Adam Gase and the decision to cut Jordan Phillips

dave mcbride

On 11/18/2019 at 12:51 PM, Warcodered said:

Yeah I mean they cut Jordan Phillips last year, this year he's currently leading all DTs in sacks.

I hope that continues & the Bills don't see that on again off again guy !! I think Beane is smart enough to put incentives in his contract to keep him motivated to be the guy he has shown himself to be with his FA coming at the end of this season .

He could be a core type player as long as he stays motivated to play the way he is for the long term & doesn't turn into a Albert Haynesworth after he get's his contract ...

On 11/18/2019 at 12:45 PM, dave mcbride said:

I thought it might be a good idea to revisit that decision, largely because he has proven now that he's an above-average NFL starting DT. After reading this, I am so glad that Gase is still coaching in the AFC East: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article222300710.html.

Good article, Dave, Thanks.

I think it was on the "Lo Down", 'Zo Alexander was talking about how one of the big difference-makers for Phillips was, as Phillips called it, "developing a filter".  I thought it was interesting because it also shows why McD values veteran leadership in all rooms so much.

'Zo told a story that after his first game as a Bill, the defense was reviewing film and Frazier paused it and critiqued Phillips.  Said Star was sitting next to Phillips and looked over and could see Phillips just getting hotter and hotter as Frazier talked: "he's gonna blow!"  Reached over and put a hand on his arm and said, "Just take it."

Apparently knowing how to take criticism from a coach and process it, is not a uniform skill across the NFL.  Who knew?

So various vets have worked with Phillips to make the point that the coaches want him to be the best he can be and he needs to process what they're saying to get there.  He's been taking it to heart and it shows.

• Like (+1) 2

I can't blame the Fins, J.Phillips was on the last year of his rookie deal and he was an underperforming malcontent. They waived him because they knew he wasn't going to resign and wasn't good on the field for them. I would assume that they also explored a trade market and one wasn't there. 

The Fins were not a good situation generally speaking and not a good situation for J.Phillips. Sometimes players need a wake up call and a change of scenery. Jordan got both with the Bills and it has reaped benefits for both parties. 

My takeaway isn't so much about Gase, although he's clearly involved.

What hits home is the fact that this guy is an extremely talented 2nd round pick. Yes, we picked him up off the scrap heap, but he was never scraps.

I think some people don't want the Bills to give him a contract because it seems like he's some average player who came out of nowhere. That's not the case. Pay the man.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 11/18/2019 at 3:17 PM, st pete gogolak said:

Not counting it as a sack cost me a fantasy football win.  Still waiting to reverse the decision.

Would you settle for a letter of apology? The league seems to think this can help.