Mr. Wilson, still helping out Buffalo

15 hours ago, The Senator said:

A lot of people didn’t joke when they said that. They seriously meant it and had a serious dislike for Mr Wilson 

1 minute ago, mrags said:

A lot of people didn’t joke when they said that. They seriously meant it and had a serious dislike for Mr Wilson 

I think a lot of people felt that he was a wonder philanthropist who did a lot for Western NY ... but that he was not a very good NFL owner.  Two entirely different things.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I think a lot of people felt that he was a wonder philanthropist who did a lot for Western NY ... but that he was not a very good NFL owner.  Two entirely different things.

I’m sure those people either didn’t remember the 90s or were too young to know about them. 

Mr Wilson had one of the most dominant teams in nfl history. And that was before the salary cap took place.

46 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Yep, good dude for sure... naive owner though. 

Well at least we won a couple of championships... not being selfish to think about him as just football he really had helped a Lot of people... and it continues on after his death... good people.

• Like (+1) 2

I have tons of respect for Ralph, and the way his estate has forced philanthropy.

I am very thankful he kept us here for so long.

People who said he was cheap were flat out wrong. He wasn't cheap, he just wasn't the greatest 'football guy' and paid the wrong people.

Ask Langston Walker how cheap Ralph was...

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, mrags said:

I’m sure those people either didn’t remember the 90s or were too young to know about them. 

Mr Wilson had one of the most dominant teams in nfl history. And that was before the salary cap took place.

Yep.  He had four outstanding years.  The vast majority of the rest were either "okay," or "embarrassing."

25 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Yep.  He had four outstanding years.  The vast majority of the rest were either "okay," or "embarrassing."

Well. He had from 88 until about 94. Then some years there in the late 90s. 

he also had those AFL championships. 

But none of that deserves people calling him cheap. They don’t have to do with the success of the team. The fact is, he’s always spent money. Just not always in the right spots 

Just now, mrags said:

Well. He had from 88 until about 94. Then some years there in the late 90s. 

he also had those AFL championships. 

But none of that deserves people calling him cheap. They don’t have to do with the success of the team. The fact is, he’s always spent money. Just not always in the right spots 

As someone stated above .... he wasn't cheap.  He just didn't know how to spend his money well (as you also stated).  He wasn't a very good owner.  He was a hell of a man, though.  That's what matters most.

Just now, Gugny said:

As someone stated above .... he wasn't cheap.  He just didn't know how to spend his money well (as you also stated).  He wasn't a very good owner.  He was a hell of a man, though.  That's what matters most.

I also stated that many people that brought up the “Ralph is cheap” comments generally didn’t like him and thought he was terrible in general. 

I don’t  even know what we’re arguing anymore. Ralph is continuing to prove the haters wrong. 

9 minutes ago, mrags said:

I also stated that many people that brought up the “Ralph is cheap” comments generally didn’t like him and thought he was terrible in general. 

I don’t  even know what we’re arguing anymore. Ralph is continuing to prove the haters wrong. 

I don't think we're arguing.  Other than his demand to draft CJ Spiller, he was alright by me.