ESPN's "Future Power Rankings"

31 minutes ago, SoTier said:

If you want to blindly buy what Pegula, Beane, and McDermott are selling, knock yourself out excusing their moves.    As I've posted several times on this board already, I'll be happy to eat crow if the Bills are successful, but I'll remain skeptical until they actually do win.

That's not being a fan. That's being a frontrunner.

On 7/20/2019 at 6:44 AM, billsfan5121 said:

Dumb question because I can’t see any of the descriptions for each team. How in the world is NE #2? Their QB is in his 40s, there’s no replacement in place, their skill positions are questionable. I get they are good today, and will be a playoff team, but what is the future here? Next year? If so, sure NE should be highly regarded because Brady could be back. But if this is projecting 3-5 years, no way should they be that high. 

And here’s the reality. Once Brady retires, they will likely be coming off a winning season (unless the wheels come off while he’s playing). So the first year post Brady won’t have a rookie QB who was highly drafted, unless they trade the farm to move up. So they will likely be bad the first year minimum. Then, they can draft a guy. But then that takes a little time, and may not even work.  So maybe they end up in purgatory. Anyways, I just dont understand how they can be #2. If I was projecting the next 3-5 years, I could probably think of at least 15 teams I think are in better position to be good.

edit: I see this is for the next 3 years.  I still think NE at 2 is crazy. Would you rather have a 45 year old Brady (or him retired), or a 26-27 year old darnold, Wentz, Watson, mahomes, Allen, etc?

Fair concerns, but I guess it all depends on if Belichick sticks around. We've seen him coach without Brady before, even for a full season, and they were still a very good team that won double digit games. Brady wants to play until he's 45, doubt he does, but he's 41 now. There's a chance (nightmare actually) that he follows through, but you never know. If anyone can do it, it's him unfortunately. 

But I agree that there's a strong chance they could drop off hard the first year after he retires, but knowing the Pats, they could be planning on hoarding draft picks to eventually trade up & grab his replacement.