Lenny P. has some T. Henry stuff in Tip Sheet

jahnyc

Arizona's DE Vanden Bosch visited the Bills this week.  Coincidence?

Sounds to me like TD is trying to get Arizona's DE Vanden Bosch + Shelton in exchange for Henry, possibly along with a swap of 2nd round picks.

Maybe this is the tinkering that is being done to finalize this deal.

It's pure speculation but isn't that what TSW is all about?

300476[/snapback]

Do you happen to have link (URL!!) for his visit? Seems like the bills have been bringing plenty of folks in under the radar. Is this intentional, or is the buffalo media slipping a little bit?

Arizona's DE Vanden Bosch visited the Bills this week.  Coincidence?

Sounds to me like TD is trying to get Arizona's DE Vanden Bosch + Shelton in exchange for Henry, possibly along with a swap of 2nd round picks.

Maybe this is the tinkering that is being done to finalize this deal.

It's pure speculation but isn't that what TSW is all about?

300476[/snapback]

Vanden Bosch is a free agent, so it would have zero to do with any trade talk.

Donahoe, get finished what you started. I believe he will. It's time to get deep into the play-offs, anything else is a failure. Forget about the inexperienced QB. We got the players and we got the nucleus.

GO BILLS!

300208[/snapback]

Expecting to get deep into the playoffs without ever seeing JP start a game is quite optimistic. We know he has the physical tools, but the biggest determinant in our success this year will be his decision making skills. MM will try to limit other team's exploiting his inexperience by using a power running game and good D but you can't just forget about the most important position on the field.

RTB

From Lenny P at ESPN :

- Don't you just hate flip-floppers? Yeah, us, too, except when we are forced to reverse positions on an issue. Like the much discussed trade of Buffalo Bills disgruntled tailback Travis Henry to the Arizona Cardinals for left offensive tackle L.J.Shelton, who clearly has fallen out of favor with coach Dennis Green and his staff. We reported in this space two weeks ago that the swap would almost certainly occur before the draft.

And now? We're not so sure. For one thing, upon further inspection, the Buffalo staff isn't nearly as enamored of Shelton as it once appeared to be. There are some Bills coaches who feel that Shelton would not be a starter in Buffalo, and that he probably would serve only as the team's No. 6 offensive lineman. That means, barring an unexpected event, the Bills plan to move starting center Trey Teague to left tackle, the position he played early in his career, with the Denver Broncos. It also probably means there will not be a straight player-for-player swap between the Bills and the Cardinals. The Bills still feel they need to get something more in return for Henry, a two-time 1,000-yard rusher, who lost his starting job to Willis McGahee last season, and who has vowed he will never again play in a Bills uniform.

So if Henry isn't shipped off to Arizona, where does he go? Maybe back to the Bills, who certainly can afford to keep him, especially with a palatable base salary of $1.25 million. Sure, there would have to be some fences mended for Henry to play in Buffalo again. But the rhetoric and posturing of March and April, such as that done by Henry a couple weeks ago, typically is long forgotten [and forgiven] when teams start doling out paychecks.

There also is the possibility that Buffalo could find a trade partner other than Arizona, and that notion isn't so far-fetched. A few other clubs have contacted Bills general manager Tom Donahoe and, while none has yet to approximate the ardor of the Cardinals, plenty can happen before the draft. Do not discount teams such as Tampa Bay, Seattle (if the Seahawks suddenly found a buyer for "franchise" tailback Shaun Alexander), Houston and Minnesota as potential suitors. -

One of the reasons I'm not in the panic mode over Shelton is that Teague can bounce to the outside. Even though Teague is no star at LT, why make a move for Shelton if he's not considered an upgrade ? His 3 Mil in salary then becomes our problem. Losman is a 1st year starter but has mobility and a tendency to roll to his right, lessing the chance of the blindside hit. Tucker also showed me he could play Center at a quality level. I agree with Jay that the Bills started running the ball better when Tucker filled in for an injured Teague at Center. Tucker is extremely bright ( Princeton grad ) and can make correct calls at the line. Don't underestimate that factor. Some other factors...

1. Bills could have a legit shot at OT Adam Terry of Syracuse in Round 2, as Harv mentioned in another thread.

2. According to Ourlads Scouting, the 2006 Draft will have a healthy number of quality LT prospects available, unlike this year. Think TD and Co. aren't aware of this ? Making do with Teague for a year makes sense, knowing they will probably have a legit shot at a quality OT next year.

3. Henry could still garner a middle round pick while the draft is in progress. Once teams fail to see specific RB's drop to their slots in the first 2 rounds, Henry suddenly becomes a popular alternative with a few teams. A 3rd round pick perhaps ? We could sure pick a good player with that.

Conclusion - It may all be smoke and mirrors, with Shelton coming here after all. But if the above comments prove to be true, I won't be in panic mode. If the Bills sit at #55, they will have several players on their big board that could fall to their slot. This Draft has very good depth at CB, if specific OL or DT's have already been selected. Some interesting players at TE and RB, which I'll list in a future thread.

I see PLENTY of opportunities to help our roster, come Draft day. I'm NOT going to hang my hat on the proposed Shelton trade as a make or break deal for this off-season. That's nonsense. Too many folks have worked themselves into a lather over aquiring Shelton. Let the chips fall and we'll be fine.

From Lenny P at ESPN :

- Don't you just hate flip-floppers? Yeah, us, too, except when we are forced to reverse positions on an issue. Like the much discussed trade of Buffalo Bills disgruntled tailback Travis Henry to the Arizona Cardinals for left offensive tackle L.J.Shelton, who clearly has fallen out of favor with coach Dennis Green and his staff. We reported in this space two weeks ago that the swap would almost certainly occur before the draft.

And now? We're not so sure. For one thing, upon further inspection, the Buffalo staff isn't nearly as enamored of Shelton as it once appeared to be. There are some Bills coaches who feel that Shelton would not be a starter in Buffalo, and that he probably would serve only as the team's No. 6 offensive lineman. That means, barring an unexpected event, the Bills plan to move starting center Trey Teague to left tackle, the position he played early in his career, with the Denver Broncos. It also probably means there will not be a straight player-for-player swap between the Bills and the Cardinals. The Bills still feel they need to get something more in return for Henry, a two-time 1,000-yard rusher, who lost his starting job to Willis McGahee last season, and who has vowed he will never again play in a Bills uniform.

So if Henry isn't shipped off to Arizona, where does he go? Maybe back to the Bills, who certainly can afford to keep him, especially with a palatable base salary of $1.25 million. Sure, there would have to be some fences mended for Henry to play in Buffalo again. But the rhetoric and posturing of March and April, such as that done by Henry a couple weeks ago, typically is long forgotten [and forgiven] when teams start doling out paychecks.

There also is the possibility that Buffalo could find a trade partner other than Arizona, and that notion isn't so far-fetched. A few other clubs have contacted Bills general manager Tom Donahoe and, while none has yet to approximate the ardor of the Cardinals, plenty can happen before the draft. Do not discount teams such as Tampa Bay, Seattle (if the Seahawks suddenly found a buyer for "franchise" tailback Shaun Alexander), Houston and Minnesota as potential suitors.  -

One of the reasons I'm not in the panic mode over Shelton is that Teague can bounce to the outside. Even though Teague is no star at LT, why make a move for Shelton if he's not considered an upgrade ? His 3 Mil in salary then becomes our problem. Losman is a 1st year starter but has mobility and a tendency to roll to his right, lessing the chance of the blindside hit. Tucker also showed me he could play Center at a quality level. I agree with Jay that the Bills started running the ball better when Tucker filled in for an injured Teague at Center. Tucker is extremely bright ( Princeton grad ) and can make correct calls at the line. Don't underestimate that factor.  Some other factors...

1. Bills could have a legit shot at OT Adam Terry of Syracuse in Round 2, as Harv mentioned in another thread.

2. According to Ourlads Scouting, the 2006 Draft will have a healthy number of quality LT prospects available, unlike this year. Think TD and Co. aren't aware of this ? Making do with Teague for a year makes sense, knowing they will probably have a legit shot at a quality OT next year. 

3. Henry could still garner a middle round pick while the draft is in progress. Once teams fail to see specific RB's drop to their slots in the first 2 rounds, Henry suddenly becomes a popular alternative with a few teams. A 3rd round pick perhaps ? We could sure pick a good player with that.

Conclusion - It may all be smoke and mirrors, with Shelton coming here after all. But if the above comments prove to be true, I won't be in panic mode. If the Bills sit at #55, they will have several players on their big board that could fall to their slot. This Draft has very good depth at CB, if specific OL or DT's have already been selected. Some interesting players at TE and RB, which I'll list in a future thread.

I see PLENTY of opportunities to help our roster, come Draft day. I'm NOT going to hang my hat on the proposed Shelton trade as a make or break deal for this off-season. That's nonsense. Too many folks have worked themselves into a lather over aquiring Shelton. Let the chips fall and we'll be fine.

300793[/snapback]

To me, this story is just more Donahoe leaking things to a friend in the media to strengthen his bargaining hand with Arizona. "No, we don't really like Shelton that much, so you'd better make sure we get that draft pick swap we want." I don't think TD would tell his ESPN buddy that the Bills' staff thinks they can turn Shelton into the next Orlando Pace at this juncture, do you? CD

I really don't care if we get LJ or if in fact we do trade TH. The only thing I want or care about is DRAFT PICKS. Get 'em, I don't care how.

People, or should I say the "experts", don't think that this is a very strong draft, or at least in some areas. I think that this year's draft has the type of players that Buffalo needs. I don't care about other teams and I don't care about other positions. Donahoe, get finished what you started. I believe he will. It's time to get deep into the play-offs, anything else is a failure. Forget about the inexperienced QB. We got the players and we got the nucleus.

I think that we'll see a big increase of activity of acquiring talent from just before the draft until training camp. TD laid purposely, waiting to see last residual of available talent. This way he didn't have to pay too much and allowed more dollars for the draft.

GO BILLS!

300208[/snapback]

"Deep" in the playoffs? How about just making them? That, after what would be 5 years, would be nice. :devil:

I agree that Tucker at Center would not be a downgrade at all. I'm not that concerned yet either about the Shelton deal. Teague wanted to be our LT when he came here. He'll be no worse than a versatile backup come June 2nd. I wonder if Shelton will be cut by AZ on June 1st.

Long read but still pretty interesting

• Don't you just hate flip-floppers? Yeah, us, too, except when we are forced to reverse positions on an issue. Like the much discussed trade of Buffalo Bills disgruntled tailback Travis Henry to the Arizona Cardinals for left offensive tackle L.J.Shelton, who clearly has fallen out of favor with coach Dennis Green and his staff. We reported in this space two weeks ago that the swap would almost certainly occur before the draft.

There also is the possibility that Buffalo could find a trade partner other than Arizona, and that notion isn't so far-fetched. A few other clubs have contacted Bills general manager Tom Donahoe and, while none has yet to approximate the ardor of the Cardinals, plenty can happen before the draft. Do not discount teams such as Tampa Bay, Seattle (if the Seahawks suddenly found a buyer for "franchise" tailback Shaun Alexander), Houston and Minnesota as potential suitors.

Continued...

like i said before, there's a reason why the worst team in football wants to get rid of Shelton...we're not dumb, he's overrated and going to get cut anyway...

302361[/snapback]

Yeah after all, the cards cut pete kendall and he turned out to be pretty crappy for the jets....... :doh: