The Lineage of Travis Henry...

Let's take a look at how and why Travis Henry has been so critical to the success of this team and how Tom Donahoe mastered this process...

(1) 2001. Bills hold the 14th pick. Fans are screaming for him to take Kenyatta Walker, the offensive lineman from Florida State. TD trades down ~6 spots, picks up an additional 2nd round pick. In the 21st position, he then selects Nate Clements, CB, Ohio State, a future Pro Bowler. With the additional pick in the 2nd round, TD selects Travis Henry, RB, Tennessee, a future Pro Bowler.

(2) 2003. In a move of sheer genius, TD tags Peerless Price, and then works out a deal with Atlanta for their pick in the 1st round (23rd pick). Fans get frustrated while they watch two defensive ends (a need area for the team) get drafted --> Michael Haynes, Penn State gets drafted by Chicago, then Jerome McDougle, Miami gets drafted by Philadelphia. Ok, Bills fans cross their fingers and now have their sights set on Jeff Faine, C, Notre Dame, but Cleveland takes him at the 21st spot. In a surprising move, TD draft Willis McGahee, RB, Miami...and the entire draft is turned on its head! And by the way, TD selects Chris Kelsay, DE, Nebraska in the 2nd round...a prospect that many had as a 1st round talent.

(3) 2004. Given McGahee's explosion onto the scene, the Bills take off a great 2nd half of the season run...thereby making Travis Henry expendable.

(4) 2005. TD will shipping Travis Henry in a trade for a solid (albeit, not great) offensive lineman and a move up in the 2nd round.

So, what does this tell us? Look at what TD turned into gold by simply sliding down half-a-dozen spots in the 1st round of the 2001 draft!!! Freakin' beautiful!

Now, here is the point of all of this...some of you have been posting of TD moving further up. I think TD will actually TRADE DOWN from pick #44 (the Cardinals draft position in the 2nd round that we are rumored to be getting in exchange for the #55 pick) and pick up more picks. For example, by sliding down from 44 to 50, TD should be able to pick up an additional 4th round pick in that scenario. This can be determined by the value chart (http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/8358748) posted by Gil Brandt on NFL.com. Depending on how far he is willing to trade down, he could turn it into an additional 3rd round pick.

Up until a few days ago, I was not very excited about the draft. If this TD trade goes through and we are able to swap picks with Arizona in the 2nd round, it is going to be fun to watch TD work his magic! 2 weeks, baby! 2 weeks!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He also wasted a 1st rounder on Bledsoe.

Though the trade did dramtically increase interest in the team.

299230[/snapback]

Can't say it was a waste because of what our QB situation was at the time, plus like you said, it increased interest in the team and gave us credibility (then) at that position.

Meanwhile, it's four seasons later and still no playoff appearances, much less championships.

Not that I disagree with you or anything.... :lol:

Given the title of the post, "The Lineage of Travis Henry..., ...and the genius of Tom Donahoe," I was expecting to see something like the following:

Heny The 1st begat

Henry The 2nd, who begat

Henry The 3rd, who begat

Henry The 4th, who begat

Henry The 5th, who begat

Henry The 6th, who begat

Henry The 7th, who begat

Henry The 8th, who begat

Henry The Aaron, who begat

Henry The O, who begat

Henry The Travis, who await's

Tom The Donahoe's efforts to trade him and win a Nobel Prize in the process.

If you think he's going to trade down with Arrowzoneah's #2 pick to pickup another pick - why wouldn't he simply keep his own #2 and instead trade with them directly for their 3rd or 4th?

That would be Henry The Travis for Leonard The Shelton and AZZZZZZZZ's 3rd or 4th.

Meanwhile, it's four seasons later and still no playoff appearances, much less championships.

Not that I disagree with you or anything.... :P

299249[/snapback]

Oh, how cruel to bring up that reality at a time when we're trying so hard to be kind and considerate.

:lol:

It would be a great move if TD can pull it off....because lets face it.....we could get a servicable linemen even if we DIDN"T get the swap of seconds....

An additional 4th rounder....sounds good to me

299228[/snapback]

another mid-round Teflon Tom can waste.

maybe another high motor white guy- like Coy Wire

He also wasted a 1st rounder on Bledsoe.

Though the trade did dramtically increase interest in the team.

299230[/snapback]

As bad a deal as it looks today it was a net benefit to the team. Granted DB was completely exposed in the latter half of his 1st year here and no more than serviceable there after, still until last seasons Steeler game it was not 100% certain he was done. And without him what?...We shall see with JP and this being entertainment the fans and franchise have renewed hope and will extend to JP much more tolerance. So the stands will fill

299267[/snapback]

right on. works hard every down. most of the effort is getting his ass off the ground because someone just crushed him. but he's trying hard

i do think donahoe is a damn good gm, and i feel comfortable with the direction he's taking us.

but, you have to appreciate the humor in the high motor white guy pick

Let's take a look at how and why Travis Henry has been so critical to the success of this team and how Tom Donahoe mastered this process...

(1) 2001.  Bills hold the 14th pick.  Fans are screaming for him to take Kenyatta Walker, the offensive lineman from Florida State.  TD trades down ~6 spots, picks up an additional 2nd round pick.  In the 21st position, he then selects Nate Clements, CB, Ohio State, a future Pro Bowler.  With the additional pick in the 2nd round, TD selects Travis Henry, RB, Tennessee, a future Pro Bowler.

(2) 2003.  In a move of sheer genius, TD tags Peerless Price, and then works out a deal with Atlanta for their pick in the 1st round (23rd pick).  Fans get frustrated while they watch two defensive ends (a need area for the team) get drafted --> Michael Haynes, Penn State gets drafted by Chicago, then Jerome McDougle, Miami gets drafted by Philadelphia.  Ok, Bills fans cross their fingers and now have their sights set on Jeff Faine, C, Notre Dame, but Cleveland takes him at the 21st spot.  In a surprising move, TD draft Willis McGahee, RB, Miami...and the entire draft is turned on its head!  And by the way, TD selects Chris Kelsay, DE, Nebraska in the 2nd round...a prospect that many had as a 1st round talent.

i am not so sure.if we dont have alot of money under the cap and it seems to me that most starting spots on this team are already filled,we are really only drafting for depth and future.i think we can actually trade some of these picks and trade up.all we really need and can afford are 3 quality players anyway.i;d like to see us trade our 4th,5th,6th and 7th picks and move up.dosnt have to be the 1st round,but would love to see us have like 2 2nd and 2 3rd round choices on draft day.go bills in'04

(3) 2004.  Given McGahee's explosion onto the scene, the Bills take off a great 2nd half of the season run...thereby making Travis Henry expendable.

(4) 2005.  TD will shipping Travis Henry in a trade for a solid (albeit, not great) offensive lineman and a move up in the 2nd round.

So, what does this tell us?  Look at what TD turned into gold by simply sliding down half-a-dozen spots in the 1st round of the 2001 draft!!!  Freakin' beautiful!

Now, here is the point of all of this...some of you have been posting of TD moving further up.  I think TD will actually TRADE DOWN from pick #44 (the Cardinals draft position in the 2nd round that we are rumored to be getting in exchange for the #55 pick) and pick up more picks.  For example, by sliding down from 44 to 50, TD should be able to pick up an additional 4th round pick in that scenario.  This can be determined by the value chart (http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/8358748) posted by Gil Brandt on NFL.com.  Depending on how far he is willing to trade down, he could turn it into an additional 3rd round pick.

Up until a few days ago, I was not very excited about the draft.  If this TD trade goes through and we are able to swap picks with Arizona in the 2nd round, it is going to be fun to watch TD work his magic!  2 weeks, baby!  2 weeks!

299221[/snapback]

299267[/snapback]

More like another mid-round that will end up on special teams. But the Bills special teams suck, right? Building the best special teams unit in the league is a real waste of mid-round picks. :lol:

Nope, it was Donahoe in his first draft, even though the Bills had Smith, Bryson, an Morris on the roster.

299648[/snapback]

They drafted Henry while I was in Mississippi, and Butler left while I was in NC the next year!! I remember things by where i moved to that particular year! :lol: