Retired FB LeRon McClain Pleads for Help, "I have to get my head checked."

Just now, MAJBobby said:

No I am not, there are MANY MANY ways out of a certain Life, FOOTBALL isnt the ONLY one.

So is every occupation in the United States.

Just now, MAJBobby said:

I feel he was very underpaid initially.

Well then it's his fault then right?  He should have chosen a higher paying job right?

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, dave mcbride said:

Dude - who are you even talking to? That's hardly my point. You're giving an answer to me for an issue I didn't even pose. 

"Well, "force" isn't really the best term. How about "pushed by" and "strongly encouraged to"? He was born in Indiana, his dad died in a car accident when he was 6, and his mom moved him to Alabama, where he played at Tuscaloosa County HS.  My point is that the pathways for these guys get set early, and if you're good, you're expected to stay on that track - and that goes double for kids from less fortunate backgrounds. It's one of the only ways out."

Just now, MAJBobby said:

"Well, "force" isn't really the best term. How about "pushed by" and "strongly encouraged to"? He was born in Indiana, his dad died in a car accident when he was 6, and his mom moved him to Alabama, where he played at Tuscaloosa County HS.  My point is that the pathways for these guys get set early, and if you're good, you're expected to stay on that track - and that goes double for kids from less fortunate backgrounds. It's one of the only ways out."

One of the ways to succeed as opposed to rot in a dead end career then? Let's compare - he got a job at McDonald's his senior year (a potential way out!) but also got a scholarship offer to Alabama to play football. Choice! 

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

So is every occupation in the United States.

Well then it's his fault then right?  He should have chosen a higher paying job right?

Sure if he could have........  These players PLAY a SPORT and are very very over compensated for it.  but soon it will end and wont have to hear about how all these players didnt know they could get hurt because the Money they are chasing is gone

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

As i added above: My ENTIRE point is that a) this starts a lot earlier than the NFL and b) players get tracked very early, usually with the prodding/strong encouragement of their parents. It's as if you assume 14-year olds are fully formed and fully autonomous actors who are impervious to suggestion and punishment/reward psychology. 

Just now, dave mcbride said:

One of the ways to succeed as opposed to rot in a dead end career then? Let's compare - he got a job at McDonald's his senior year (a potential way out!) but also got a scholarship offer to Alabama to play football. Choice! 

Yep Made his choice.  Continued to make his choice to continue to play.  

Am I sad his head hurts, sure.  Should the NFL play for his head hurting, NOPE

1 minute ago, Binghamton Beast said:

I don’t enjoy hearing about players suffering either. I just hate when people say, “this sport will be banned soon”, or that players don’t know the dangers. I mean, lets say they don’t know that blows to the head aren’t good for you.....would they all of a sudden walk away if they did know? This is the same sport where players get paralyzed on the field.

They know the risks.  I knew the risks and still know the risks and I still put my head in situations where I can get a concussion.  

Like I said, I'm not crying myself to sleep at night because, especially today, they know more and more about the risks.  I view it as I appreciate them putting in the sacrifice for my entertainment.  I also was supporting of Andrew Luck's decision to retire.  

3 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

I feel he was very underpaid initially.

Yeh well different jobs pay differently. The coal miners knew what they were getting themselves into. They're making WAY more than line cooks at the fast food joints...they all knew the risks.

Right?

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

Yep Made his choice.  Continued to make his choice to continue to play.  

Am I sad his head hurts, sure.  Should the NFL play for his head hurting, NOPE

In all of my posts, when I have raised this issue? Save it for the ones you're arguing with above, not me.

4 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Sure if he could have........  These players PLAY a SPORT and are very very over compensated for it.  but soon it will end and wont have to hear about how all these players didnt know they could get hurt because the Money they are chasing is gone

It's not going to end Bobby no matter how dramatic you become.  Wait, maybe you're right.  Boxing and MMA are sports where your intentionally throw strikes at the head over and over and over again.....they don't exist anymore because of it.

Edited by Royale with Cheese

Just now, GoBills808 said:

Yeh well different jobs pay differently. The coal miners knew what they were getting themselves into. They're making WAY more than line cooks at the fast food joints...they all knew the risks.

Right?

Yeah their choice

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

They know the risks.  I knew the risks and still know the risks and I still put my head in situations where I can get a concussion.  

Like I said, I'm not crying myself to sleep at night because, especially today, they know more and more about the risks.  I view it as I appreciate them putting in the sacrifice for my entertainment.  I also was supporting of Andrew Luck's decision to retire.  

Besides, even if you know the risks...why shouldn't you be able to get as much as you can? 

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

It's not going to end Bobby no matter how dramatic you become.  Wait, maybe you're right.  Boxing and MMA are sports where your intentionally throw strikes at the end over and over and over again.....they don't exist anymore.

No I am talking about all these players coming out for help.  the 1B settlement almost spent.  They can continue to accept the risks and play for their Money, but soon they wont be able to go back to the NFL and try and get more

5 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Yep, this is where it is headed, the money will be gone BUT no more people getting CTE. 

Just now, GoBills808 said:

Besides, even if you know the risks...why shouldn't you be able to get as much as you can? 

Many of these people come from poverty.  I know a guy who played in the SEC and now is a scout.  He's told me he's been in houses with dirt floors when recruiting players.

This kid has grown up in poverty, whole family in poverty....this is something that can help the entire family for generations and he has the talent to do it.  Yeah, I'm taking on the risks.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

No I am talking about all these players coming out for help.  the 1B settlement almost spent.  They can continue to accept the risks and play for their Money, but soon they wont be able to go back to the NFL and try and get more

Why do you care so much about how much money these guys make? I say go for it, get as much as you can! 

3 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Why do you care so much about how much money these guys make? I say go for it, get as much as you can! 

And if their Brain is Mush so be it.  It is their Risk they accepted

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Okay...so the next time a Cop is killed in the line of duty....no sympathy.  It was his choice to be a cop in the first place.

Actually nope. Paid the ultimate sacrifice to the public that is honorable 

Edited by MAJBobby