Baldy breaks down Oliver vs Nelson

11 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

How much football do you have to watch to determine a rookie O lineman (a Guard, no less) on a team outside of your division is better than all others in the NFL at his position AND better than nearly every player who has ever played that position in the games history?

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Who said 100?

You brought up the history of the game. The league itself is playing their 100th season...j/s

I wasn't being literal, just making a point. 

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

Ok so just so I understand the complaint

all pro and super good og Nelson got tested by rookie dt Oliver in his ever nfl preseason action

what is the problem again?

Shoot , I was celebrating. Thursday basically confirmed what I expected - that Oliver is going to be an elite , beast of a DL from day 1.  

Plugging Ed into a defense that has 6 starters in year 3 together and the other 4 in year 2 together is amazing! 

He's going to be the only new starter and no offense to 95 but he's going to be a huge upgrade talent wise. Kyle was past his prime and Ed has rare talent imo.

The leverage, strength, quickness and force he creates is unreal. He uses his smaller stature to his advantage. 

With the added depth , progression from guys like Edmunds,Harry,Neal etc . My expectation is #1 defense in the league for this defense

7 hours ago, Augie said:

It’s funny, but I’m just now watching the game for the first time, and I read this just as Nelson got him hands on Ed’s chest and Ed had no answer. Win some, lose some, but always room to improve! Nobody said Oliver was a finished product, but I sure am loving what I’m seeing! 

In one of the plays illustrated above, Nelson got his hands on him alright. In the form of two fistfuls of Oliver’s jersey. No DLman is EVER gonna defeat that vs. Nelson. There was a time an OLman couldn’t extend his arms and put his hands on the OLman at all. Rules were relaxed to allow OL to place hands on the opponent, but not grab. That’s been further relaxed to allow OLmen to grab as much of the front of the jersey as possible. Makes it almost unfair vs. a player as good as Nelson.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

Ok so just so I understand the complaint

all pro and super good og Nelson got tested by rookie dt Oliver in his ever nfl preseason action

what is the problem again?

Some are terrified the Bills might not suck this year.

49 minutes ago, Drunken Pygmy Goat said:

You brought up the history of the game. The league itself is playing their 100th season...j/s

I wasn't being literal, just making a point. 

ok

42 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Kyper??  Nice.

Mayock now has a real job. 

9 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

The topic is "generations."...

I'm not sure what to make of this post. What's your deal? Are you saying the argument is "how long is a generation"? 

12 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

It means once in a generation talent. That would make such a player “better than every other player who has ever played” that position.  Pretty simple definition of “generational”.  

You never said "100 years", but your definition of "generational" in that quote extends beyond 100 years.

Are you just ******* with people here or what? This cheese is smelly, but apparently I'm hungry.

Edited by Drunken Pygmy Goat

16 minutes ago, Drunken Pygmy Goat said:

I'm not sure what to make of this post. What's your deal? Are you saying the argument is "how long is a generation"? 

You never said "100 years", but your definition of "generational" in that quote extends beyond 100 years.

Are you just ******* with people here or what? This cheese is smelly, but apparently I'm hungry.

I don't know how else to help you friend.

A generational player means about the best in a generation--better than any other in a generation.  one of the best ever.

Go back to bed.

45 minutes ago, K-9 said:

In one of the plays illustrated above, Nelson got his hands on him alright. In the form of two fistfuls of Oliver’s jersey. No DLman is EVER gonna defeat that vs. Nelson. There was a time an OLman couldn’t extend his arms and put his hands on the OLman at all. Rules were relaxed to allow OL to place hands on the opponent, but not grab. That’s been further relaxed to allow OLmen to grab as much of the front of the jersey as possible. Makes it almost unfair vs. a player as good as Nelson.

That sounds like the play! O(n another Baldy says how Nelson finished ED......but it appeared Ed was laying on top of the RB at the time. Sloppy statements like that can hurt your credibility. 

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I don't know how else to help you friend.

A generational player means about the best in a generation--better than any other in a generation.  one of the best ever.

Go back to bed.

I thought the argument was "generational talent"? That was the original comment that triggered you. 

"Generational talent" is usually used to describe a young, up and coming player, often when coming out of college. This usually means the player has a very promising career, more so than most others.

"Generational player" is usually used to describe a player from the past, or a current player with a long enough career that can be compared to other "generational players" from the past. 

You should also refresh yourself on what the suffix "-al" means.

Good night :D

Edited by Drunken Pygmy Goat
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Augie said:

That sounds like the play! O(n another Baldy says how Nelson finished ED......but it appeared Ed was laying on top of the RB at the time. Sloppy statements like that can hurt your credibility. 

I like Baldy, but I think he mailed it in on that point. Never mind that he never got around to critiquing the play where Oliver drove Nelson into Brissett. At best, BEST,  Nelson played Oliver to a draw in that game. Personally, I think Oliver got the better of it overall considering the double team help Nelson had on a couple plays. That said, it was just a preseason game where opponents aren’t studying each other all week to prepare. 

But Oliver served one hell of a notice, regardless. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, K-9 said:

I like Baldy, but I think he mailed it in on that point. Never mind that he never got around to critiquing the play where Oliver drove Nelson into Brissett. At best, BEST,  Nelson played Oliver to a draw in that game. Personally, I think Oliver got the better of it overall considering the double team help Nelson had on a couple plays. That said, it was just a preseason game where opponents aren’t studying each other all week to prepare. 

But Oliver served one hell of a notice, regardless. 

I watched his breakdown once, then watched the game toady. I didn’t remember seeing the power rush into the QB. Did I miss it, did he accidentally omit it, or did he not want to show Ed’s best play one-on-one vs “Big Q”?  Hmmmm.......

9 hours ago, Augie said:

I watched his breakdown once, then watched the game toady. I didn’t remember seeing the power rush into the QB. Did I miss it, did he accidentally omit it, or did he not want to show Ed’s best play one-on-one vs “Big Q”?  Hmmmm.......

It was posted in this thread. Good pressure by Ed, but saying that he pushed Nelson "into Brissett" is an exaggeration. 

I will say that this was one of the worst Baldy "breakdowns" that I've seen as far as describing the play goes, but the overall theme is correct. Ed played his first professional game and drew an All Pro on most plays, and fared well enough considering the player in front of him. And having that assignment maybe was a blessing because it gives the coaches tape to show Ed that his hands game needs work.