The Montreal Rays?

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

The stadium was built for the 1968 Summer Olympics.

Hence the name 'Olympic Stadium'

There are baseball fans in Montreal and a demand for their Expos to return. The Jays have been selling out their last 2 exhibition games a year playing in Montreal the last few years and it's packed with Expos fans. If the Rays move there, it would also make them division Rivals with the Jays in the AL East

2 hours ago, row_33 said:

and a lot of the financial $$$ in Montreal went to Toronto starting in the mid-70s with a Separatist government installed at the Provincial level.

it would be nice to have a team in Montreal again, not sure how it is financially feasible, this is a huge $$$ undertaking

I figure 1/3 of games in Toronto are rescued to some extent by the dome, April and most of May are write-offs for weather, this particular June hasn't been pleasant or dry.

They have the ownership waiting, and plans/location for a new stadium are being worked out, MLB have pretty much said they are next in line for a franchise if those things are there. It's similar to the NHL and Quebec getting the Nordiques back. There's ownership waiting and an arena built, they are just waiting for the NHL to approve a relocation of a team now that they have Vegas and Seattle coming in expansion. After those 2 cities, the next in line would be Quebec

This is basically a last ditch effort to get the stadium funding and location for a new stadium in Florida approved, or they will relocate. This sharing idea will only happen for a couple seasons at most to finalize details of the move. It would make more long term sense for Miami and Tampa to Share the Marlins then Tampa and Montreal share the Rays.

4 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I don't know if a Buffalo team in MLB would have worked but Miami has been a total cluster****. They built a new stadium and still no one goes.

I don't think the Miami team has ever had owners who knew what they were doing besides making money strictly for themselves.  I think the Marlins won those two World Series titles despite Wayne Huizenga and John Henry. It seems like every owner of the Marlins deliberately fire sales all the talent.  So, for a Marlins fan, what's the point?  

Think about that...Huizenga, Henry and Jeffrey Loira have owned the Marlins.  Now it appears to be owned by yet another fire-selling stooge (Bruce Sherman) who has inexplicably given Derek Jeter the reins to run a baseball front office.   

I used to be a Pirates fan but divorced the team.  I could no longer take the cheapskate owner running it with no real plan to compete.

Edited by dpberr

25 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

They have the ownership waiting, and plans/location for a new stadium are being worked out, MLB have pretty much said they are next in line for a franchise if those things are there. It's similar to the NHL and Quebec getting the Nordiques back. There's ownership waiting and an arena built, they are just waiting for the NHL to approve a relocation of a team now that they have Vegas and Seattle coming in expansion. After those 2 cities, the next in line would be Quebec

This is basically a last ditch effort to get the stadium funding and location for a new stadium in Florida approved, or they will relocate. This sharing idea will only happen for a couple seasons at most to finalize details of the move. It would make more long term sense for Miami and Tampa to Share the Marlins then Tampa and Montreal share the Rays.

it's not similar, the MLB budget for a team dwarfs that of an NHL franchise, there would be zero problem selling out a Quebec City arena for 40 hockey games.

it's nice to have a private romantic fantasy about a baseball team in City X, but people have to go to the games, not just once every 3 years,  and they need corporate $$$ to make it work

5 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I don't know if a Buffalo team in MLB would have worked but Miami has been a total cluster****. They built a new stadium and still no one goes.

No one goes because they resent having to pay for it and refuse to watch the crap product they're putting on the field. 

I've been to a handful of big league parks and this stadium, by far, is the worst one I've been to.  It doesn't "feel" like  baseball.  At all.  Hard to describe.

13 minutes ago, Gugny said:

No one goes because they resent having to pay for it and refuse to watch the crap product they're putting on the field. 

I've been to a handful of big league parks and this stadium, by far, is the worst one I've been to.  It doesn't "feel" like  baseball.  At all.  Hard to describe.

90% of the hype of the Expos return has been from the Jays hoping everyone forgets the abomination they are going to put on the field for years to come.

7 minutes ago, row_33 said:

90% of the hype of the Expos return has been from the Jays hoping everyone forgets the abomination they are going to put on the field for years to come.

I respectfully disagree.  I think an Expos-redo would have tons of support and expectations would be realistic.

12 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I respectfully disagree.  I think an Expos-redo would have tons of support and expectations would be realistic.

you have little understanding of how it works up here in Ontario, let alone Quebec

the Canadian press is laughing on the floor at this "news item"

2 minutes ago, row_33 said:

you have little understanding of how it works up here in Ontario, let alone Quebec

How what works?

58 minutes ago, dpberr said:

I don't think the Miami team has ever had owners who knew what they were doing besides making money strictly for themselves.  I think the Marlins won those two World Series titles despite Wayne Huizenga and John Henry. It seems like every owner of the Marlins deliberately fire sales all the talent.  So, for a Marlins fan, what's the point?  

Think about that...Huizenga, Henry and Jeffrey Loira have owned the Marlins.  Now it appears to be owned by yet another fire-selling stooge (Bruce Sherman) who has inexplicably given Derek Jeter the reins to run a baseball front office.   

I used to be a Pirates fan but divorced the team.  I could no longer take the cheapskate owner running it with no real plan to compete.

That would have likely have been the life of an MLB franchise in Buffalo. Essentially a 4A farm team to the Sox and Yankees. Winning with limited funds is so hard there is no room for error. And even then, your best players will still leave and get paid elsewhere.

27 minutes ago, row_33 said:

That's interesting because I've read several stories touting Montreal as a good candidate for the MLB despite the way things went with the Expos.

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Exrays > Raypos.

Yeah, unless Kellen Winslow Jr., somehow makes the team, I can't see how Exrays would NOT be the more appropriate name.

• Haha (+1) 2