May Movies: Aladdin, Godzilla, John Wick & Rocketman

Oh, by the way, there are other movies being released after "Avengers: Endgame". The Summer Season is off with a massive explosion. So what's left? As it turns out, plenty. The studios are ready to bring their most exciting titles to you over the next couple of months. As always is this time of year, action rules. Yet, there are other offerings that are centered around comedy and drama and family fare too. Most of them come with very high budgets.

Leading the charge, once again is Disney, with another live action version of their classic animated tales.

Disney presents "Aladdin". A kindhearted street urchin and a power-hungry Grand Vizier vie for a magic lamp that has the power to make their deepest wishes come true. Starring Mena Massoud, Naomi Scott, Marwan Kenzari, Billy Magnussen & Will Smith.

Warner Bros. continues it's MonsterVerse series with, "Godzilla: King of the Monsters". The crypto-zoological agency Monarch faces off against a battery of god-sized monsters, including the mighty Godzilla, who collides with Mothra, Rodan, and his ultimate nemesis, the three-headed King Ghidorah. Starring Millie Bobby Brown, Sally Hawkins, Charles Dance, Vera Farmiga, Bradley Whitford, Kyle Chandler, Ziyi Zhang, David Strathairn & Ken Watanabe.

Keanu Reeves stars in, "John Wick: Chapter 3-Parabellum". Super-assassin John Wick is on the run after killing a member of the international assassin's guild, and with a $14 million price tag on his head - he is the target of hit men and women everywhere. Also starring Halle Berry, Ian McShane, Anjelica Huston & Laurence Fishburne.

Taron Egerton stars in, "Rocketman". A musical fantasy about the fantastical human story of Elton John's breakthrough years. Also starring Richard Madden, Bryce Dallas Howard, Stephen Graham, Jamie Bell & Tate Donovan.

Ryan Reynolds stars in, "Pokemon Detective Pikachu". In a world where people collect Pokémon to do battle, a boy comes across an intelligent talking Pikachu who seeks to be a detective. Also starring Justice Smith, Kathryn Newton, Bill Nighy & Ken Watanabe.

Nicholas Hoult is "Tolkien". The formative years of the orphaned author J.R.R. Tolkien as he finds friendship, love and artistic inspiration among a group of fellow outcasts at school. Also starring, Lily Collins, Colm Meaney & Derek Jacobi.

In "Brightburn", What if a child from another world crash-landed on Earth, but instead of becoming a hero to mankind, he proved to be something far more sinister? Starring Elizabeth Banks, Jackson A. Dunn, David Denman & Jennifer Holland.

Charlize Theron & Seth Rogen star in, "Long Shot". When Fred Flarsky reunites with his first crush, one of the most influential women in the world, Charlotte Field, he charms her. As she prepares to make a run for the Presidency, Charlotte hires Fred as her speechwriter and sparks fly.

In "The Hustle", Anne Hathaway and Rebel Wilson star as female scam artists, one low rent and the other high class, who team up to take down the men who have wronged them.

In "Booksmart", On the eve of their high school graduation, two academic superstars and best friends realize they should have worked less and played more. Determined not to fall short of their peers, the girls try to cram four years of fun into one night. Starring Kaitlyn Dever, Skyler Gisondo & Billie Lourd.

In "A Dog's Journey", A dog finds the meaning of his own existence through the lives of the humans he meets. Starring Dennis Quaid, Abby Ryder Fortson, Betty Gilpin & Kathryn Prescott.

In "The Intruder", A young married couple buy a beautiful house on several acres of land only to find out that the man they bought it from refuses to let go of the property. Starring Dennis Quaid, Meagon Good, Debs Howard & Michael Ealy.

In "Ma", A lonely woman befriends a group of teenagers and decides to let them party at her house. Just when the kids think their luck couldn't get any better, things start happening that make them question the intention of their host. Starring Octavia Spencer, Juliette Lewis, Luke Evans, Missi Pyle & Allison Janney.

Finally in "Ugly Dolls", The free-spirited UglyDolls confront what it means to be different, struggle with a desire to be loved, and ultimately discover who you truly are is what matters most. Starring the voices of Kelly Clarkson, Nick Jonas, & Janelle Monae.

Calendar with Trailers

5/3

"Long Shot":     https://longshot.movie/

"Ugly Dolls":     https://www.uglydolls.com/

"The Intruder":     https://www.sonypictures.com/movies/theintruder

5/10

"Pokemon Detective Pikachu":     https://www.detectivepikachumovie.com/

"The Hustle":     https://www.thehustle.movie/home/

"Tolkien":     http://www.foxsearchlight.com/tolkien/

5/17

"John Wick: Chapter 3-Parabellum":     https://www.johnwick.movie/

"A Dog's Journey":     https://www.universalpictures.com/movies/a-dogs-journey

5/24

"Aladdin":     https://movies.disney.com/aladdin-2019

"Booksmart":     http://booksmart.movie/

"Brightburn":     https://www.brightburn.movie/

5/31

"Godzilla: King of the Monsters":     https://www.godzillamovie.com/

"Rocketman":     https://www.paramount.com/movies/rocketman

"Ma":     https://www.mamovie.com/

That's all for now. I'll have the June Movies posted later. Until then.....Enjoy!

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

Same here, and the early buzz is very positive.

Hopefully this movie sets up the main event well..........

Godzilla vs King Ghidorah.

In the trailers, Rodan and KG clash in the air, but Rodan stops short and goes at KG with his claws. Talk about ultra-stupid. Rodan should be going full force like a missile with his power beak leading the way. With his speed and that beak he would undoubtedly pierce Ghidorah. I hope the movie plays out differently than the trailer when it comes to that air clash

Long Shot was total garbage.

It's the liberal rom-com of an SJW journalist, suffering from TDS, falling in love with an Idealized Hilary Clinton fantasy.

Seth Rogan plays the same worthless loser character he always does, while Charlize Theron pretends his SJW BS advice is wisdom worthy of her time, and risk to her career. This is "Knocked Up" with politics thrown into the mix.

Critics seem to love this movie.

• Like (+1) 3

5 hours ago, njbuff said:

Hopefully this movie sets up the main event well..........

Godzilla vs King Ghidorah.

In the trailers, Rodan and KG clash in the air, but Rodan stops short and goes at KG with his claws. Talk about ultra-stupid. Rodan should be going full force like a missile with his power beak leading the way. With his speed and that beak he would undoubtedly pierce Ghidorah. I hope the movie plays out differently than the trailer when it comes to that air clash

I'm sure the very best is yet to be seen in this movie.

9 hours ago, unbillievable said:

It's the liberal rom-com of an SJW journalist, suffering from TDS, falling in love with an Idealized Hilary Clinton fantasy.

Seth Rogan plays the same worthless loser character he always does, while Charlize Theron pretends his SJW BS advice is wisdom worthy of her time, and risk to her career. This is "Knocked Up" with politics thrown into the mix.

I wanted to see it as the reviews are positive, and the preview looked clever. Guess I'll wait until it hits HBO or Starz or something.

Going to see John Wick 3. This is hubby's idea, not mine. It can't be worse than the second one, and with luck will be as good as the first one.

I talked my son into going to see Pokémon as part of some bonding time. We will probably head out next weekend or the weekend after that. He's looking at it was nostalgic, I am looking at it as a clean Ryan Reynolds movie.

10 hours ago, unbillievable said:

That's why the critics loved it.

1 hour ago, Mark Vader said:

That's why the critics loved it.

I read a few reviews after watching the movie to see why it got so many positive reviews. The majority of critics seem to think it's clever commentary on the state of the white house, the GOP, and conservatives in general. While It can be seen as satire, the consistent right-wing ridicule got old after awhile.

The jokes were mostly penis/sex jokes, toilet humor, and conservative bashing, none of which I found very funny funny.

10 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

I'm sure the very best is yet to be seen in this movie.

Rumor has it all the monsters, except Godzilla, will be under the spell of the devilish Ghidorah.

That would be interesting.

?

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, unbillievable said:

I read a few reviews after watching the movie to see why it got so many positive reviews. The majority of critics seem to think it's clever commentary on the state of the white house, the GOP, and conservatives in general. While It can be seen as satire, the consistent right-wing ridicule got old after awhile.

The jokes were mostly penis/sex jokes, toilet humor, and conservative bashing, none of which I found very funny funny.

Political messaging and social awareness has become more important in movie making, than artistic vision and talent.

Sad but true fact.

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/12/2019 at 8:29 PM, Mark Vader said:

Ryan Reynolds stars in, "Pokemon Detective Pikachu". In a world where people collect Pokémon to do battle, a boy comes across an intelligent talking Pikachu who seeks to be a detective. Also starring Justice Smith, Kathryn Newton, Bill Nighy & Ken Watanabe.

This is such an absurd premise that I have to see it.  

• Haha (+1) 1

17 hours ago, njbuff said:

Rumor has it all the monsters, except Godzilla, will be under the spell of the devilish Ghidorah.

That would be interesting.

?

That is an interesting take. Adds more to the mystique and power of Ghidorah.

Unlike in the older movies where the monsters would be controlled by beings from outer space.

On 5/14/2019 at 3:07 PM, Mark Vader said:

That is an interesting take. Adds more to the mystique and power of Ghidorah.

Unlike in the older movies where the monsters would be controlled by beings from outer space.

I wonder if there will be two Godzilla’s in this movie?

That information hasn’t leaked out.

I wonder if burning Godzilla is a second Godzilla instead of Godzilla transforming into burning Godzilla.

On 5/15/2019 at 1:35 PM, njbuff said:

I wonder if burning Godzilla is a second Godzilla instead of Godzilla transforming into burning Godzilla.

I'm hoping for mecha-Godzilla.

John Wick 3 was a fun movie. Much better than the 2nd one. Might be better than the 1st. 

They figured out what people wanted to see in a John Wick movie and made it non-stop for 2hrs.

Probably going to see Aladin, but trying to convince my friends to go to the dinner & movie theater/restaurant. I figure that It will probably suck and I would need something to do during the cringe parts (Will Smith.)

Edited by unbillievable

22 hours ago, unbillievable said:

John Wick 3 was a fun movie. Much better than the 2nd one. Might be better than the 1st. 

They figured out what people wanted to see in a John Wick movie and made it non-stop for 2hrs.

Probably going to see Aladin, but trying to convince my friends to go to the dinner & movie theater/restaurant. I figure that It will probably suck and I would need something to do during the cringe parts (Will Smith.)

I only think 4 monster are Toho monsters (Godzilla, King Ghidorah, Rodan, Mothra).

On 5/19/2019 at 9:52 PM, unbillievable said:

Yeah, how do you follow Robbin Williams?   I hate Disney remaking these classic animated films to make a quick buck.  I cringe at Aladdin and The Lion King.  Toy Story 4 on the other had.  Can't wait.

I haven't bothered with the John Wick movies yet.  Are they that much different from series like Taken or The Equalizer to be worth the time?

4 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Yeah, how do you follow Robbin Williams?   I hate Disney remaking these classic animated films to make a quick buck.  I cringe at Aladdin and The Lion King.  Toy Story 4 on the other had.  Can't wait.

I haven't bothered with the John Wick movies yet.  Are they that much different from series like Taken or The Equalizer to be worth the time?

Wick is lighter than those movies. Sortof.

It's basically a 2 hr long meme: What would happen if you piss of Chuck Norris...

Also, the world-building aspect replaces a conventional story as the plot driver.

Personally, I like Wick better than other similar franchise. (Jack Reacher, Transporter, etc...)

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

How often do those movies get nominated for best picture?

What does that have to do with your comment "...Political messaging and social awareness has become more important in movie making, than artistic vision and talent."

The only awards that matters in Hollywood are Box Office receipts.

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

What does that have to do with your comment "...Political messaging and social awareness has become more important in movie making, than artistic vision and talent."

The only awards that matters in Hollywood are Box Office receipts.

The point is that the movies with political messaging and so forth, are the ones that are recognized and glamorized for being "cutting edge" and "thought provoking" and hailed as "the greatest ever made".

Hollywood loves to reward movies that are in step with their ideology. How else does a movie like "Argo" win tons of awards or "Get Out" gets a best picture nomination.

Yes, the big budget movies get all the box office receipts, but they are viewed as frivolous and not viewed as serious awards material. If they did, then movies like "The Dark Knight" would have gotten a best picture nomination.

The Box Office receipts keep Holly wood rolling, but the year end awards do matter to them as well.

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Wick movies have a totally different tone than those. They're much more entertaining, being that they're shoot-em-up films.

Keanu Reeves' training for Wick was intense. Does most of the stunts himself. At least all the fighting stuff.

14 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

The point is that the movies with political messaging and so forth, are the ones that are recognized and glamorized for being "cutting edge" and "thought provoking" and hailed as "the greatest ever made".

By whom?    The 8,000+ members of the AMPAS?   The couple dozen national film critics that remain relevant?    The PR flacks cranking up the 'buzz' during awards season? 

The art house movies that studios produce are like farts in the wind.   Often forgotten after one awards cycle and hardly ever thought of as "the greatest ever made."     Their box office receipts certainly don't reflect that attitude among the general public...

12 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Saw Wick. DEFINITELY worth the price of admission, then again I'm a fan of the franchise

That movie kicked so much ass. Hard to believe Keanu is 54.

30 minutes ago, Rico said:

I still say you gotta have a bigger head and a neck to be Godzilla.

godzilla_1962_01.jpg

They have remade Godzilla so much over the years that it's difficult to keep up with his look.

But King Ghidorah looks bad azz for this movie.

2 minutes ago, njbuff said:

They have remade Godzilla so much over the years that it's difficult to keep up with his look.

But King Ghidorah looks bad azz for this movie.

No doubt about that.

Don't get me wrong, I am definitely going. :thumbsup:

13 minutes ago, Rico said:

No doubt about that.

Don't get me wrong, I am definitely going. :thumbsup:

I wish Godzilla was a heel though. He is much more powerful as a heel and is impossible to deal with as a heel.

But, as long as the movie doesn't disappoint............. as monster movies tend to do, as there is too much of the human element, which destroys monster movies.

2 minutes ago, njbuff said:

I wish Godzilla was a heel though. He is much more powerful as a heel and is impossible to deal with as a heel.

But, as long as the movie doesn't disappoint............. as monster movies tend to do, as there is too much of the human element, which destroys monster movies.

I'm good so long as this guy doesn't make an appearance.

0X8Dh.jpg

:doh:

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, njbuff said:

What's worse, that or this......

shobijan.thumb.jpg.2759af4231433643efbe75afe634341c.jpg

That. :lol:

These two didn't bother me as much. Maybe if I was a more of a Mothra fan, they would be more annoying.

Edited by Rico

2 hours ago, Rico said:

That. :lol:

These two didn't bother me as much. Maybe if I was a more of a Mothra fan, they would be more annoying.

Whenever they sang that darn Mothra song, it made me sick to my stomach.

3 hours ago, njbuff said:

What's worse, that or this......

shobijan.thumb.jpg.2759af4231433643efbe75afe634341c.jpg

Idk about you, but I'd rather look at some cute Asian chicks....

Maybe the new Godzilla will feature a K-pop montage??

Edited by LeGOATski

Aladdin was merely "Okay".

It's almost a scene by scene remake of the original, with a very notable exception,  The added #metoo Jasmine scenes. It was so out of place, that many people got confused what was going on. The Jasmine story-line was changed to appease the far-left, which seems pointless since they already boycotted the movie because the leads weren't Arabic enough. (too indian).

Definite rental movie.

Although, I was told the CGI looked a lot better in 3D than 2D. They were probably the worst I've seen years.