The play before the 1st half 2-min warning

scribo

There was criticism on the TV & online about Allen not getting a play off before the two-minute warning. But it seemed to me, even after rewinding the game, that they were operating under the belief that the clock had stopped. Well, Singeltary  DID make it out of bounds on the screen play before that. So the clock should have been stopped. But the clock kept running! Maybe I'm seeing things, but it seems to me the refs screwed this one up. Anyone else see this?

If you have access to it, watch the refs signal on the sideline. Hands crossing over the head, stop the clock, arm swirling like a windmill, the clock runs.

Now I don't remember the play clock running rules, but I believe that the rules changed about 10 years ago where even if the runner gets out of bounds, the game clock still runs except:

Last 2 minutes of 2nd quarter

Last 5 minutes of game

Change of possession

2 minutes ago, nkreed said:

If you have access to it, watch the refs signal on the sideline. Hands crossing over the head, stop the clock, arm swirling like a windmill, the clock runs.

Now I don't remember the play clock running rules, but I believe that the rules changed about 10 years ago where even if the runner gets out of bounds, the game clock still runs except:

Last 2 minutes of 2nd quarter

Last 5 minutes of game

Change of possession

That makes sense. I thought it was the final five minutes of each half. Thank you!

There was definitely one play for the Bills that I was like, hey the clock should be stopped. It must have been that one. I'll have to go back and check.

[edit] I guess that's the rules though as nkreed pointed out.

Edited by folz

30 minutes ago, scribo said:

There was criticism on the TV & online about Allen not getting a play off before the two-minute warning. But it seemed to me, even after rewinding the game, that they were operating under the belief that the clock had stopped. Well, Singeltary  DID make it out of bounds on the screen play before that. So the clock should have been stopped. But the clock kept running! Maybe I'm seeing things, but it seems to me the refs screwed this one up. Anyone else see this?

They're just practicing screwing up games for the AFC playoff games.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hebert19 said:

Isn't there a rule about how the runner goes out of bounds?  Like going backwards the clock continues to run?

25 minutes ago, ILBillsfan said:

correct if they rule forward momentum stopped before going out of bounds then yes

Or if a defender pushes them or even touches them as they go out of bounds. Basically the runner has to go out on their own. Not be touched by a defender. And do it while moving forward and facing forward. They cannot go out backwards in their heels and still stop the clock. 

I was glad the clock ran.  The Bill's had played so bad and were only down 8.  I thought it was more important to keep the Jets from scoring than for the Bill's to try for points.  Let the clock run out and regroup for the second half.