my understanding of the Watson "fumble" is that basically, the refs on the field screwed it up by blowing the play dead without acknowledging a fumble, and therefore tied the hands of the replay official who was powerless to correct that error because of the way the replay rules are written.

In other words, it was not an error by the replay booth but an error in the fact that the very thing replay is supposed to correct (on-field ref mistakes) was not "reviewable" because of the whistle.

Sounds about right coming from the NFL- we screwed up but we have rules to ensure screw up stands if it benefits who we want it to benefit.

Indianapolis Colts linebacker Darius Leonard will go to his grave believing he recovered a Deshaun Watson fumble late in Thursday night's 20-17 loss to the Houston Texans.

"We were fighting for it," Leonard said after the tilt, via the Indy Star. "I got it."

With 1:48 left and the Texans facing a second-and-9 after the Colts used their final timeout, Watson kept the ball on a run to the right end. Leonard jabbed the ball out, and the two went to the ground tussling for the pigskin.

"I punched it out," Leonard said. "I punched for it, got it out. I had it, and after that, they said it wasn't a fumble."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001079358/article/colts-darius-leonard-thinks-he-recovered-late-fumble

There is more in the article if you want to read the whole thing.

I firmly believe the fix was in.  On the field during the play it looked to me like the ref ruled it not a fumble at all.  They didn't even try to look to see who recovered.  Later on the NFL says it was ruled a fumble recovered by Watson.  I think that's horse manure. 

Edited by Scott7975

6 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Brissett may not have that "wow" throw in him, I was more reacting to the fact that he doesn't seem to have a guy who is "open when covered" on the throws he is able to make.

I don't think he throws with anticipation. That last TD pass Watson throws before Hopkins is open. He just sees his guy in single coverage and puts the ball where only Hopkins can catch it. He trusts his guy to get open. Brissett reminds me of a Tyrod or a Dalton or a Smith. He throws to the guy once he is open. I don't think giving a guy better receivers changes that. 

3 hours ago, badassgixxer05 said:

The whistle doesn't matter if the fumble recovery is immediate and conclusive. Maybe it was too hard in the pile to see who had the ball? IDK, but some announcement of the sort should have been made on the field to clear the air. Seems fishy to me...

They have an automatic cop out by rule. They say forward momentum stopped and play dead at that point. Not reviewable. 

Awful call but it helped the Bills so I am not going to spend too long worrying about it. 

Houston as the #4 makes Bills almost certain of the #6 so long as we win Sunday and vs the Jets. But if Bills can be the #5 and go to Houston I can sniff a playoff win. 

17 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Chad Kelly is on the Colts 53 man roster and was called up from the practice squad when Brissett got hurt.  He was inactive tonight.  Obviously they don't think he's an upgrade over Brissett or Hoyer.

i thought they cut him awhile back??

he may not be an upgrade now but he's better than them long term.

44 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

i thought they cut him awhile back??

he may not be an upgrade now but he's better than them long term.

They cut him after his suspension so they didn't have to activate him to the 53 man roster.  Once he cleared waivers they signed him to their practice squad.  So..... they were willing to risk a team signing him during the waiver period which tells me they only like him as a developmental prospect.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

They cut him after his suspension so they didn't have to activate him to the 53 man roster.  Once he cleared waivers they signed him to their practice squad.  So..... they were willing to risk a team signing him during the waiver period which tells me they only like him as a developmental prospect.

from what i saw in college and preseason hes a better prospect. He reminds me a lot of Allen minus the character, if he can get consistent coaching like Allen he should develop.