Greatest Musical Composers in Rock/Pop/Country/etc

Nice to see one of you guys (who is NOT an idiot) remember Pink Floyd -- a ton of quality work from them.  Limited to composers of Pop/Rock, you might want to consider Peter Gabriel too (both with and without Genesis).  Maybe not your cup of tea, but certainly a sizable catalog of high quality work as a composer.

• Like (+1) 2

On 6/7/2019 at 3:09 PM, K-9 said:

More power to them as I don’t think it detracts from their musical genius or the mastery they achieved playing instruments or singing. Some great musicians invented their own forms of notation as well, so I just can’t hold a lack of formal musical training against them, either. 

But classical composing is just a different animal entirely vs. pop music constructs, even though some pop pieces are far more complex than others in their own right. But it’s like comparing a Renaissance art work to a paint by numbers. 

I disagree.  A more appropriate art comparison would be comparing a Renaissance masterpiece to an Impressionist or Cubist masterpiece.  Different eras produce different genres with a tiny fraction of the art within each genre eventually becoming a masterpiece.

What we consider "classical music" today was a  tiny part of the  music of its era, that part which was both intended to appeal to the aristocracy, a very sophisticated audience, and which was good enough to endure.  A lot of the music that the aristocracy enjoyed at the time hasn't survived because it wasn't good enough.  Ordinary people of the time listened to different music ... some of it centuries old traditional music (folk music) and some of it more modern tunes created by contemporary musicians for singing, playing, and dancing in both public and private.   Almost all of the popular music from eras contemporary to classical music "masterpieces" hasn't survived, either, but some it -- especially melodies -- have become part of today's popular music.

On 6/13/2019 at 1:14 PM, Gugny said:

Not an expert, but from what I've read, I think they'd be worth a listen.  I'm a more-than-moderate Hendrix fan and I have yet to sample these recordings.  Thanks for the reminder.

found out last week he wrote with his right hand, so going lefty to play is that more far out....

16 hours ago, row_33 said:

found out last week he wrote with his right hand, so going lefty to play is that more far out....

Not everyone is strictly right- or left-handed. I write and eat left-handed, but I play guitar right-handed. (My guitar teacher is the same.) I'm right-handed in sports. Even stranger, I hold a handgun right-handed, but I shoot a rifle left-handed. It's not a conscious decision - I just pick up an object and hold it the way that feels natural to me.

Edited by WhoTom

1 hour ago, WhoTom said:

Not everyone is strictly right- or left-handed. I write and eat left-handed, but I play guitar right-handed. (My guitar teacher is the same.) I'm right-handed in sports. Even stranger, I hold a handgun right-handed, but I shoot a rifle left-handed. It's not a conscious decision - I just pick up an object and hold it the way that feels natural to me.

who said everyone is strictly left or right, it's not a conversation to straw man a person into 100% and then dismiss them

using the left side is unquestionably the minority way, i think it's a lot more natural than society will admit, and it's getting more open to allowing lefty

i naturally play guitar with my right hand as well, whoop dee doooooooooooooooooooo

finding your way as a right-handed person to play left-handed, with your Strat upside down is very very bizarre, fits perfect for Mr. Hendrix

perhaps you aren't a fan of Mr. Hendrix for his music or personality, that's okay as well....

On 6/13/2019 at 6:24 PM, SoTier said:

I disagree.  A more appropriate art comparison would be comparing a Renaissance masterpiece to an Impressionist or Cubist masterpiece.  Different eras produce different genres with a tiny fraction of the art within each genre eventually becoming a masterpiece.

What we consider "classical music" today was a  tiny part of the  music of its era, that part which was both intended to appeal to the aristocracy, a very sophisticated audience, and which was good enough to endure.  A lot of the music that the aristocracy enjoyed at the time hasn't survived because it wasn't good enough.  Ordinary people of the time listened to different music ... some of it centuries old traditional music (folk music) and some of it more modern tunes created by contemporary musicians for singing, playing, and dancing in both public and private.   Almost all of the popular music from eras contemporary to classical music "masterpieces" hasn't survived, either, but some it -- especially melodies -- have become part of today's popular music.

Well, I disagree with your disagreement as you don’t seem to grasp the nature of my analogy, which is based STRICTLY on the different level of complexity in compositions written for full symphony orchestration vs. music compositions written for the pop music of today. Maybe had you read all of my posts the thread, my meaning would have been clearer to you. 

Thanks for the music and art history lessons, though. Although none of that has to do with the discussion I was involved in here. 

the "classical" universe is always more widespread than one thinks

always new composers to discover, youtube has been amazing for finding recordings of 20th century string quartets

so keep enjoying!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

who said everyone is strictly left or right, it's not a conversation to straw man a person into 100% and then dismiss them

using the left side is unquestionably the minority way, i think it's a lot more natural than society will admit, and it's getting more open to allowing lefty

i naturally play guitar with my right hand as well, whoop dee doooooooooooooooooooo

finding your way as a right-handed person to play left-handed, with your Strat upside down is very very bizarre, fits perfect for Mr. Hendrix

perhaps you aren't a fan of Mr. Hendrix for his music or personality, that's okay as well....

Jeez - no need to get cranky about it.

I am a fan of his music and what I know about his personality suggests he was a decent guy, not that that has anything to do with which way he held a guitar. I merely pointed out that it's not exactly unique to be dominant with one hand for some things and the other hand for other things.