ESPN's "Future Power Rankings"

6 minutes ago, Chemical said:

You used the term Patriot Killer to describe McDermott. He is 0-4 against them. I don't know what to tell you at this point you obviously don't like facts.

No. I said McDermott is building a Patriot killer NOW. As in after the Bills shed dead cap and signed players they want. To draft players to fit their scheme. You're the one who keeps looking at the last two seasons as proof of something. 

• Haha (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

No. I said McDermott is building a Patriot killer NOW. As in after the Bills shed dead cap and signed players they want. To draft players to fit their scheme. You're the one who keeps looking at the last two seasons as proof of something. 

I’ll repeat myself since your not getting it. Having Brady/Belichick makes a Super Bowl possible. Whether that’s only next season or he plays to 45 like he wants to. That ALONE gives NE a brighter future no matter how long the timeline. 

45 minutes ago, Chemical said:

I’ll repeat myself since your not getting it. Having Brady/Belichick makes a Super Bowl possible. Whether that’s only next season or he plays to 45 like he wants to. That ALONE gives NE a brighter future no matter how long the timeline. 

Ha! I don't care who it is. Betting on Brady and Edelman and Bennett to not only last forever but play at a champion level is not analysis, it's group think. It's easy to always bet the winner until the bottom falls out. No one thought the Bills were any good in 1987 either.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

14 hours ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

something tells me you were smiling when you posted this.

bills fan, pffft!

McDermott's teams haven't even been competitive with the Patriots.  In 2017, they were blown out 23-3 and 37-16.  In 2018 they lost the first game 25-6, and the second game, a deceiving 24-6, but NE was up 24-6 before the Bills scored a late TD with the game already decided.   That's a point differential of -72 with 3 of the losses by 19, 20, and 21 points.  What about this record suggests this team is likely to develop into a "Patriot killer" until Brady and Belichick ride off into the sunset? 

7 minutes ago, SoTier said:

McDermott's teams haven't even been competitive with the Patriots.  In 2017, they were blown out 23-3 and 37-16.  In 2018 they lost the first game 25-6, and the second game, a deceiving 24-6, but NE was up 24-6 before the Bills scored a late TD with the game already decided.   That's a point differential of -72 with 3 of the losses by 19, 20, and 21 points.  What about this record suggests this team is likely to develop into a "Patriot killer" until Brady and Belichick ride off into the sunset? 

STATS! 

So the fact that the Bills spent two years purging deadwood from the roster, in order to get to a point where actual team building can start, means nothing to you? You're seriously going to measure the future on the last two years? We have nothing more to discuss here. See you in the bandwagon later.

14 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Yes Derek Anderson was QB plan #1 to take down the Pats. Brilliant analysis.

Who's fault is that????  The Bills traded away Taylor and then AJ McCarron in order to start Nate Peterman.   Then they wasted a month of the regular season waiting for Anderson to finish up his golf tournament after it became clear to just about everybody but McDermott -- as early as the first half of the season opener -- that Peterman wasn't an NFL QB.

13 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Who's fault is that????  The Bills traded away Taylor and then AJ McCarron in order to start Nate Peterman.   Then they wasted a month of the regular season waiting for Anderson to finish up his golf tournament after it became clear to just about everybody but McDermott -- as early as the first half of the season opener -- that Peterman wasn't an NFL QB.

You are still skirting the fact that the Bills were not in a position to do much better than Taylor, McCarron or Anderson at QB those first two years. A little matter of $50MM in dead cap. Maybe you read something about that.

You can keep throwing out meaningless stats of the last few years if you like, but the real McBeane regime starts this season. And this team is being designed to attack the one flaw in Brady's game: pressure up the middle. I also know that the Patriots key players are old. They are not the slam dunk favorites to me. 

Edited by PromoTheRobot

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

You are still skirting the fact that the Bills were not in a position to do much better than Taylor, McCarron or Anderson at QB those first two years. A little matter of $50MM in dead cap. Maybe you read something about that.

You can keep throwing out meaningless stats of the last few years if you like, but the real McBeane regime starts this season. And this team is being designed to attack the one flaw in Brady's game: pressure up the middle. I also know that the Patriots key players are old. They are not the slam dunk favorites to me. 

Cry me a river for the Bills cap situation in 2018.  If the Bills organization -- from Pegula to Beane to McDermott -- was truly dedicated to building a winning team, they wouldn't have traded cap space for short term salary savings at the expense of wins, which is what they did in 2018.  Fifty million dollars in dead cap money means millions of dollars that the Bills didn't pay in actual salaries in 2018 -- and the Bills had one of the lowest actual team salary total in the league in 2018 because they traded away/released most of their higher paid players and filled their roster with too many non-NFL caliber players, many of them on rookie contracts so they were being paid peanuts.    The entire mess at QB last season was the result of the Bills trying to pinch pennies.  Tyrod Taylor isn't a starting caliber QB but he's more than adequate as a backup.   AJ McCarron didn't have Taylor's experience but he had shown himself decently in his limited regular season opportunities, which is much more than could ever been said for Nate Peterman.  Taylor's salary for 2018 was probably about $10 million, McCarron's about $3 million, and Peterman's about $700k.  The Bills took cap hits for trading away both Taylor and McCarron but saved millions in actual dollars by keeping Peterman.

This team is being built to play Jauron ball or Fox ball or Fisher ball -- play not to lose football -- featuring boring offenses and non-clutch defenses.  When the planets align perfectly, they have a winning season or even a playoff game but mostly they have excuses, even when they have good young QBs like Fox and Fisher had in Chicago and the Rams.

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Didn't realize it takes 3 years until "team building" can commence.

Thanks for clearing it up. ???

Yeah, somebody obviously forgot to tell that to Howie Roseman and Les Snead. 

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

It did in our case. Or did you expect a Super Bowl with $50MM in dead cap?

I don't expect a Super Bowl from Pegula, Beane, and McDermott at all.

I'm not sure how Pegula made his billions, but it doesn't seem likely that it was because he could identify people with "the right stuff".  In his 7 full years as Sabres owner, his teams have been sucked.  In his 5 full years as Bills owner, his teams have sucked except for one lucky season where the Bills squeaked into the playoffs before returning to their bottom-feeder ways.  Promoting Russ Brandon to head up both the Sabres and Bills sure paid off big in 2018.

Beane is a refugee from the Dave Gettleman regime in Carolina.  Gettleman does not seem to be a shining star among NFL GMs.   He inherited a decent Carolina team that he did get to the Super Bowl, but Carolina remains a feast or famine type team.  

McDermott is a defensive minded HC who doesn't know/care much about the offensive side of the ball, and that style is passe in today's NFL because it's not a formula for winning consistently in today's NFL.   Too many teams have high powered offenses that can score on almost any defense, and good enough defenses to easily stop mediocre offenses that aren't good in the Red Zone.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SoTier said:

Cry me a river for the Bills cap situation in 2018.  If the Bills organization -- from Pegula to Beane to McDermott -- was truly dedicated to building a winning team, they wouldn't have traded cap space for short term salary savings at the expense of wins, which is what they did in 2018.  Fifty million dollars in dead cap money means millions of dollars that the Bills didn't pay in actual salaries in 2018 -- and the Bills had one of the lowest actual team salary total in the league in 2018 because they traded away/released most of their higher paid players and filled their roster with too many non-NFL caliber players, many of them on rookie contracts so they were being paid peanuts.    The entire mess at QB last season was the result of the Bills trying to pinch pennies.  Tyrod Taylor isn't a starting caliber QB but he's more than adequate as a backup.   AJ McCarron didn't have Taylor's experience but he had shown himself decently in his limited regular season opportunities, which is much more than could ever been said for Nate Peterman.  Taylor's salary for 2018 was probably about $10 million, McCarron's about $3 million, and Peterman's about $700k.  The Bills took cap hits for trading away both Taylor and McCarron but saved millions in actual dollars by keeping Peterman.

This team is being built to play Jauron ball or Fox ball or Fisher ball -- play not to lose football -- featuring boring offenses and non-clutch defenses.  When the planets align perfectly, they have a winning season or even a playoff game but mostly they have excuses, even when they have good young QBs like Fox and Fisher had in Chicago and the Rams.

Yeah, somebody obviously forgot to tell that to Howie Roseman and Les Snead. 

I don't expect a Super Bowl from Pegula, Beane, and McDermott at all.

I'm not sure how Pegula made his billions, but it doesn't seem likely that it was because he could identify people with "the right stuff".  In his 7 full years as Sabres owner, his teams have been sucked.  In his 5 full years as Bills owner, his teams have sucked except for one lucky season where the Bills squeaked into the playoffs before returning to their bottom-feeder ways.  Promoting Russ Brandon to head up both the Sabres and Bills sure paid off big in 2018.

Beane is a refugee from the Dave Gettleman regime in Carolina.  Gettleman does not seem to be a shining star among NFL GMs.   He inherited a decent Carolina team that he did get to the Super Bowl, but Carolina remains a feast or famine type team.  

McDermott is a defensive minded HC who doesn't know/care much about the offensive side of the ball, and that style is passe in today's NFL because it's not a formula for winning consistently in today's NFL.   Too many teams have high powered offenses that can score on almost any defense, and good enough defenses to easily stop mediocre offenses that aren't good in the Red Zone.

Sounds like you are pretty much checked out on the Bills (yet, ironically, still on TBD.)  Well, we'll see how things play out. I'll be cheering for the Bills, while you'll probably climb back on the bandwagon by week 11.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

On 7/21/2019 at 6:31 PM, PromoTheRobot said:

Isn't most of the NFL nearly winless against the Patriots?

Yes Derek Anderson was QB plan #1 to take down the Pats. Brilliant analysis.

Besides I'm taking about the current team, in case that went over your head.

I've felt that Alllen wins that game. Anderson was brutal that night

Does anyone else feel kind of bad for the writers that are still saying they don’t think Allen will succeed? To have a year of film on the guy, watch him carry the offense with little help, and come away with the conclusion that he will fail... It boggles my mind. He is one of the most impressive QBs I’ve ever seen, we just need the talent level of the rest of the offense to catch up. Say what you will, but he turned an undrafted rookie receiver into one of the most productive in the NFL. He has actually gotten something out of fledgling Zay Jones.

On 7/21/2019 at 12:07 PM, PromoTheRobot said:

So Tre, Poyer, Hyde, Hughes or Shady aren't elite?

I think Hyde is elite. I think Poyer is good. 

Just notice a trend where our safety tandem is linked at the hip and often viewed as one player. 

Hyde has virtually no weaknesses while Poyer has tackling issues and is out of position a little too often. Very good safety, but not as good as Hyde.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Sounds like you are pretty much checked out on the Bills (yet, ironically, still on TBD.)  Well, we'll see how things play out. I'll be cheering for the Bills, while you'll probably climb back on the bandwagon by week 11.

If you want to blindly buy what Pegula, Beane, and McDermott are selling, knock yourself out excusing their moves.    As I've posted several times on this board already, I'll be happy to eat crow if the Bills are successful, but I'll remain skeptical until they actually do win.

6 hours ago, Troll Toll said:

Does anyone else feel kind of bad for the writers that are still saying they don’t think Allen will succeed? To have a year of film on the guy, watch him carry the offense with little help, and come away with the conclusion that he will fail... It boggles my mind. He is one of the most impressive QBs I’ve ever seen, we just need the talent level of the rest of the offense to catch up. Say what you will, but he turned an undrafted rookie receiver into one of the most productive in the NFL. He has actually gotten something out of fledgling Zay Jones.

ROTFLMAO.  None of the 2018 first round rookie QBs has proven he's likely to be a successful  NFL QB except for maybe Mayfield.  Darnold, Allen, Rosen and Jackson all have to improve their games significantly just to get to be "competent NFL QBs", and there's no guarantees that any of the five will be still be NFL starting QBs in five years.

• Like (+1) 1