Shock! Outrage!

I saw a bit on the Daily Show I believe, where they were advocating Cookie changing his name to the Tomato Monster to encourage kids to eat healthier. I knew it was only a matter of time until someone took it to heart...

Political correctness is killing our society.  Time for Bert and Ernie to start advocating condom use.

299353[/snapback]

Or to quit stopping at highway rest stops---the bath houses of the millenium...

What's this world coming to when Cookie Monster gives up cookies??

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...ie_less_monster

299189[/snapback]

Here's a fact that some of you parents probably already know:

Cookie actually has a 'rap' song on the video Monster Hits called 'Healthy Food', which had to be realeased at least 10 years ago.

The video is a take-off on the Grammy Awards called the Fuzzy Awards, and plays all of the nominated songs.

Of Course in an interesting twist, the winner for best song is....C is for Cookie :lol:

Even politicians have gotten into the act, filming public service announcements with "Sesame Street" residents. Sen. Hillary Clinton and the small red monster discuss the various textures and tastes of foods.

"Well Elmo, Monica tells me that is has a creamy texture and a bit of a salty taste. Not my cup of tea if you know what I mean."

There were rumors that Cookie Monster had graduated from cookies to Black Tar Heroin a couple years ago. Oscar The Grouch was his dealer and he recently got busted. Good to see Cookie Monster clean himself up. Also rumored around the Street, Bert was charged with domestic violence for beating the crap out of Ernie. That's been going on for decades.

After raising 5 kids and spending about 20k on dental fillings. I'm glad to see that responsible parents will finally get at least a little support from the media. It's hard to compete with the high fat school lunches, the junk food machines in school and all the garbage that's advertised on TV.

This is rediculous. NO kid has ever gotten fat because a puppet pretends to eat cookies. I'd like to see the research or give me a quote about Johnny X who got fat because he wanted to be like Cookie Monster.

Give me a break. Makes me sick. I think Cookie Monster should eat more, not less. Kids like Cookie Monster because he is unrealistic. Now they are making him healthy and boring.

Sesamee Street is going in the wrong direction way too fast.

This is rediculous.  NO kid has ever gotten fat because a puppet pretends to eat cookies.  I'd like to see the research or give me a quote about Johnny X who got fat because he wanted to be like Cookie Monster.

Give me a break.  Makes me sick.  I think Cookie Monster should eat more, not less.  Kids like Cookie Monster because he is unrealistic.  Now they are making him healthy and boring. 

Sesamee Street is going in the wrong direction way too fast.

299499[/snapback]

Agreed 100%. In moderation, cookies aren't going to ruin a kids life. I don't think there is a need to barrage them with nothing but carrots and celery sticks 24x7.

Now if you were feeding them that new BK breakfast sandwich, that would be another story. :lol:

Seriously, does the term "personal responsibility" mean absolutely NOTHING anymore? A kid sees the cookie monster tossing cookies back. Then, he goes to the cookie jar and wants to imitate him? Ok, let's say that even happens. Ya know what would make him NOT eat those cookies? A fuggin parent there to say NO. Just because Big Bird has a pet wooly mammoth with a xanax addiction doesn't mean we go out and buy our kids a pet elephant...

give me a frigging break...

i honestly cannot believe this.

Darin, at times, I thought you were overboard with how much you said PC was taking over. Sorry, you were right all along.

This is awful.

299355[/snapback]

The first move toward mental maturity is always the most difficult one. :lol:

If the kids really did eat like Cookie Monster, they wouldn't be getting fat. I've never actually seen him swallow the cookies, he just chews them for the taste and then lets the crumbs fall out of his mouth, like a runway model eats.

He's a bloody puppet ........ and isn't a parent's job to have their kids eat healthy?? I don't think 3-year-old Johnny can go buy cookies these days by himself

299597[/snapback]

It's not about keeping a 3-year-old from eating cookies. It's about developing a life-long commitment to make rational decisions about a diet. The whole 'personal responsibility' thing is great in theory and less effective when parents have to work two FT jobs to have a roof over them. How is this different from the NRA creating the Eddie Eagle program to influence young kids to not play with guns (Stop. Don't touch. Leave the area. Tell an adult.)? There's no problem with a media program reinforcing a good habit. Doesn't mean it'll work, but kerist, what's the uproar?

It's not about keeping a 3-year-old from eating cookies. It's about developing a life-long commitment to make rational decisions about a diet. The whole 'personal responsibility' thing is great in theory and less effective when parents have to work two FT jobs to have a roof over them. How is this different from the NRA creating the Eddie Eagle program to influence young kids to not play with guns (Stop. Don't touch. Leave the area. Tell an adult.)? There's no problem with a media program reinforcing a good habit. Doesn't mean it'll work, but kerist, what's the uproar?

299657[/snapback]

Hey I'm just saying I think Cookie Monster is being made a scapegoat by people for their kids being fat little pudge balls. .... If your kid needs cookies, then give him some healthy ones ---- you got a Wegmans near you? They have an excellent selection of cookies

Hey I'm just saying I think Cookie Monster is being made a scapegoat by people for their kids being fat little pudge balls. .... If your kid needs cookies, then give him some healthy ones ---- you got a Wegmans near you? They have an excellent selection of cookies

299766[/snapback]

That and unplug them from the TC and video games and actually make them go outside....

he just chews them for the taste and then lets the crumbs fall out of his mouth, like a runway model eats.

The xanax diet. Take two and the food falls out of your mouth

If the kids really did eat like Cookie Monster, they wouldn't be getting fat.  I've never actually seen him swallow the cookies, he just chews them for the taste and then lets the crumbs fall out of his mouth, like a runway model eats.

299599[/snapback]

:blink::D;)

That and unplug them from the TC and video games and actually make them go outside....

299854[/snapback]

Amen to that....I allocate 40-45 minutes minimum an evening after I get home from work that both my kids and I go outside and play..anything......soccer, on the playground, etc....but it has to be physical activity......and weather (unless lightening or tornadoes are imminent) is irrelevant.

Sure the neighbors, some not all, think I am a nut job, but I see the difference and benefit. It is not easy to do, but I chose to be a parent and understand not everthing I do should be easy.