The Lineage of Travis Henry...

Now, TD has one seemingly reluctant trading partner, who is willing to give us a LT that he cannot wait to unload.

300040[/snapback]

That's not true, BINYC - at least the reluctant part. I read on a Cardinals' message board that Dennis Green goes to bed dreaming of Travis Henry every night, and that his wife gets upset because Green tends to mumble Henry's name in his sleep.

Travis is a future pro-bowler. He's motivated to get back there, as it is the one NFL game all year where a tailback doesn't have to block.

Dumping Price was the right move, as evidenced by his performance in Atl.  Bottom line is that Price is not a #1 WR, and it would have been a huge mistake to pay him like one.

And while Bledsoe flamed out, it was accepted that the Bills would have to draft his successor sometime soon, due to Bledsoe's age.  The plan was to keep Bledsoe for a couple of more years while Losman matured, so drafting JP was not necessarily forced on Donahoe.  Rather, Losman was forced into the lineup sooner than expected.

299975[/snapback]

I was as much in favor of trading Price as anyone. In fact, during the season I posted here my opinion that the Bills would be able to and should franchise and trade Price because of the very poor class of FA receivers. The problem was that the Bills did not replace Price. Price was a double edged sword, his loss ended up hurting 2003 Bills and his acquisition was a bust for Atlanta. A true case of the old Butler-era Bills belief that sometimes FA defections hurt the old team a lot more than they help the new one. Now they have McGahee for it, which is good, but it doesn't excuse the choice not to replace him or the poor decision to draft Josh Reed.

As for Bledsoe, I'm not sure the Bills were planning on drafting Bledsoe's successor so soon after acquiring him, let alone expending another first rounder on him. I think the truth is a lot closer to the Bills being panicked by Bledsoe's sudden meltdown and the desperation to get a legitimate replacement in camp and end the Bledsoe era ASAP. Had Losman not gotten hurt Bledsoe may have been on the bench by midseason.

:D

To me, Henry is a classic 2nd round running back.  He's a strong straight ahead runner (something that he was very successful at doing with the Bills), but lacked break-away speed, blocking skills, and was a below average receiver.

Basically the Bills got their return on him, but there was room for the team to improve the position, and they did with McGahee. 

Jennings got more responses because he was a FA.  Teams have to beat the offer of Henry to get into the Shelton bidding, and teams with a need at LT can't beat that offer.

The Cardinals need to decide if the want a top rated CB and Henry, or do they want Cedric Benson and a 2nd round CB.

If they don't trade, they'll end up dumping Shelton for nothing, due to salary.  At that point, interest in him will pick up.

300059[/snapback]

:ph34r: Nice, fair analysis. Another way to state it is that Henry would make a first-rate back-up runner for a playoff bound team with a very talented starter who may not yet be at 100% following a catastrophic injury. Gee, maybe we can sign him to a cheap one-year contract! Oh yea, he is already on the roster!